PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 Pro Slowdown

noel evans
02-12-2003, 10:30 PM
My PC is an Athlon 3000XP running W2K Pro. It is very lightly loaded with applications and data (about 4% of a 120Gb HDD), but has started to run extremely slowly. I suspect a virus.

I noted a file in <Task Manager><Processes> Wintcfg32.exe that my son, does not have on nearly identical systems at his home and work, and I wonder whether this might be a problem. I can find no reference to it in any Microsoft site, and in fact a search turns up simply no matches.

When I try to stop or pause this file, it will not allow me.

Has anyone encountered this and found a solution?

rgds
Noel

tweak\'e
02-12-2003, 10:43 PM
and what does your antivirus say ??

Murray P
02-12-2003, 11:35 PM
Nothing on google and its not on my 2k pro system as an exe or dll nor is tcfg32.exe or dll.

I'd be very suspicous of it. Do you get a dialogue pop up box when you try to terminate it?

Run your antivirus and Spybot/Adaware with latest updates loaded and see what they come up with.

Cheers Murray P

godfather
03-12-2003, 12:00 AM
Wincfg32.exe on the other hand is a worm.

Can you confirm the exact spelling?

Babe Ruth
03-12-2003, 09:21 AM
Noel Evans,

As others have suggested it may be a worm. Download and use Stinger (http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/) (currently v1.92) from McAfee/Network Associates. This may help in checking for such nasties...

Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilises next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally signed DAT files, and scan performance optimisations.

Cheers, Babe

noel evans
03-12-2003, 09:49 AM
Nothing unusual. I run CA's e-Trust and it has proved very reliable to date.

kiwibeat
03-12-2003, 12:20 PM
have you recently installed anything new onto it also Office fastfind can slow your PC to a crawl

kiwibeat
03-12-2003, 12:21 PM
try running windowwasher or washandgo also regcleaner thru it and do a defrag afterwards

noel evans
06-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Thanks for your advice. Tried it but no go. Have re-installed the OS (+ most software) and backed up data, and now is OK.