PDA

View Full Version : GoodBye Windows Messenger

csinclair83
02-12-2003, 10:02 PM
IN Decembers PC WOrld it mentions microsoft is getting rid of windows messenger and defaulting the firewall to be on...

does this mean windows messenger is bye bye what about msn messenger? they are the same thing just a different name/version etc

I apologise if this subject sounds like a spam mail as i get quite a few forwards from friends saying "send this to 10 ppl then msn wont shut down blah blah"

Babe Ruth
02-12-2003, 10:12 PM
Chris,

Microsoft is talking about the Windows XP Messenger service (a system service) is to be defaulted to Disabled (or at least set to Manual start). Don't confuse MSN messenger and the MS Messenger IM utilities with Windows XP system services.

Cheers, Babe :)

stu140103
02-12-2003, 10:13 PM
> IN Decembers PC WOrld it mentions microsoft is
> getting rid of windows messenger and defaulting the
> firewall to be on...

I have not yet read this monthís pcworld, so I might be wrong here but I think...

> does this mean windows messenger is bye bye what
> about msn messenger? they are the same thing just a
> different name/version etc

As far as I am aware win messenger use to be better then msn e.g. you could do more with it, but now since msn messenger has got all most every thing that win has, MS has found out that they donít really need it any more, so I think MS will be saying bye bye to win messenger

I hope this helps

csinclair83
02-12-2003, 10:15 PM
page 25 bottom half its there :) unless u havnet got the mag yet

thanks stu and babe for that..

was kinda worried that i'd be losing msn coz i'm deaf and yeah

Chilling_Silently
02-12-2003, 10:46 PM
It does say "Windows Messenger Service". Windows Messenger is not a service, but rather a pain in the ass app for those who are too lazy to get the real MSN and use that (Or a better IM Protocol).

There are about 6-7 other services which can and probably should be turned off by default in Windows XP. AFAIK, One of them was Smart-Card reading which the vast majority of users simply dont bother with....
There's others but I cant remember coz I've disabled them on the Family's XP Pro machine.

Apparently MSN Messenger will be charged for sometime too... I dont have hard evidence of this so dont bother asking, but Im pretty sure I read it in an article somewhere, they were talking about MS charging for certain MSN Chat room's etc, and mentioned that "the viability of such a venture was being investigated"...

Sounds stupid, but its just the sorta thing Microsoft would do... :-(

Chill.

csinclair83
02-12-2003, 10:53 PM
if ms charges then i;m off to trillian...
theres zillions of other programs and am sure theres more coming when ms starts charging as ppl would be starting to make their own and so on

they would lose alot of ppl if they start charging..

Chilling_Silently
02-12-2003, 11:01 PM
They'd charge for use of the Protocol, not the software.. eg Trillian would work, but only after you'd paid MS a fee to give/keep your account with them....

nadius
02-12-2003, 11:03 PM
remote registry is always a good one to disable. cause the ONLY person allowed to modify my resgistry is me.

Murray P
02-12-2003, 11:25 PM
> There are about 6-7 other services which can and
> probably should be turned off by default in Windows
> XP. AFAIK, One of them was Smart-Card reading which
> the vast majority of users simply dont bother
> with....
> There's others but I cant remember coz I've disabled
> them on the Family's XP Pro machine.

There's a whole bunch of them that are didgy, especially if you have no idea or intention to use them. Some are resourse hogs and some are security risks. I don't remember which to disable or put on manual or auto either but, if anyone wants to check it out for themselves there's a great site with explanations and what to do with each service and a few other bits and pieces in the OS. Black Viper (http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/articles.htm) has info on various versions of XP, win2k, ME, etc. Find it on the left side bar or scroll down the middle of the page for that and other goodies on linux, server and game info..........................

Cheers Murray P

Thomas
03-12-2003, 09:01 AM
I prefer Yahoo,seems to be independant of M/S?

Chilling_Silently
03-12-2003, 09:06 AM
I'd like to see anybody try and make me pay for my Jabber.org account!

caffy
03-12-2003, 04:37 PM
> was kinda worried that i'd be losing msn coz i'm deaf
> and yeah

Chris, i dont think there's any reason for you to worry, because from what i remember is that all Deaf people used ICQ (those free texts were a plus!), and then when that started having problems (like viruses infecting people's computers thru ICQ - from unknowingly accepting files from unknown people) everyone moved over to MSN Messenger...As far as I know, everyone's stayed there since, but a few of us tried out Yahoo messenger, and still sometimes use it.

Everyone will just go with the flow - i.e if MSN Messenger *did* close/start charging, we would simply find a new Instant Messenger :)