PDA

View Full Version : Lan problems

b0r3d_b4st4rd
02-12-2003, 08:20 PM
I have got networking problems. I am trying to lan a 367mhz pentium 2 to a 1.8ghz pentium 3. The pent 2 has got xp pro and pent 3 has xp home. The comps have been lanned before but have both had a reinstall since. I can get the 2 computers to ping eachother successfully but file sharing doesnt work and printer sharing doesnt work either.

Please help me.

Thanks in advance

Ian

MrBeef
02-12-2003, 08:24 PM
install file sharing and printer sharing.

I aint to hot with XP but it's in Networking Properties

and then share a drive or printer, but printer drivers must be installed on client computer before printer is to work.

*i think*

b0r3d_b4st4rd
02-12-2003, 08:36 PM
its already installed and ive tried that but it doesnt work. : /

b0r3d_b4st4rd
02-12-2003, 08:39 PM
when i go my network places, entire network, microsoft windows network I get an error

Unable to browse the network.

The network is not present or not started.

For more information click help.

Does this help at all?

stu140103
02-12-2003, 10:19 PM
Have you had a look at our FAQ (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21674) on networking?

And have a look at all the settings & make sure they are correct.

Chilling_Silently
02-12-2003, 10:38 PM
Im going to nail this down to Authentication again....

Try following these very careful yet extremely simple instructions and lemme know how you get on, as permissions are one of the biggest screw-ups of users when networking!

Make a user on both machines, who cares about the name, just make sure its EXACTLY the same on both. "User" is a good one!
Give the user Admin rights just for the heck of it ;-)

Next, the user MUST have a password, and it MUST be the same on both PC's... That doesnt mean that there's no password on both PC's and its the same, there MUST be a password or chances are you'll run into problems.
"password" is a good one to start with....

Next, logout of the user you're in on either of the PC's (Just one will do to start with).

Log in as the new "User" you've just created with the "password" you've given it... ;-)
Now, open up Internet Explorer (I say this because some people disable the Address Bar in Explorer, its pretty uncommon for it to be like that in IE though) and type:
\\OtherPcNameHere\SharedDocs\

This should give you the shared folder on the other PC :-)

From here, you can then try:
\\OtherPcNameHere\C$\
That should give you the C: Drive on the other PC.

Hopefully by now you've figured that the users need an account on the other machine with exactly the same username/password to be accepted, so feel free to login as your regular user and create an account on the other machine with the same user/pass.

Hope this helps, sorry its a bit long-winded :p

Cheers

Chill.