PDA

View Full Version : Susan faq9

merlin-nz
02-12-2003, 05:13 PM
Hi susan,

I tried to delete the temperory Internet files as so <Start>Settings>Control Panel>Internet Options><General>. In the <Temporary Internet Files> section click on <Delete Files> and <OK>.

No such luck,
I followed your instructions to the letter by going into DOS but still no luck, then I had a nights sleep and remembered about a year ago you and I done all this then. For window ME.
So I hunted high and low for all the corrospondence and found on the 22nd May 2002 at 17:50pm you posted to me thus:

<Close all your programs, click on Start, Shutdown and choose Restart in MS-DOS mode. Or use your WinME Boot/Startup disk. Put the disk in your floppy drive and restart the computer. At the menu screen, choose ?minimal boot?. This will bring you to the A: prompt.

A:>
Type ?C:? (enter)
Type cd _windows (enter)
You should now see the prompt read ?C:\>Windows>

At the C:\Windows> prompt type "smartdrv" and hit Enter.
(You won't see anything significant.)

At the C:\Windows> prompt type "deltree_/y_tempor~1" and hit Enter.
(You'll see a message that your Temporary files are being deleted.)

At the C:\Windows> prompt type "deltree/y_cookies" and hit Enter.
(You'll see a message that your Cookies are being deleted.)

At the C:\Windows> prompt type "deltree_/y_history" and hit Enter.
(You'll see a message that your History is being deleted.)

At the C:\Windows> prompt type "exit" and hit Enter. (Windows will reload.)
Or (remove Boot Disk and press Alt-Ctrl-Del) to restart the PC.

Are you also cleaning up the rest of your hard drive, eg temp files? If you do a search for *.tmp you can delete everything that results from that.

This sort of 'housekeeping' is much more satisfying than dust and dirt cleaning, eh?!>

Now that work back then for WinME. And worked this time except that it did not delete all the temp files. Tried half a dozen times.

Now I don't know if by deleting the <TEMP Folder> as suggested not too, (but the only way that I could delete the said Folder contents), by doing so the contents of <Content.IE5> could then be deleted, but the subfolder titles changed but the contents had disappeared. Go figure.

I had read some where that you could delete the windows TEMP Folder, because windows just grows another one, or something like that so thus is why I deleted the said folder to see what would happen.

I hope I have explained myself satisfactory.

cheers merlin-nz ;-)

Susan B
02-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Hi Merlin :-)

Yes, I thought I remembered us going through this thing a while ago but wasn't 100% sure if it was you or not. :-)

> the subfolder titles changed but the contents had disappeared.

Yes, that is what does happen and is OK. I've gotten a bit rusty on this business now because I am used to Win 98 and Win XP but I thought I read somewhere not to delete the actual Temp folders from within Windows, just their contents. Also not to delete the Temporary Internet Files folder itself but as you have done it with no ill effects then that is OK.

In the FAQ "Deleting the index.dat files" one does delete those temp folders but from within DOS, not Windows. They regenerate after booting back into Windows.

You might be interested in having a look at RegSeeker (http://www.webattack.com/get/regseeker.shtml), a registry cleaner that I have recently found and am very impressed with. It is able to delete various History and index.dat contents as well as view them. I am impressed with the registry cleaning part as well, though I would advise you only use that feature if you are familiar and experienced with the registry.