PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 9600 Pro users

Blue_face
02-12-2003, 10:57 AM
Hi....

Have you having playing Command & Conquer Generals using this card? because my pc frozen at the menu screen everytime. This is the only game with trouble.

If you know how to fix, plz let me know.

running Winxp Pro
directx 9 (no problem found).
pervious display driver and uninstalled.
latest radeon 9600 Pro driver has updated.

yang11
02-12-2003, 02:09 PM
like mainboard model... cpu ... ram...
C&C:generals's menu is slow for my P4-2.4g too. but it never freeze.
what other BIG games do you play?

ilikelinux
02-12-2003, 04:42 PM
have you got the latest patches?

Susan B
02-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Have you got the latest game patches installed?

Susan B
02-12-2003, 04:51 PM
Ha, snap! :D

ilikelinux
02-12-2003, 04:51 PM
that's exactly what i ment.

X-(X-(X-(X-(X-(X-(X-(X-(X-(X-(X-(

chiefnz
02-12-2003, 04:52 PM
Make sure that you've DISABLED "Full Screen Anti Aliasing" for your graphics card.

Genereal eithers runs slow or won't run at all if it's enabled, I had the same problem with my FX5200 but once I installed the new nVidia 52.16 drivers everything was fine. Version 52.16 allows the application to auto select performance settings such as FSAA.

Have a go at that and see what happens.

cheers
chiefnz

Susan B
02-12-2003, 05:44 PM
> that's exactly what i ment.
>
>
>
>
> X-(X-(X-(X-(X-(X-(X-(X-(X-(X-(X-(

What's your problem??

I had a whole heap of threads open and took a while to get to this one. I had not refreshed by the time you had posted and thus didn't realise there was a similar reply already there.

No need to get uptight about it, sh*t happens. ;-)

Blue_face
03-12-2003, 01:14 AM
hi chiefnz.

How do you disable "Full Screen Anti Aliasing"? I dont seem to find it anywhere.

ilikelinux+susan B.
There is currently no patche for this games yet.

Blue_face
03-12-2003, 01:51 AM
Full Screen Anti Aliasing has been disabled in both direct3d and openGL. I also disabled Anisotropic Filtering as well. it still doesnt work :(

ilikelinux
03-12-2003, 06:31 AM
Have you tried updateing the drivers for the radeon 9600 pro?

Blue_face
03-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Yes...I have installed the latest ati patch like i mentioned before. Now the new problem is that everytime i move the mouse around at the main menu,it freezes. :(

athlonxp 2000+
m/b: Gigabyte (4x only)
256mb ram

yang11
03-12-2003, 10:08 AM
sort this out.

is your machine still under warranty?

you prolly increase the memory to 512MB to see if that helps.

what kind of mouse u got? try another one.

try another video card if possible. what's the brand of video card?

so if you don't have spare parts, you will have to take the machine to a computer shop/repairer to do those tests.
good luck

chiefnz
03-12-2003, 04:07 PM
Umm gee this is a tough one, I've had a read through the "readme" file for Generals and it looks like you should be running the game fine.

Just a thought, what kinda chipset do you have on you Mobo, recently the VIA chipset drivers have been creating some compatibility issues, I think with C & C : Generals but I"m not quite sure where I read it.

If you don't have a VIA chipset Mobo, update the drivers for your chipset, could possibly be the driver for your IDE controller not running very well.

It's quite possible you my need more RAM on you machine, also try increasing the size of your Virtual Memory (Page File Size), that might help.

cheers
chiefnz

Blue_face
04-12-2003, 02:41 AM
OK.... these are the strange things happening now.
so far...now I have upgraded my via dirver, (m/b is 7VTXE+ by the way). no difference.

upgrade to directx9b from 9. d/l from microsoft website. - no difference.

if i disable Anti Aliasing, it still crash, except that it doesnt crash straight away. But either way.... there is no luck launching the game at all.

once i get into the game.... it doesnt crash at all...untill i start moving my mouse around. I believe that its input device is causing the trouble, but according to dxdiag, there is no problem found. (microsoft mouse & keyboard). no mouse driver was installed because with drivers the pointer jumps. no problem when i use my old display card to play the game.

if i switch to 16 colour from 32, same effect as disabling Anti Aliasing. longer to crash.

I have 512mb ddr ram, not 256. I made a mistake earlier and didnt realise till now.. :( and definitely i can run the game.

i uninstall and reinstall the game few times. didnt solve a thing at all.

there is only a mouse and a keyboard attatch to the pc. excl mon (phillips lcd with latest driver),speaker.

the game was fine when using Gf4 420mx. till now. but i have uninstall all the gf4 drivers before i plug in my radeon.

all display driver is up to date. the only think i havent update yet that i can think of is the bios, which i dont want to due to bad experiences in da past. also, last updated was around 4mths ago.

tried changes all the agp speed. still crash.

i dont want to format my pc yet. and i dont think format will 100% solve my problem. (just my opinion). so, hopefully someone can still help me out. :)

Budda
04-12-2003, 08:28 AM
dont think its your vid card mate, Generals has the same sort of probs that halo does "random performance from different cards". Dont know if anyone actually put a fingure on what the prob was but some real good vid cards just seemed to crawl on generals for no apparent reason.