PDA

View Full Version : One problem, One query.

45South
01-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Howdy all, wondered if anyone could help me with these?
Problem: OS = W'98SE
Just cleaned a computer from spyware & 6 viruses with Nortons 2004, Adaware & Spybot (all updated to latest defs.)
All the junk is now gone & the machine is running sweet apart from an undeletable file.
"oodtmyf.dll" is still resident in the Windows System Folder & I am sure it is the cause of the machine trying to connect to the net on startup.
I have tried "incinerating" it with several programs, stopped all startups in msconfig (including this file) but no matter what I do this one starts up on it's own (reticked) Tried getting rid of it in safe mode, all to no avail.
Did a google on it & can find no reference to the filename whatsoever.
Any help to nuke this file would be much appreciated.

Query:
On my XP pro machine a "right click" > "New" on the desktop produces the standard "Folder" menu along with the option to create a new file in just about every program installed on my machine.
How do I get rid of the "extra entries" listed eg. Word, Access, Excel, PSP, Adobe etc. I will never create a new file this way & want them gone.

Thanks for any help
Cheers
45South

whiskeytangofoxtrot
01-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Try deleting it in safe mode.

nadius
01-12-2003, 08:03 PM
hi,
for the query, i use Tweak UI for XP (ver 2.10)

it's part of the powertoys set.

you can change the new menu list under templates.

fyi: to change the "send to" list simply go to the send to folder of your user (it's hidden) and delete the ones you don't use.

nadius
01-12-2003, 08:04 PM
he has. it says so.

tweak\'e
01-12-2003, 08:12 PM
if antivirus dosn't flag it as a virus then i would try the spyware FAQ. exspecialy clean out any temp folders/files, use hijackthis to see if there is something hooked into IE which may be reinstalling it.

Murray P
01-12-2003, 11:51 PM
a) Try looking for dtmf.dll in Google.
b) Do a search of the registry for both .dll's and your C: drive (or where ever you OS is installed) for dtmf.dll, assuming you've searched for the former .dll.
c) Check Add Remove programs for anything strange and your Downloaded Programs folder found in; C:\winnt or C:\Windows for activeX's with strange or unknown depenencies/properties.

But don't go deleting anything until you've checked it out.

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
01-12-2003, 11:54 PM
BTW, did you note down the names of the viruses and spyware. It could be a leftover from these. You should still be able to find them in the antivirus and ant-spyware logs.

Cheers Murray P