PDA

View Full Version : PC World December Giveaway

robo
01-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Good afternoon. You will shortly receive your copy of the December PC World if you are a subscriber, otherwise you'll have to buy a copy. In it, there is a whopping great big giveaway of piles of neat stuff.

In a (possibly) feeble effort to recognise the contribution of those of you that work very hard helping others, all PressF1 people that have posted 500 or more times as of 1 December (that's today so you're too late to fudge things) get an automatic entry into the draw. It's not much, but it is my way of saying thanks. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Those people (in order from largest to smallest) are:
godfather, Graham L, Susan B, tweak'e, Chilling_Silence, -=JM=-, Mike, stu140103, Chilling_Silently, Billy T, Baldy, Jen C, Clueless, csinclair83, Terry Porritt, PoWa, agent, beetle, Jim B, Thomas, cyberchuck, Heather P, Babe Ruth, kiwibeat, Chris Wilson, Lohsing, roofus, Greg S, Murray P, vk_dre, mikebartnz, Pheonix, bmason, somebody, metla, honeylaser, nz_liam, Poppa John, Graham Petrie, Kame, Elephant, E.ric, robsonde, parry, Sam H, Kiwitas, SoniKalien, Peter H, CYaBro, crozier, antmannz, mejobloggs, Elwin Way

You are all able to enter in the appropriate fashion as well, same as everyone else. You can send additional entries by posting me a $20 note with your name and address on. Don Brasch has already entered three times in my wallet.

There are nearly 40 different prizes, so the chances are way better than Lotto (mind you, the return isn't as great, but you can't have everything).

I just wish I was allowed to enter, it's not fair.
robo.

Jester
01-12-2003, 01:13 PM
woohooooo, giveaway time!

Now, to find a twenty dollar note with my name and address on it ....

j
:D

somebody
01-12-2003, 01:22 PM
Yippie... prizes prizes prizes.

Just for those of us who haven't gotten around to buying a copy of the PC World yet, can you tell us what these prices include?

stu140103
01-12-2003, 01:24 PM
What can I say.... :D

But woohooooo, giveaway time! Now I need go out & get my self a copy of PC world :) B-)

But now who here would like to take my place???? robo how about you???

I will make a post on why I am letting some one else take my place latter on today....

somebody
01-12-2003, 01:25 PM
should have been "prizes" not "prices". Must have been too excited:D

robo
01-12-2003, 01:33 PM
I am not at liberty to say until the magazine hits the streets.

I can say that I want all of them for Christmas, call 0900 4ROBO to make an automatic $500 donation to the fund to prevent geeks from being sad on Christmas Day.

robo.

somebody
01-12-2003, 01:42 PM
hmm... something tells me that the $500 "donation" might put a bit of a dent in my back pocket.

I'll wait :)

Miami Steve
01-12-2003, 01:43 PM
They're all listed here (http://pcworld.co.nz/PCWorld/PCW.nsf/UNID/CF7B52606C780E84CC256DEA000BC2AC?OpenDocument&More=Personal+Digital).

Cheers
Miami

stu140103
01-12-2003, 01:48 PM
> I will make a post on why I am letting some one else
> take my place latter on today....

Here is that thread:
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=42046

Now time to get some lunch :)

somebody
01-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Thanks Miami Steve. Wow - what a list of prizes (time to keep my fingers crossed).

Winston001
01-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Aww Jeeez Robo, fair suck of the sav. What about us ones who haven't got 500 posts? How about 200 posts? Cripes, thats downright discriminalisation that is.

(goes off in a huff)...............

robo
01-12-2003, 02:09 PM
Oh, well done. So I don't have to keep it quiet.
Go where Miami Steve said to check it all out.
I reckon it's a pretty good haul.
robo.

robo
01-12-2003, 02:10 PM
Sorry, Winston, had to draw the line somewhere.
There's always next year. And you can still enter like a regular person.
robo.

Miami Steve
01-12-2003, 02:11 PM
You do remember writing that article, don't you? :D

Cheers
Miami

csinclair83
01-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Thanks Robo and Pc World and sponsors for a great list of prizes...i'm impressed with the list...

Even if i dont win anything i just wanna say Merry Xmas everyone and thanks for a great year here @ Press F1 (no i not going anywhere) and good luck to all these who have entered, the regular and automatic way :-)

csinclair83
01-12-2003, 02:43 PM
when will the Dec copy be out..as i'm travelling on thursday as some of you might now regarding battery exending but i could spend my hours reading pc word line for line word for word page for page :-)

i know robo wont be able to tell us but anyone..is it out yet or nah? if its not out thursday i can read it on my return which is sunday..would it be out then?

Chilling_Silently
01-12-2003, 02:43 PM
> I just wish I was allowed to enter, it's not fair.
> robo.

'Tis a shame... You've passed the 500 minimum too ;-)

csinclair83
01-12-2003, 02:46 PM
how can robo handle sitting around the prizes till march?

robo
01-12-2003, 02:49 PM
It should be in store by Wednesday latest, subscribers should have it today or tomorrow.
robo.

robo
01-12-2003, 02:51 PM
You should see my lounge........
Some aren't so hard to resist. Others are absolute torture. My wife got to play with a couple of things, wasn't fair!
PS2 will include Jak & Daxter 2, plus a special secret prize of a PS2 carry bag.
robo.

Terry Porritt
01-12-2003, 02:54 PM
> I just wish I was allowed to enter, it's not fair.
> robo.

Perhaps SoniK-Way could be persuaded to let you have one of his chances, robo? :)

Chilling_Silently
01-12-2003, 02:56 PM
> PS2 will include... ...a special
> secret prize of a PS2 carry bag.
> robo.

Its not a secret now you've told us! Spoil the surprise why dont you... :p

-=JM=-
01-12-2003, 03:23 PM
Hey. I've only got one entry :-p

Jen C
01-12-2003, 04:56 PM
What a fabulous list of goodies put up as prizes :D

Just got my PC World magazine out of the letter box as well with an entry form in the back.

>>I can say that I want all of them for Christmas, call 0900 4ROBO to make an automatic $500 donation to the fund to prevent geeks from being sad on Christmas Day.

Sad day? Last Christmas Day on PF1 was quite fun for all the geeks not dragged away from their PC's for the whole day. Best you stick around the forum on the day then (if you can drag yourself away from playing with the some of the prizes up for grabs :p)

Thanks to all the sponsers/vendors who generously donated these items :)

Steve Askew
01-12-2003, 05:00 PM
I knew I should have posted more on PF1 :-(
Like when the Brakes on my hilux were playing up & when the kids were sick & Blah Blah Blah ]:)

hazza
01-12-2003, 05:28 PM
i only got one year to make 402 posts, i guess ill just have to post a topic saying hello every morning, ;\

hzz

gerrypics
01-12-2003, 06:08 PM
Good opportunity to say thanks to a very good team.
"Cheers"

Gerry

mejobloggs
01-12-2003, 06:09 PM
ahh, I see no point in these give aways. I have been entering them for years, and never got anything.

hehehe. Wanna fry me now?

Anyway, I have an extra chance now I think. I dont think i have understood it very well, do I also get a normal entry too, from being a subscriber to pcworld mag?

Hopefully I might win something.

Keep your hands off that 15" LCD, and those speakers ............
and the shuttle pc, the ps2, the dvd writer, the Two towers and the wireless mouse.

sam m
01-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Personally I hope Clueless aka Chris Wilson wins something major. Sounds like he needs a break.

Mike
01-12-2003, 07:28 PM
> Those people (in order from largest to smallest)
> are:
> godfather, Graham L, Susan B, tweak'e,
> Chilling_Silence, -=JM=-, Mike, stu140103,
> Chilling_Silently, Billy T, Baldy, Jen C, Clueless,
> csinclair83, Terry Porritt, PoWa, agent, beetle, Jim
> B, Thomas, cyberchuck, Heather P, Babe Ruth,
> kiwibeat, Chris Wilson, Lohsing, roofus, Greg S,
> Murray P, vk_dre, mikebartnz, Pheonix, bmason,
> somebody, metla, honeylaser, nz_liam, Poppa John,
> Graham Petrie, Kame, Elephant, E.ric, robsonde,
> parry, Sam H, Kiwitas, SoniKalien, Peter H, CYaBro,
> crozier, antmannz, mejobloggs, Elwin Way

Nice :) So I'm guessing Chilling_Silence and Chilling_Silently, and Clueless and Chris Wilson are getting extra entries ;) :p

not that I'm worried LOL :D

Mike.

agent
01-12-2003, 07:37 PM
I don't know if that's half as bad as entering someone who reportedly left PressF1 (crozier) ;)

robo
01-12-2003, 07:46 PM
If F1ers win and don't reply to emails as per their profile, I get to keep their prize.
Heh, heh.

I did warn everyone a while back......

Only problem is you have until Jan 31 to fix your addy.
robo.

agent
01-12-2003, 07:49 PM
And what say my email address in my profile always displays as a whole lot of x's (you know, like "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"), no matter how many times I change it.

I asked a few others if their email displayed like that, and they said it didn't... ;)

metla
01-12-2003, 08:01 PM
> It should be in store by Wednesday latest,
> subscribers should have it today or tomorrow.
> robo.

I flicked thru it in the supermarket this evening,Guess Wanganui must get there shipment first being such an importent metropolis

Greg S
01-12-2003, 08:27 PM
How NICE! Thanks Robo and PCWorld

Chilling_Silently
01-12-2003, 08:45 PM
> Nice :) So I'm guessing Chilling_Silence and
> Chilling_Silently, and Clueless and Chris Wilson are
> getting extra entries ;) :p

Which reminds me... I should log in as Chilling_Silence and change the username so it matches Chilling_Silently's....

> not that I'm worried LOL :D
>
> Mike.

Oh sure... ;-)
Perhaps I should have changed usernames at every 1K... or 1024 posts... that'd give me extra chances... ;-)

*Adds one to the post-count beside his name*

Chill.

Susan B
01-12-2003, 08:51 PM
Wow!! :O

That is one wicked Santa sack, gee thanks Robo! :-)

> Nice So I'm guessing Chilling_Silence and Chilling_Silently, and Clueless and Chris Wilson are getting extra entries

Along with SoniKalien / Elwin Way. ;-)

> I don't know if that's half as bad as entering someone who reportedly left PressF1 (crozier)

Don't be uncharitable. Crozier, SoniKalien/Elwin Way, E.ric and Honeylaser, who also left, were quite helpful during their time here.

Chilling_Silently
01-12-2003, 09:44 PM
> Wow!! :O
>
> That is one wicked Santa sack, gee thanks Robo! :-)

MMMmmmm..... Looks... "heavy"....

Here, Let me "enlighten" you Robo ;-)

mikebartnz
01-12-2003, 09:50 PM
> Don Brasch has already entered three times in my wallet.

Feeling broke at the moment are you Robo.

beetle
01-12-2003, 09:57 PM
?:|
does having a lemon in the house help my chances??? for every one is always sorry for beet??? :p and her constant tale of woe.....

but aside from that, we have a great team on PF1 and the Mods are really good to, all i can say is thanxs to the sponsers and the crew at IDG if it wasnt for there support PF1 wouldnt be here.

and man would we be lost,
thanxs Robo, really nice of you to do this.

and thanxs to all who in the past has helped me muchly appreciated.

oh and it says competition drawn in Feb not Dec 25th??? so how does it become a santa sack pressy???

beetle

mikebartnz
01-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Having just had a look what a wonderfull lot of prizes.
By the way Robo Don does not put his addy on a twenty dollar note.

robo
02-12-2003, 07:20 AM
I know, I know, you don't get it at Christmas. Thing is, the mag is on sale all January so someone who doesn't enter until January can't miss out.

Maybe prizes will arrive in time for Valentine's Day?

I just can't help but wonder what it would be like if I got one of everything. My power bill would rocket.
robo.

ilikelinux
02-12-2003, 07:51 AM
a "late" chrismas present it will be then ,

(ilikelinux goes searching for the pcworld that he got yesterday to enter the competition)

ilikelinux
02-12-2003, 08:17 AM
>My power bill would rocket.
And the all of auckland will suddenly go dim

ilikelinux
02-12-2003, 08:20 AM
>$20 note with your name and address on

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don't fall for it, it is a scam, if you want more entries go out and buy a another pcworld, that in turn is cheaper.

Chilling_Silently
02-12-2003, 10:00 AM
> >$20 note with your name and address on
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Don't fall for it, it is a scam, if you want more
> entries go out and buy a another pcworld, that in
> turn is cheaper.

Sounds like this needs to be reported to Bruce to be put in the "no-go" bin, along with that dude from India with his wrought iron railing business... ;-)

metla
02-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Personally im a little disapointed,I was after some wrought iron and i hear the indian stuff is of a good grade....

robo
02-12-2003, 10:10 AM
Damn! I should have said enter on a $7 bill.
robo.

mark c
02-12-2003, 10:39 AM
494th post!
:_|

Chris Randal
02-12-2003, 12:29 PM
Woolworths Manurewa had it last night

csinclair83
02-12-2003, 01:55 PM
Hey
I picked up my copy today..
and was reading the small print..

whos hayes knight?
was just wondering who he/she was

csinclair83
02-12-2003, 02:02 PM
also a small idea for the next time they do a competition like this...
can they put a ad on the back of the competition entry page? so we dont have to cut out the entry form and half the article from the page before it...if its a ad, sorry sponsors but its better than having half or quarter a article gone... (swap page 150 with 151 in this magazine for example)

other than that..fantastic book :) going to be great reading on my trip on thursday :-)

Winston001
02-12-2003, 02:46 PM
What - the Indian wrought iron??

poppy
02-12-2003, 09:18 PM
hey!! I'm a subscriber but haven't received my Dec issue yet. What gives?

csinclair83
02-12-2003, 09:58 PM
you should get it 2morrow at the latest...
its xmas and theres all the cards and stuff...
i posted a xmas card last monday and it only got to chch today...which was kinda stupid as i got something sent over from london in 3 days...last week too..

i wouldnt panic if you havent received it yet but if nothing by friday then yeah panic

godfather
02-12-2003, 11:40 PM
> whos hayes knight?
> was just wondering who he/she was

Marketing Consultants

http://www.hayesknightsa.com.au/

csinclair83
02-12-2003, 11:45 PM
so we getting someone from south australian company to supervise the draw?

godfather
02-12-2003, 11:54 PM
Not if they use the NZ branch.

http://www.hayesknight.co.nz/contact/index.htm

somebody
03-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Just a suggestion robo - you should make it 1 entry for every 500 posts. That way people like Godfather etc. get rewarded for their efforts, as they have made more of a contribution to PressF1 than many of us who have only made about 700-800.

outrider
05-12-2003, 05:52 PM
is that one geek eg robo are all geeks eg me and robo
p.s
ive always loved your work robo :-0
;-) :-)

aroc
06-12-2003, 04:13 AM
WTF!! We've got people like beetle and csinclair who are in the draw?? About 1000+ of their posts are devoted to their own problems and their daily misgivings such as their flipping fridges. They never help anyone or if they do very rarely. I demand a re-consideration and ahhh put the 2 extra chances in for GrahamL and godfather.

somebody
06-12-2003, 06:44 AM
aroc, it would be too difficult for IDG to manually go through and sort out which posts are "real" and which are off topic postings. That is why IDG has just used a set 'number' of posts to make life easier. Even off topic postings "contribute to the PressF1 Community", and some although non-computer related, have still needed assistance from more knowledgable PressF1 members. I have personally posted many Off-Topic threads, however many of them were electronics-related problems which Godfather and GrahamL kindly answered for me.

Winston001
07-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Have to agree with somebody. Beet and Chris have had questions that may sometimes be OT but nevertheless draw good information. In amongst the humour and apparant irrelevancies there are gems of knowledge.
A couple of examples: search for "quantum foam" and "adoption" and you'll learn.
The 500 posts is really a recognition of community membership. It would be churlish to try and winnow out deserving and undeserving.

Elephant
07-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Well this is a help forum along with Off Topic messages.

Some people need more help than others.

I'm guilty of a few off topic posts as well.

When I ( and others ) started posting here we didn't do so with the thought that sometime down the track we might be entered in a prize draw.

I don't think for a minute that Beetle and CSinclair made their posts with the intention of winning a prize.

Anyway.... Keep posting.... You just might be in the draw next time around. If there is a next time of course.