PDA

View Full Version : Win XP Blue Screen

Obelix
01-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Heya all,

Talk about a suck morning.

I booted my work PC (Win XP) this morning and wo and behold all I get is a blue screen.

I connect to a Novell network using the Novell login and it works fine. All I then get is a blank blue screen. Cannot right click to make any changes, but everything appears to work.

I use the Novell Application Launcher which has given me access to the web, and it seems that other people (maybe not here) have had a similar problem.

No start button, no desktop icons, just a blank screen.

Anyone have any decent ideas, that do not involve re-installing XP.

beama
01-12-2003, 10:26 AM
What version Novell
Are you using roaming profiles or are users setup Dynamticly by Novell and are xp users volitle ie setup on logon and deleted on logoff by Novell
Has the Network Admin made any changes to the network configuration

Obelix
01-12-2003, 10:47 AM
Novell 5.1

Roaming Profiles
Delete on Logoff
I am the Network Admin.

It was working fine on friday b4 I left to go home. As far as I know nothing has changed over the weekend.

beama
01-12-2003, 11:21 AM
couple things I would try
Reboot the machine Xp is great at self repair
Check users network home drive, see their romoaming profile is intact, sorry cant remember the directory name its stored under (we dont use roaming profiles).
check local machine documents and settings.....username, rename the users directory get them to relogon you can always take it back to the orginal name later if you wish (sometimes some settings get corrupted in there.

another thing i would reccomend is use imaging software a lot quicker and easier to restore a workstation than relaoding from sratch

Good Luck

Obelix
01-12-2003, 11:35 AM
Yay,

I still have it.

Concluded that somewhere along the way I had installed, or something had background installed onto my hard disk.

Have tracked it down to a "Trojan" called DDM_D.

I now have icons and am going to delete all entries referring to this program in the registry. Others may want to check for this file, as it seems to evade adaware and AVG software.

beama
01-12-2003, 11:48 AM
dont forget the great hiding places of all virus's "SYSTEM RESTORE" :D

ilikelinux
01-12-2003, 08:13 PM
ha! that's why you disable it to delete the "Nachi worm"

(nachi is a nastier version of f****n blaster.