PDA

View Full Version : RegEdit

GeoffW
30-11-2003, 05:46 PM
Hi

First I'd like to thank all that replyed to my Music query. After further playing around I have discovered that my laptops internal sound card and the external Sound Blaster Extigy were arguing with each other. After disabling the internal sound card its all systems go. So if anybody else has a similar setup and problem thats the answer.

Now I have another question my friends computer running windows 98 starts Regedit every time the computer is started. I have checked all the obvious places e.g. win.ini, system.ini, autoexec.bat, config.sys and startup directories. None of them is starting it. Is there any other place I can check.

Thanks

GeoffW

Susan B
30-11-2003, 06:27 PM
There are a number of things that cause this to happen but usually it is due to a corrupt program. In my case MSN Messenger once started this off and the only way I could stop it was restoring a known good copy of the registry from the backups. Have a look in the FAQ section (link top right of this page) for info on restoring backups.

Another solution is a reinstall of Windows.

Terry Porritt
30-11-2003, 07:08 PM
The only other place that comes to mind is Run in the registry.
Have a look at this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run

and see whats in there, but how regedit could get there would be mysterious.

mikebartnz
30-11-2003, 08:40 PM
The other thing is to get a program similar to "Startup.exe". Sorry don't know the url for it.