PDA

View Full Version : Tight VNC, Real VNC & Wingate

jcr1
30-11-2003, 01:41 PM
Could someone please tell me, what is the difference between Tight VNC and Real VNC? (Is one better than the other etc.). Also, would it be possible to set up Wingate so that I can use my Ultra Satellite connection on my laptop sitting in the lounge?
Not really 2 different queries as I already have Tight VNC set up, but I find that it's not really that satisfactory for ICS, and I was wondering if Real VNC or Wingate might do the job better.

nzStan
30-11-2003, 03:22 PM
> Could someone please tell me, what is the difference
> between Tight VNC and Real VNC? (Is one better than
> the other etc.).

I've used VnC, TightVnC and UltraVnC

VNC is good but is slow on WAN and dial up RAS

TightVNC is better than VNC becos I found it work very nicely over WAN and RAS. But it still wasn't in the same league as pcAnywhere.

UltraVNC changed that... it is just as responsive as pcAnywhere and we are installing it as a default remote support tool at our office.

nzStan
30-11-2003, 03:24 PM
FYI UltraVNC can be found at http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

It is backward compatible ie will access clients on VnC or tightVnC.

tbacon_nz
30-11-2003, 05:33 PM
I use wingate on an xp home desktop as server and a 98se laptop as client and use my ultra connection with no problems. Don't know nuffin about tight vnc or real vnc.

HTH

jcr1
30-11-2003, 08:37 PM
Thanks for your responses. I'll keep Ultra VNC in mind, but at present I've got a 30 day version of Wingate, so firstly I'll try to get to grips with that and just see where it goes from there.

tbacon_nz
30-11-2003, 09:14 PM
I haven't looked at other products lately, but my feeling since I bought it is that Wingate is probably more sophisticated than is really necessary for a home network. It certainly has lots of options which seem to me irrelevant for home users. I also find the help frustrating. It seems to assume that you know what you ought to be doing, and just tells you how to do it, raher than telling you why you should be doing it. There is also a potential conflict between Wingate and ZoneAlarm. If you have the firewall enabled on both products, it gives you all sorts of problems - but all you have to do is turn off the Wingate firewall.

I used to use a product called all aboard which was great - easy to use, reliable and cheap, but they seem to have disappeared from the face of the earth.

heni72847
01-12-2003, 08:09 AM
out of the three vncs, ultra vnc would be the most powerful with most functions
but if don't need anything special real vnc would do

somebody
01-12-2003, 08:43 AM
I've only ever used Real VNC, and I've found it very good. The program's file size is small, making it quick and easy to download, and it provides you with all the basic functions you'd need for remote-control.

If both computers are running Windows 98 or higher, you can set up "internet connection sharing"(part of Windows) and share an internet connection. You won't need 3rd party software such as Wingate.

jcr1
01-12-2003, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the comment, Somebody, trouble is I want to share an Ultra satellite connection and Windows ICS is just not capable of handling that.
I have set up Tight VNC, which works, I can sit in the lounge with my laptop and connect through my satellite connection which is a few metres away, but there is a delay which makes for some horrible graphics on the screen.

jcr1
01-12-2003, 09:13 AM
My thoughts too, tbacon, I've looked at Wingate briefly, tried to set up my big computer as server and laptop as client (both run XP Pro), but no joy. Your comments about the firewall should be something I should look at, I'm running Kerio on the laptop (client) and Nortons on the PC (server).

somebody
01-12-2003, 09:44 AM
Is it possible to set up some kind of Proxy server on the computer with the Ultra satelite connection?

tweak\'e
01-12-2003, 10:19 AM
wingate works OK however the cheapest and also most reliable way i've used is analogX proxy. unforunatly it dosn't support socks5 so ICQ dosn't work with it (not sure if thats been fix as it was a while agao since i've used it).

also proxy+ has a limited free version but is harder to set up and use.

nzStan
01-12-2003, 06:22 PM
> Thanks for the comment, Somebody, trouble is I want
> to share an Ultra satellite connection and Windows
> ICS is just not capable of handling that.
> I have set up Tight VNC, which works, I can sit in
> the lounge with my laptop and connect through my
> satellite connection which is a few metres away, but
> there is a delay which makes for some horrible
> graphics on the screen

Like I posted before and others have said, UltraVNC is the best of the VNC. Give it a try, it is not that hard to install.

Thomas
01-12-2003, 07:22 PM
Could I as you chaps if VNC is suitable to monitor a weather station remotely.The weather station is on win2000 and home compu is win 98E?

jcr1
01-12-2003, 10:37 PM
I have uninstalled Tight VNC and Wingate, so as to give Ultra VNC a fair go. Then I installed Ultra VNC and set it up - PC as server and laptop as client and it all worked; very similar to Tight VNC and very similar quality of connection, not really all that satisfactory when using it for internet connection sharing. I wonder if it can be tweaked so that there is a faster response over the network?
The lag time between what's happening on the machine running as server and what I want to look at on the client machine makes the internet page a mess.
But I thought I'd give Ultra VNC a go first, as its the free one then if I can't get it up to what I expect, then perhaps move to Wingate (which eventually I'll have to pay for - but thats fair enough).