PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good monitor?

Wilky
30-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Yet another hardware recommendation thread, this time about monitors. I want to get a flat CRT, as I like changing my resolution, and I want a good viewing angle. I found this one which is recommended for gamers, and I want to know. Is it any good? If not, what are some really good 19" monitors?

http://store.recoil.net.nz/product_info.php?products_id=300

thanks.

Wilky
30-11-2003, 11:06 AM
nobody?

tweak\'e
30-11-2003, 11:14 AM
not to sure with AOC but my favorites is veiwsonic, sony, and philips. sony tends to be a bit exspensive and i'm not sure if they are making much 19"crts anymore.

Kenshin
30-11-2003, 12:08 PM
Bought this monitor yesterday and it seems to be fine. Obviously, u can get more expensive monitors like the Philips 109P, Viewsonic P95f+, Sony CPD420 etc.... but to be honest unless u are really into details and u have serious money to blow I think the AOC would be good enough. The refresh rate is decent 85Hz at 1280 x 1024.

Btw, u can get it for a lot lower than 375 ... cheapest I think rit now is about 320 incl GST

Hope this helps : )

Wilky
01-12-2003, 12:54 PM
85hz............. DECENT?!! Jeez, I'd be happy to get something over 70hz on 800x600!

Wilky
01-12-2003, 12:56 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's with my current monitor, which is dying. It's a paing to use.

Man, these forums need an edit feature.

Megaman
02-12-2003, 03:54 PM
> Man, these forums need an edit feature.

try "spellcheck" ;)

Wilky
03-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Spellcheck = no good for afterthoughts.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
03-12-2003, 03:08 PM
> Man, these forums need an edit feature.

I concur... this forum engine is probably the most underfeatured and underpowered forum formats I have ever come across.

I can't understand why something so slow and cumbersome like JSP was selected with it's lack of features when lightweight and free alternatives like PhpBB are out there.

outrider
05-12-2003, 05:29 PM
the way i see it is great ;-)

tweak\'e
06-12-2003, 09:28 AM
> can't understand why something so slow and cumbersome like JSP was selected with it's lack of features when lightweight and free alternatives like PhpBB are out there.

its been discussed heaps before. basicly it has more do to with what IDG/pcworld have running behind the scenes. it has to interface with their existing setup. as it is this forum is highly modified. other optoins where looked at but they don't work with their other systems.

compared to the old forum its PERFECT ! ;-)

metla
06-12-2003, 10:09 AM
More likely its a commercial decsion,It would take time to either update the forum or transfer the content to a new forum,And time is money.

How is this forum heavily modified?,My guess is they have hacked into to make it display adds and thats about it,The board is by all accounts lacking in features.

I like a lot of people run a phpbb,Stock standard it has far more features then this one,apears to be stable as a rock,has many tools for transferring accounts and content from existing forums,Theres multiple hacks for it to display stuff like adds(not that i would do that on my forum)And it runs on a linux server(of course)so theres no reason it couldn't work in with there other systems(pure blatent guesswork there but i can't imagine for a second what they are running at there end that would make a better forum not work)Plus its free and it looks good.

So,The only reason i can see them not using something better is due to the cost.

This is not a knock to the forums by the way,There choice of software doesnt keep me awake at night......