PDA

View Full Version : CMOS BATTERY

Augustus
30-11-2003, 07:04 AM
I have a pentium 100 which fails the battery test on startup. The system still loads after I press F1. How do I replace the battery? Is it just a matter of removing the old one and replacing it or do I loose information when the old battery is removed and have to reload it?
cheers
Augy

ilikelinux
30-11-2003, 10:13 AM
you will lose all your bios settings,
as for replacing the battery, i have never done this before, (haven't had to)

hazza
30-11-2003, 10:52 AM
yeah its just a $5 battery your motherboard manual should show you how to do it, its just a matter of flicking out the old one and putting a new one where it went.

hzz

tweak\'e
30-11-2003, 10:57 AM
assuming its the watch type battery. some of those early boards came out with a few werid battery setups. some are not repairable.

Billy T
30-11-2003, 02:10 PM
If you are careful you can change the button type batteries without turning the computer off, thus not losing bios settings etc.

Provided you stay away from the main switch, there is no electrical shock hazard as the internals are all at low voltage DC, however you do risk damaging your mother board if you accidentally drop a battery while taking the old one out or putting the new one in. I use a magnetic pickup tool to hold the battery securely, but you can achieve a similar effect with blu-tack on the end of a pencil.

If you do it quickly enough (less then 15-20 seconds) you generally don't lose the bios settings either.

If in doubt, just write down all the bios settings and restore them if lost. You could also print them out if your computer/printer will do that as not all printers can take a feed direct to the printer port without Windows running, and I doubt that any USB printers can at all, though I am open to correction on the latter.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)