PDA

View Full Version : software to run a radio station

agent
29-11-2003, 11:48 AM
I'm interested in finding any software that is or can be used to run a radio station.

The reason being, I've got a copy of SmartSound which came on an APC coverdisc a few years ago, but the installation requires editting of files, due to the fact that it was intended for installation off several floppy disks. Furthermore, the program pretty much runs in a DOS window.

Does anyone know any programs, preferrably open source or freeware (SmartSound will run for a month before pausing, requiring someone to hit a key on the computer it's running on), that are newer, etc?

mark c
29-11-2003, 12:10 PM
Well you're much more clued up than I am agent but a quickie google got this http://www.capterra.com/audio-software

Terry Porritt
29-11-2003, 12:14 PM
You may also be interested in www.live365.com, which hosts stations, not free but not that expensive either.

Graham L
29-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Of course, you are aware that if you play records on your "radio station", you will have to register and pay the copyright fees. The Australasian Performing Rights Association will be waiting for your call. :D

agent
29-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Heh... only if i actually broadcast over airwaves, right?

My understanding was that you could operate radio station software and just have it going through to your stereo without paying any royalties, considering it'd be operating off your private music collection. Right? ?:|

Big John
29-11-2003, 02:49 PM
> Heh... only if i actually broadcast over airwaves,
> right?
>
> My understanding was that you could operate radio
> station software and just have it going through to
> your stereo without paying any royalties, considering
> it'd be operating off your private music collection.
> Right? ?:|

Then why bother with the radio station? Just hook your PC to your amp.

If you play music on any type of radio system for others to listen to then you must pay the royalties.

agent
29-11-2003, 03:15 PM
Simple; the radio station software has, in general, more advanced features than programs such as Winamp.

Budda
01-12-2003, 08:22 AM
not sure what you want to do, but some people run radio stations as webpages thru win amp, really just a steaming server??

Budda

somebody
01-12-2003, 08:46 AM
I had a program called MCDJ which came on the August 2003 CD from Netguide. It's got a good interface, and seems to work quite well, however I never ended up using it properly.