PDA

View Full Version : Xtras Spam Filter

J ZEP
29-11-2003, 11:25 AM
Hi All, I haven't been around as much lately so apologies if theres already been a post on this, couldn't find one though.
I was just curious to hear about how other people are finding the new xtra spam filter? Mainly, in paticular if anybody has noticed a sudden "influx" in spam since the filtering started?? As from the day the spam filter came into effect i have started getting spam to an address that has been relatively spam free for the past few years. Just thought it seemed a very strange coincidence... Has anybody else noticed this influx with their personal e-mail addys they have managed to keep relatively spam free?? To xtras credit the filter is picking them up ;-)
And before anybody suggests it, it is new spam, its not just tagging legit stuff as spam.
I know its inevitable that we will eventually get spam no matter how careful one is, however i am interested to see if anybody else has noticed the same coincidence...

MrBeef
29-11-2003, 11:48 AM
the occasional spam gets through

beetle
29-11-2003, 11:50 AM
hi ya JZ, well to be honest i have not kicked it into action as such, i am still using mailwasher and Poppa John had a post on this same thing and had enormous trouble getting it set up and so put me off even looking at the thing....

but yes i have noticed more stupid emails than normal getting through the system..... mailwasher picks them up but most (not all ) have been tagged by Xtra already to say (SPAM) but am wondering if its not a little busyier than normal.

i was getting maybe one a day? i have 3 websites advertising my email addy so thats to be expected, but it is risen to 4- 10 a day at moment...
so i dont know if im better off or not???

any help?
beetle

tedheath
29-11-2003, 01:26 PM
This xtra spam filter is in the same league as sliced bread, instant coffee, and Ford motor cars, ie excellent.
I have been finding maybe one spam every two days getting through, but zillions getting caught and going to the deleted items mailbox.
Good on you xtra you are beating the spaming scum.
You have my vote as isp of the century

tedheath

Baldy
29-11-2003, 09:30 PM
> This xtra spam filter is in the same league as sliced
> bread, instant coffee, and Ford motor cars, ie
> excellent.
> I have been finding maybe one spam every two days
> getting through, but zillions getting caught and
> going to the deleted items mailbox.
> Good on you xtra you are beating the spaming scum.
> You have my vote as isp of the century
>
> tedheath

I totally agree Ted. It seems to be working very very well
To be honest, the spam filter is something a five year old kid could set up, so I don't understand why Poppa is having problems. It is totally uncomplicated in the extreme. About as simple as you could possibly get

agent
30-11-2003, 12:29 AM
Perhaps tedheath is the result of exactly what J ZEP was talking about.

It would require a far greater study, but if what beetle and J ZEP have said is true, it would appear that upon introducing the spam filter, some people have had an increase of spam - not email messages being marked as spam, but an actual increase in the amount of spam they receive.

As blind as some users may be, this tends to point that, in order to make customers happy with Xtra for picking up all this spam, they employed some dodgy tactics, along the lines of giving email addresses of customers to spammers so that said customers would notice an increase of the number of spam messages, but would also notice that Xtra was marking all of these as spam.

You get my drift. It would be a corporate reality to do such things, and I wouldn't put it past anyone if it meant they would receive good feedback and such.

Baldy
30-11-2003, 01:09 AM
> Perhaps tedheath is the result of exactly what J ZEP
> was talking about.
>
> It would require a far greater study, but if what
> beetle and J ZEP have said is true, it would appear
> that upon introducing the spam filter, some people
> have had an increase of spam - not email messages
> being marked as spam, but an actual increase in the
> amount of spam they receive.
>
> As blind as some users may be, this tends to point
> that, in order to make customers happy with Xtra for
> picking up all this spam, they employed some dodgy
> tactics, along the lines of giving email addresses of
> customers to spammers so that said customers would
> notice an increase of the number of spam messages,
> but would also notice that Xtra was marking all of
> these as spam.
>
> You get my drift. It would be a corporate reality to
> do such things, and I wouldn't put it past anyone if
> it meant they would receive good feedback and such.

PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,PARANOIA, PARANOIA,

sam m
30-11-2003, 06:20 AM
Friend used to get 100 - 200 a day.
She now gets none.

I used to get 5 - 6 spam a day handled by mailwasher.
I now get 0 a day
mailwasher has gone.

it works

sam m
30-11-2003, 06:26 AM
> As blind as some users may be, this tends to point
> that, in order to make customers happy with Xtra for
> picking up all this spam

Agent I think you know what makes you go blind ;)

> You get my drift. It would be a corporate reality to
> do such things, and I wouldn't put it past anyone if
> it meant they would receive good feedback and such.

ditto baldy

tedheath
30-11-2003, 09:30 AM
I have left the xtra spam settings at their default level.
All I have done is make a message rule to delete any message with the word spam in the subject Since xtra rename the subject with spam its pretty cool.
Although I have had some false positives with this topic because it has the word spam in the subject.
As far as agents" they are out to get you scenario" he may need medical help.

FrankS
30-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Curious to know what happens if you get a spoof marked by Xtra as SPAM and you or Xtra are set up to delete. (Tongue in cheek) are you blacklisting yourself?. If you bounce it will be returned to yourself.

agent
30-11-2003, 12:04 PM
*Cough* "out to get you"?

When did I ever say they were out to get you?

All I did was pose a possible reason as to why beetle and J ZEP have started receiving more spam.

I am most certainly not impressed with the attitudes of certain people. If this is how you treat people who put forward ideas (note: ideas - did I say it was the truth?) that you cannot agree with, well, I'll just say: tall poppy syndrome.

Big John
30-11-2003, 12:18 PM
Well I am not with Xtra but Paradise and they also have a Spam filter in place. Before this went into place I used to get 1-6 spam per day but now I get 15-50 per day.

Now you may say this is no problem because the spam filter at Paradise picks it up. Yes it does and moves it to a Spam mailbox but unfortunatley this spam get counted against the mailbox limits and only gets deleted after 30 days. The only way to clear it is to go and manually clear it out on the Paradise web site which is a royal pain in the butt.

What I have done now is turned off the spam filter and I get all the spam at home which Mailwasher gets and removes. But of course instead of the 1-6 I used to get before the spam filter went in I get the 15-50.

Even my Hotmail address does not generate this much spam.

And you people wonder why we are paranoid.

bmason
30-11-2003, 01:26 PM
I noticed an increase when paradise started filtering too (both xtra and paradise use the same filter).

My guess is the spammers know about the filter and are trying harder to get messages through.

brewer
30-11-2003, 05:32 PM
I`m with actrix and recently I noticed a big increase in spam, although I use only mailwasher & I`m deleting approx. 50 a day while before I was getting a maximum of 2 or 3. Some scumsucker is using my address as a return too, and I believe hotmail has me tagged as a spammer.

Gordon.
30-11-2003, 07:07 PM
I was getting between 1 to 5 spams a day until about a month ago when it suddenly increased to several hundred per day. The spam would arrive in batches from 30-70 in a matter of minutes. A study of the spam though showed that out of all the spam messages, they would all be the same message body though the "sender" and subject would vary. Talking to a ISP tech here about it about a week ago, he suggested that some of the spammers were flooding via the relays and proxy's.

In addition to using Mailwasher to screen the spam, I also use SpamCop. In the latest version of MailwasherPro, there is a option to include reporting to spamcop direct from Mailwasher.

Over the last week or so, I have seen a reduction in spam from the several hundred per day to about 30 average. Of those 30 -/+ you can narrow them down to about 6 messages which are simply repeating themselves three or four times a day.

J ZEP
03-12-2003, 04:18 PM
Cheers for the feedback everybody :-).

>>2Agent - I must also be suffering from paranoia - as i must admit your "idea" had been exactly what had crossed my mind ;-).

And after everything i have read and learnt from here as well, it could be feasable;-). Thats why i thought a bit of feedback would help to gauge weather it was just me who had noticed this occurence.

So it seems apart from perhaps Beet and I nobody else has noticed it, then again you would really only notice it on an account you had been/tried to be very careful/private with.... which wasn't prone to spam to start with.
As i said earlier, the new spam is being caught by the xtra filter, so i do appreciate that the filter is a good thing but....

Cheers all for the feedback :-)

antmannz
03-12-2003, 05:33 PM
There may have been some previous in-house filtering taking place via the virus-scanning.

Poppa John
03-12-2003, 08:34 PM
Baldy.. The trouble is that I am not 5yrs old.. The setting up problem only applies to our XP computer, it will not set up on the XP computer. Two sessions with the Xtra help desk couldn't make it work either. Works OK on the W98 computer tho, so all is well. PJ