PDA

View Full Version : XP pro....problem with opening screen

Amadeus
29-11-2003, 11:23 AM
I have a new computer and had xp pro installed...worked fine.
Then installed tweek....and zone alarm....and a couple of others.
Works fine but come to restart the machine.
I have since unistalled tweek.

I get my settings...and user page.
press my settings...installs
and all I get is this dam open scenery page of hills.
I cannot open anything.
ONLY if I open task...then I can get in through my computer.

However...I cannot get to control panel to make any adjustments.

I tried a reinstal but it wont let me ..keeps telling me to reboot and will install a required file by itself...but it doesnt.

HELP....at the end of my tether.

Suggestions welcome...even if I have to try and reinstall....but then how should I approach that as it wont let me do that now anyway.

Looking forward to your replies.

David

only

Greg S
29-11-2003, 11:47 AM
> Suggestions welcome...even if I have to try and
> reinstall....but then how should I approach that as
> it wont let me do that now anyway.

If you insert your XP cd and reboot you should get a screen with options to reinstall etc.

If the cd doesn't fire up you'll need to go into the bios to make the cd drive the 1st drive to check when booting. To get into the bios it's usual to just hold the delete key while after pressing the reset button. However some bios's start differently - you'll need to supply motherboard info.

Odin
29-11-2003, 12:50 PM
Xp has a repair feature that may help you get back up and running without have to reinstall. The other thing you can do is load up a Restore Point that worked before you did the install of those programes and see if that helps.

Amadeus
29-11-2003, 06:15 PM
problem I cannot get into restore.
Now trying to do a reformat hardrive...suggestions.
Cannot get into do the reformat.

It keeps on wanting to reinstal but always asks for viaagp1.sys file ...not on the xp disk.

Cannot find it on the internet for xp either.

David

Odin
03-12-2003, 01:59 PM
That viaagp could be part of the VIA 4in1 (Now Hyperion) motherboard drivers for the VIA chipset motherboards. Got to http://www.viatech.com and download the latest Hyperion drivers and install them, see if that solves it.