PDA

View Full Version : how do i block msgtag?

yingxuan
29-11-2003, 05:15 AM
I have a firewall zone alarm pro.How do i stop msgtag from sending a notification to the sender when i open my emails?Running windows 98se.
Zone alarm pro version 4

mikebartnz
29-11-2003, 07:09 AM
Block the IP address.

Pheonix
29-11-2003, 10:21 AM
Open Outlook Express and go tools-options-receipts and tick the "never send a receipt"
This what you were after?

Susan B
29-11-2003, 01:49 PM
MSGTAG sends notications back to the sender regardless of the email client used because it works with MSGTAG's server. Like another poster said you could try and find out MSGTAG's IP address and block that with your firewall or alternatively tell the sender that you do not want them using MSGTAG when they send you emails. They do have the choice of disabling it prior to sending your email.

Scouse
29-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Ho there.
One of the problems you may face is that the version of MSGTAG that I use does not advise the recipient that the incoming/read message has been tagged. I still get the get the notification if, as Susan says, I have it activated. I tend to use it only for business dealings.

bmason
29-11-2003, 02:37 PM
From what I can tell (I would be very interested if it works differently) it is the same as used spammers, they embed a bit of HTML in the mail that causes the client to request something from their servers.

The easiest way would be so disable HTML mail, or atleast stop your email program from looking up external references. Otherwise as suggested, have a look at the message source and find the URL to the MSGTAG server and block it.

Although I suspect they will use multiple servers.

yingxuan
29-11-2003, 03:37 PM
how do i find out the msg tag ip address?My zone alarm was on and when i opened outlook exprss zone alarm didn't alert me or anything

Scouse
29-11-2003, 05:44 PM
Any use to you.....In detail of a recent notification....
Message-ID: <xxxxxxxxxxx..xxxxxxxx..qmail@gaku.ecosm.com
(ID detail deleted by me). If I can be any further help, sing out.

yingxuan
30-11-2003, 05:54 AM
I found the ip address.Now because the ip number is so long and not like !!!.!!!.!!! how do i get zone alarm to block it?

yingxuan
30-11-2003, 06:06 AM
IF i was the sender than what i could view my msgtag ip which is what u said.But if i was the person who read the mstag email Then it said under details the message id was "lotsofnumbers@thepersonsname"
Still can't get it to block!

yingxuan
30-11-2003, 03:38 PM
anyone can help me?

bmason
30-11-2003, 04:52 PM
I would need really need to see the source of a MSGTAG email to know what to block. You can send one to my hotmail account: just_another_sheep@hotmail.com if you would like me to have a look.

What email client are you using? Most of them allow controls on HTML mail, which is a much simpler solution (esp. if MSGTAG use multiple hosts).

yingxuan
01-12-2003, 06:17 AM
Im using outlook express
I've just sent an email using msgtag to u

bmason
01-12-2003, 12:38 PM
OK having had a loot at one of the messages...

They do use a simple spammer style remote image. It can be blocked either by:

- Blocking "img.msgtag.com", using either your firewall, or simply using your hosts file (search for instructions on how to do this). This will only work as long as they keep using the same host.

- Set your mail client not to load external links, if it won't let you, get a better e-mail programme because what works for MSGTAG also works for spammers.
It can be done with mozilla/netscape mail (not 4.x), and IIRC eudora. I don't know if its
possible with outlook express. thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird) is an excellent OE replacement.

yingxuan
02-12-2003, 03:52 AM
Yep I have thunderbird already.I have opera too.
Thanks for the help.It worked by blocking img.msgtag.com