PDA

View Full Version : What is Wi-Fi ??

Kenshin
29-11-2003, 02:46 AM
I am looking to buy a couple of wireless LAN card to network my 2 computers at home. Do not have a router yet, but will plan to get the Dyanlink RTA300W in the future. Been doing a lil bit of research and came across cards which are Wi-fi standard and ones which are not. Is it true that to ensure the cards will work with the router I should get cards which are compliant with the wi-fi standard??

Cheers!

mikebartnz
29-11-2003, 07:13 AM
Yes. But unless WI-Fi shows any great benefit go with wired.

wuppo
30-11-2003, 11:30 AM
I second Mike's recomendation. Wireless is good for situations where it is difficult to get cables through, but the results vary considerably. e.g. Where my laptop currently is, my wireless connection shows an average of 36Mbps conection (using .11g), but my speed test on Jetstream is only around 2.8Mbps. With a wired connection, I get up to 6.8Mbps on Jetstream. If you like to routinely transfer large files around, you will find an 11Mbps or 54Mbps connection doesn't mean you will get anywhere near that speed. :| For general browsing etc, you won't really notice the difference, as the limiting factor is often the server.
Most modern wireless devices sport the Wifi compatibility logo, so its probably worth looking for it when you shop.