PDA

View Full Version : 46 freeware Applications

Elephant
28-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Try this link.

This is one persons' selection of freeware applications. What they do and links to download sites.

I agree enough with all the selections that I won't quibble. :-)

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_free_utilities.htm

I hope this helps.

ilikelinux
28-11-2003, 07:18 PM
well, it doesn't include the best free os does it?

linux (any distro)

Elephant
28-11-2003, 07:39 PM
Read the words.

Free APPLICATIONS not free OPERATING SYSTEMS!

Applications run UNDER operating systems.

I guess the link I supplied will not help you much but I just tend to stay mostly with the other 90% of people in the world that use an operating system I can be productive with.

If I was back into programming in a commercial manner then I'd still program for Windows or MSDos. I still ( in fact ) write the odd program for MSDos using COBOL.

I just found the link I posted today so felt I would like to share it with other PressF1 Users and that's why I posted.

I so hope that this will not turn into another O/S war. :-(

beetle
28-11-2003, 07:51 PM
Thanxs Elephant i appreciate the link / post / thread.....lots of good info to overflow the beetle and get totally mind boggled....:p

lots there i have not heard of to...

nothing about Cow links though..... or wood chippers...????:p
keep searching E :D

beetle

Jen C
28-11-2003, 08:07 PM
The Bookmark Bridge (http://bookmarkbridge.sourceforge.net/) listed on that site looks very handy. I run a variety of browsers and my bookmarks are all over the place! Might have to give that one a try :)

Thanks for the link Elephant.

mark.p
Cheers dude. It's a good way to keep so called "legacy" OS's going.

I believe someone from NZ even send William Gates and open letter to release the source code of Win9x ;). No reply yet. Guess the letter was lost. Either that or Bill has something to hide................

Elephant
BTW.

I forgot to add that if you are happy with any Linux distribution then that is fine by me. This doesn't make you wrong.

After all....... Heaps of people once thought that the world we live on was flat and people could fall off the edge. Personally I think it is round.

This is (of course only MY opinion) and you are entitled to YOUR opinion.

It appears to me that you want everyone to convert to the operating system you use.

WHY? Just because you and others think it's better do you make it a cause to convert those of us who aren't enlightened?

It almost reminds me of Religion. In that case I am definitely in the minority as I believe in Christian values. I would be highly outnumbered by Muslims.

I respect the beliefs of others. I don't make it my lifes work to go door knocking and ask if the occupants have heard about God yet.

Never yet have I made a post in any forum saying "Linux stinks." If people want to use it then that's fine by me.

I have checked out Linux for myself but I have just "played" with it. I have got serious enough to buy removable drives to install Redhat and Mandrake.

The point I am making is that I have to live in the real world and help my customers so therefore I keep up to date as far as I can with the Microsoft product.

Elephant
28-11-2003, 08:14 PM
But I know where the cows are!! I know where the woodchipper is too.

You know very well it was a funny???? I don't have a woodchipper.

I don't ( in fact ) own a Bikini either. :-)

mark.p
28-11-2003, 08:19 PM
My goly gosh like like you've turned this into an OS thread :)

Susan B
28-11-2003, 08:24 PM
Nice one Elephant, have bookmarked that site for when I've got a bit more time. :-)

> I so hope that this will not turn into another O/S war.

Fire up your wood chipper. ]:)

Winston001
28-11-2003, 08:44 PM
> Never yet have I made a post in any forum saying
> "Linux stinks." >

OOh ooh, please Mr Moderator sir, Elephant's telling fibs. He is. He's just made a post saying "Linux stinks"
He said he wouldn't do that.
Ooooooohhhhh...............:O

mark.p
28-11-2003, 08:59 PM
What's Linux? And who mentioned it first?

Elephant
28-11-2003, 10:11 PM
OOh ooh, please Mr Moderator sir, Elephant's telling fibs. He is. He's just made a post saying "Linux stinks"
He said he wouldn't do that.
Ooooooohhhhh...............

What I said was that I have never said that Linux stinks so far.
This doesn't mean that I won't say that at some stage.

I certainly never said Linux stinks as my opinion.

Try comprehension. I try to give my opinion and you have the right to reject it.

Never have I made a post that says Linux stinks. Have you tried the Linux O/S recently. Oh and have you got all your Hardware working?

If it works then fine.

I hope that you just have the warped sense of humour I have.

: - )

beetle
28-11-2003, 11:18 PM
hey Elephant just letting you know i used one of these progs....
i downloaded it and installed it and now have Yahoopopper working in my Outlook Express email prog working a treat, so i can check all my emails at once...

much better trick.

thanxs for the site, i would never have adventured and found it otherwise.....

muchly appreciated.

beetle

Elephant
28-11-2003, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback Beetle.

All Applications may not work for all people.

So long as people look and make up their own minds then that's fine. :-)

Murray P
28-11-2003, 11:43 PM
Ta E. Got one goodie. Will check it out more thoraghly for the possibles.

Cheers Murray P

mikebartnz
29-11-2003, 07:22 AM
>operating system I can be productive with.

You just made it one.

Terry Porritt
29-11-2003, 07:41 AM
A good site, bookmarked it, thanks Jumbo.

Dolby Digital
29-11-2003, 10:00 AM
>>I still ( in fact ) write the odd program for MSDos using COBOL.
I cut my programming teeth on COBOL. Have you seen you can get Object Oriented Cobol B-)

FrankS
29-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Susan, looked at above list, for your Computer Maintenance FAQ is it worth adding AM Deadlink 1.42 for cleaning out dead BookMarks etc from your Internet Bookmark folder.

Thomas
29-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Why do you think Linux stinks Elee';)

Susan B
29-11-2003, 01:42 PM
> Susan, looked at above list, for your Computer Maintenance FAQ is it worth adding AM Deadlink 1.42 for cleaning out dead BookMarks etc from your Internet Bookmark folder.

Thanks for that Frank. I have used AM Deadlink and it is a great little program. It works with Opera's bookmarks as well if I remember correctly but not with Firebird's unfortunately.

I'm not sure that it belongs in the Computer Maintenance FAQ since it doesn't actually help make a computer run faster, which was the intention of that FAQ. It would however be an excellent one to add to another FAQ that I need to complete on Useful Programs so I have added it to that. :-)

Winston001
29-11-2003, 02:42 PM
> Why do you think Linux stinks Elee';)

No no Tom. That is a canard and all my fault. :_|

There never was a pachydermous slagging of Linux.

It was my woeful attempt at schoolboy humour.

I give up. I'm going down to the bottom of the garden with f-canal and effn-ll to eat worms (snivell)

beetle
29-11-2003, 02:56 PM
W001 > just as long as you dont eat Beetles....

they could be my long lost cousins......

tis alright we understand nobody's gonna get ya for the slight slip of the letter...... :D

and i still waiting for a Tardis to go by......
?:|

beetle

tedheath
29-11-2003, 02:58 PM
pachydermous @#$ is that? I was a bad boy in school. Only interested in chasing chicks ,I should of paid attention to the teacher and I would now what it means
BTW Linux reminds me of beta vcrs and AM only radios.

tedheath

JJJJJ
29-11-2003, 03:03 PM
I've had a guts full of these idiots who keep raving on about the ALMIGHTY,WONDERFUL, GREAT, ETC. Linux. It's an inferior, hard to use, incomplete product at best. If you use it you have to make sure you buy a new printer, scanner, modem, mouse, that will even recognise Linux as an operating system.
It's very hard to learn and is beyond the knowledge of newbie computer users.

tedheath
29-11-2003, 03:27 PM
I have downloaded three of these programs thanks elephant.
The dead links program is a worry it says every program i have is error 404 and is a deadlink.
Even f1 is a dead link lol.

tedheath

Thomas
29-11-2003, 04:01 PM
>No no Tom. That is a canard and all my fault.

yes yes Winand I carried the canard on,to try to keep up lad.;)

Elephant
29-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Nope. Have not seen Object Oriented Cobol.

Got a link?

I'm happy to try almost anything once. :-)

Elephant
29-11-2003, 04:18 PM
> Nice one Elephant, have bookmarked that site for when
> I've got a bit more time. :-)
>
>
> > I so hope that this will not turn into another O/S
> war.
>
> Fire up your wood chipper. ]:)

Is that so I can put my linux CDs through it. Waste of petrol in my opinion. I can drill little holes in the CDs and hang them in the trees to scare off the cows that keep looking for their Sisters.

Well they have to be useful for something. I don't mind having the odd play with Linux but can't get my Broadband Wireless hardware to work with it yet. Quite happy to keep the disks and wait. :-)

Elephant
29-11-2003, 04:35 PM
If people want to use Linux then this is fine by me.

I just can't find a driver for my Buffalo wireless receiver yet.

My computer running Linux is like a box in which I can do anything but connect to the Internet.

Now I can, of course, put my external modem back and re sign with Xtra.
The Modem works happily under Linux but why go back to a 56K connection and have two ISP providers?

Just my opinion of course. I do have a removable hard disk with Linux on it. I usually use this at computer club meetings which are held where there is no phone line anyway. I can't connect to the Internet there unless I climb up on my roof... remove my wireless aerial and install it elsewhere. If you think I'm going to do that once a month then you are wrong!!!!

Besides.... If I get on my roof then I can see all the disconsolate cows. :-)

Elephant
29-11-2003, 04:58 PM
You don't have to do that. You are forgiven. Maybe you just misread my post.

You are better off eating cows ( or parts thereof ) rather than worms!!

Just to help you I found this today:-

MORE ADVICE FOR THE FESTIVE SEASON.

Question.
Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

Answer.
You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a COW eat? Hay, Corn, Grass and Maize. And what are these? Vegetables. So a Steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat Chicken and Turkey etc. A Pork chop can give you 100% of you recommended allowance of vegetable slop.

Question.
Is chocolate bad for me?

Answer.
Are you crazy????? Heeellllooooo!
Cocoa beans. Another vegetable is it not.

I hope this makes you all feel less guilty over Christmas. :-)

beetle
29-11-2003, 05:08 PM
Elephant ? what are you doing?
lotsa postings.....

?:|

are you lost cos you have no wood chipper??? nothing to do? go chase a cow or something then..... :p

and just as well i like meat and chocolate then isnt it???
:D

beetle