PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express - Folders use

Scouse
28-11-2003, 12:06 PM
Ho People
Friend using OE 6. His Inbox folder was a shambles. He was deleting old trash from his Deleted Items folder manually. Anyway, sent him details of creating folders, dragging messages from Inbox to appropriate folders and then setting Tools >> Options >> Maintenance to delete the contents of Deleted Items folder when closing OE.
However, after following the grand plan he tells me that he has the following problem:
As per your email instructions I created some folders in Outlook in which
to store received emails which we wanted to keep. All went well, I moved over several emails into these folders and when I had done this and tested the operations, I then in options ticked the "empty the deleted items folder upon exit". I closed Outlook down and since then have experienced the following problems.
1 When I try to access the new folders I get = Unable to display the
folder.
2 When I try to move emails into these folders In get = Cant move the
item.
I have tried to recreate this situation without success. Anyone else had similar problems or can offer advice? Thanks.

Scouse
28-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Ho Ho - Bump

Susan B
28-11-2003, 07:58 PM
Can your friend find any .dbx files on his computer? If so I would suggest that he make a copy of these files and put them into a holding folder for safety.

After that I would do a repair of OE - go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Internet Explorer, Repair. Not sure of the exact procedure here but it is something like that and OE should be listed somewhere in there.

Get him to try that first, see how he goes and let us know the results. Remember to backup those .dbx files first.

Scouse
29-11-2003, 08:34 AM
Thanks Susan. Fingers crossed that I can get that across in an email to user with limited experience.

Scouse
01-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Ho again.
After telling me that he used OE, and being instructed to go to Help >> About for the version, he now tells me that : we are using Microsoft Outlook 2000 (not Outlook Express)..
I am not familiar with this. Anyone help?

Babe Ruth
03-12-2003, 04:30 PM
Scouse I don't know how far you got with this problem. SusanB emailed me to have a look at it...

Firstly I would try the Detect and Repair utility, and then secondly I would install/configure the Office 2000 Service Packs (1a, 2 and 3) (if not already applied).

a) Before starting, record the location of the Personal Folders file (.pst) right-click on Outlook Today | Properties | Advanced and the pst location is shown under path.
record any e-mail account information, such as server names and passwords as you may have to reset the account(s) after running Detect and Repair.

To run Detect and Repair: (note you will need your original Office2000 cd's)

1. In Outlook, click Help | Detect and Repair.
2. Select the "Restore my Shortcuts" check box.
4. Click Start, and then click Yes to restart the computer after Detect and Repair has run (if required).
5. Start Outlook, and then click the {name of your} folder.

b) Obtain and Install the Office 2000 service packs (1a, 2 & 3)

1a: O2K_SP1a (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=af6c8d03-7633-45b4-ab96-795ee656f2a2&DisplayLang=en)

2: O2K_SP2 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=96df48a9-7638-429e-816e-35f16f6528ca&DisplayLang=en)

3: O2K_SP3 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5c011c70-47d0-4306-9fa4-8e92d36332fe&DisplayLang=en)

Be aware these are large downloads...

Cheers, Babe.

antmannz
03-12-2003, 05:36 PM
I would take a copy of those .pst files first (with Outlook closed).

kirrie kiwi
03-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Try using System Restore.

Susan B
03-12-2003, 09:04 PM
Thanks Babe, you're such a sweetie. :x :-)

> Try using System Restore.

I'm not sure that would be of any help, especially if emails have gone AWOL because system restore does not touch data.

Let us know how things go with your friend Scouse. :-)

Jim B
03-12-2003, 10:41 PM
You can repair Outlook this way.

1. Click Start on the taskbar, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add Remove Programs.
3. Click Microsoft Office 2000, and then click Add/Remove.
4. Click Repair Office.
5. Click Repair errors in my Office installation, and then click Finish.

There is also an Inbox repair tool available but the procedure may be beyond someone not competent with computers

The Inbox Repair Tool is installed by default with a typical installation of Outlook, but there is no shortcut created for it. The SCANPST.EXE file can be found in the one of the following locations (by default), depending on the version of Outlook installed on the client machine:

* Outlook XP: \Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
* Outlook 2000: \Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT\
* Outlook 98: \Program Files\Common Files\

Information here (http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Troubleshooting_and_repairing_mailboxes_and_databa ses.html)
Ignore the other procedures on this site, the Inbox Repair is for Outlook 2000

Scouse
04-12-2003, 10:24 AM
thanks folks. We're working on it.....