PDA

View Full Version : Networking...

caffy
28-11-2003, 08:09 AM
Good morning people,

I am currently trying to set up a network connection between two computers. I bought the Belkin Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router for the gateway PC, and the Belkin Wireless USB Network Adapter for my PC. The USB Network Adapter was set up with no problems.

The problem is with setting up the Gateway Router. After installing the CD, I follow the setup process - correctly plugging in the router to the computer and ADSL modem etc. And it does a check to see if all the connections are right. However, when it comes to "4. Configure" it says "Error connecting to router".

What am I doing wrong here?

the process is:
1. Examine, all go
2. Hardware - plugging in etc, all go
3. Check, all go
4. Configure - "Error connecting to router"

The EasyInstall Wizard says to either troubleshoot or retry, I click on troubleshoot but everytime do this, it seems to freeze (the EasyInstall program).

I'm wondering if its to do with IP addresses (the error in connecting), as a window came up where I had to write them in, but they already had IP addresses in some of the spaces (so i left them as they were):

IP Address: 192.168.2.4
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DNS Address: (Blank)
Secondary DNS: (Blank)
Gateway Address: 192.168.2.1

Also, what is the Service Name, and Hostname? Do I have to fill those in?

Username:
Password:
verify Password:
Service name??
Hostname??

Hope someone can help,
caffy :)

PS: Both PC's are running WinXP Pro. Gateway PC has ADSL modem.

godfather
28-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Your router connects to the PC via a cat 5 ethernet cable?

Is that connection OK?, if directly connecting to the PC (and not to a hub) then are you using a crossover cable?

caffy
28-11-2003, 09:47 AM
How would I find out those details?

As I am not familiar with ADSL, etc. and the PC isnt mine (the gateway PC)

CYaBro
28-11-2003, 10:07 AM
Hi Caffy,

I would plug the Dynalink ADSL modem back into the gateway PC (how it was originally) and make sure internet works.

Then run cmd for dos prompt and run ipconfig and check what the IP address is and also the Default gateway address. The gateway address will be the IP address of the Dynalink ADSL modem which we need to know please.

To check cables have a look at both ends for the orange and green coloured inner cables. If they are in the same place on both ends then it is a patch cable. A cross-over cable will have the orange and green ones swapped over.

Murray P
28-11-2003, 10:08 AM
It is wireless isn't it? Open up your browser and type in 192.168.1.1 you should be prompted for a user name and password, the default for these will be in the manual. What is the model, is it 802.11b, 802.11g or 802.11a and is the network adaptor the same? Does the router have a built in hub? Are the correct drivers loaded for the network adaptor? I presume both PC's have network adaptors/Lan cards.

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
28-11-2003, 10:32 AM
Ah, thanks CyaBro. You don't plug in the router/gateway until the connection is setup with your DSL modem then then when prompted you plug the modem into the router/gateway with the cable you used to connect the PC to the modem, ie, Internet/WAN >>wall jack>cable>>DSL modem>>cat 5 cable>>Belkin Gateway/Router>>wireless>>usb Network adaptor>>usb port on PC. You need to be specific with the order you set it up. The software will get the correct setting from the PC and ADSL modem before you connect the Gateway/Router. Ther is no cable between the PC and Gateway/Router when it is set up correctly but there is one between the Gateway/Router and your modem.

Cheers Murray P

caffy
28-11-2003, 11:50 AM
> Then run cmd for dos prompt and run ipconfig and
> check what the IP address is and also the Default
> gateway address. The gateway address will be the IP
> address of the Dynalink ADSL modem which we need to
> know please.

Done, this is what came up:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-Specific DNS Suffix:
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

caffy
28-11-2003, 11:54 AM
> It is wireless isn't it? Open up your browser and
> type in 192.168.1.1 you should be prompted for a user
> name and password, the default for these will be in
> the manual.

I typed in the username (is passphrase the same as username? as this is what I was given) and password and it still prompts me for it...

>What is the model, is it 802.11b, 802.11g or
>802.11a and is the network adaptor the same?

It says on the model that it is 802.11b Wireless. So does the Network adapter.

caffy
28-11-2003, 11:56 AM
> To check cables have a look at both ends for the
> orange and green coloured inner cables. If they are
> in the same place on both ends then it is a patch
> cable. A cross-over cable will have the orange and
> green ones swapped over.

From what I can see, the colour on both ends run like this:
Orange-Orange-Green-Blue-Blue-Green-Brown-Brown. So this is a patch cable?

godfather
28-11-2003, 12:06 PM
If the colour sequence is the same at both ends, its a straight through "patch" cable.

I would have thought you would need a cross-over cable if you are not using a hub or switch.

My Belkin Air Point uses a straight through patch cable to my hub. Therefore if the hub wasn't there, I would need a cross-over cable I imagine

caffy
28-11-2003, 12:12 PM
A hub? isn't that what i am using?

Because the internet cable plus into the Router, and then a cable from router going to the computer (where the internet cable was plugged in before)

CYaBro
28-11-2003, 12:17 PM
OK, the Belkin Gateway has a built-in 4 port hub as well as an uplink port and Internet/WAN port because it has built-in firewall etc. (There are 6 RJ-45 plugs on the back)

Can you check again what the IP address settings are at the moment on the PC with the Dynalink modem plugged in because you may need to change the IP address of the modem to match the Belkin Internet/WAN port IP.

caffy
28-11-2003, 05:45 PM
CYaBro - those IP addresses i got, were obtained while i was connected to the Dynalink ADSL modem...

So do I now connect the Gateway Router to the PC and then do the same steps and find out the IP addresses for the Router?

Murray P
28-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Caffy ASFIK its a Gateway/Router/Firewall (not a modem) and needs your DSL modem to connect to the net. You plug the modem into the router and the router then connects to the computer by either etherent cable or wireless. You have a wireless adaptor so let it connect that way. You need to set up your dsl modem with the software first before pluging the router into the dsl modem and setting up the routers connection to the computer. The router does have a switch and an uplink port as mentioned. The uplink is for connection more network devices like, another switch/hub (to connect yet more devices), (network) printer, etc. BTW the wireless connection will obviate the need for a particular type of cable.

I don't have a suitable hat, but if I'm wrong I'll accept suggestions ;)

Cheers Murray P

caffy
01-12-2003, 11:46 AM
I've been away for the weekend, hence not updating what's been happening.

So far I think the gateway router has been configured but there's still problems occuring, so I think will have to contact the supplier directly...

I will find out what exactly the problem now is, and then let you all know..and then hopefully move on from that to solving it :)

caffy

CYaBro
01-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Hi Caffy,

Just had a thought. Ouch! Why not disable the Belkin Router/Gateway and just use it as a wireless access point and just plug the Dynalink into the uplink port instead of the Internet/WAN port. Don't really need to use routing in the Belkin because the Dynalink is a router as well!

This is one of the options in the manual so have a read through.

caffy
01-12-2003, 12:19 PM
Could you explain how to do that,

because I have forgotten which wires are which. at the moment there's a White wire coming out of internet/WAN Plug, and is not plugged into anything (this is the wire that orginially connected the ADSL Modem to the computer)

and the grey wire (supplied with the gateway router) is plugged into LAN on the ADSL modem and plugged into the computer.

caffy
01-12-2003, 01:57 PM
I tried plugging a cable from the Gateway Router's uplink port, to the adsl modem, and the other cable from port 1 to the computer but that didnt work.

still got error in the configuring process, exactly at 80% as it always has stopped at before...

CYaBro
01-12-2003, 04:49 PM
Set the PC to get an IP address automatically then open a web browser.

Don't run the Belkin wizard, won't work with this setup.

In the web browser go to 192.168.2.1 (should be default IP of Belkin)
then login. The password (NOT passphrase!) is written down on the piece of paper in the box.
Down the left hand menu under Wireless section click on Use as Access point only. Then select Enable and then it should ask for an IP address.
Put in 192.168.1.254 and leave subnet mask as 255.255.255.0
Now click on Apply Changes and you should then loose connection with it because the IP has changed to a different subnet.

No go into the PC's network settings and put back in the IP settings as listed earlier in one of your posts. Make sure the Dynalink is plugged into the uplink port on the Belkin and the PC is plugged into port 1,2,3 or 4 on the Belkin (which it should be already otherwise you wouldn't have been able to do any of this :)) and test the internet. Should work fingers crossed! Let us know how you get on. Then we'll tackle the wireless side.

caffy
01-12-2003, 05:09 PM
How should the gateway router and adsl modem be set up?
do i leave it as it is (the modem plugged in and running) or what?

caffy
01-12-2003, 05:10 PM
As i just tried to search for the address 192.168.2.1 and it says its not found...but the belkin router isnt plugged in so im assuming i have to set that up...but how?

CYaBro
01-12-2003, 05:11 PM
Yea, shouldn't be a problem to leave it running.

CYaBro
01-12-2003, 05:13 PM
Oops!

The cabling should go like this:

Telephone socket===>Dynalink ADSL socket
Dynalink LAN socket===>Belkin Uplink socket
Belkin Socket 1,2,3 or 4===>PC LAN socket

caffy
01-12-2003, 05:14 PM
But the belkin router isnt plugged into anything... jsut the adsl modem into the computer....

caffy
01-12-2003, 05:15 PM
Ahh just saw ur new message... will do that

caffy
01-12-2003, 07:20 PM
Yay!

I followed Cyabro's instructions and it refused to work for a while...

so i fiddled around with the ports...i.e before If the cable linking the PC and the Belkin router was in port 1, there was no LAN light on the ADSL Router...

In port 2, the LAN light came on, but internet still refused to work...So i plugged into port 4, and it works???

very weird...

so next step is to connect the gateway PC and my pc that has the USB Network Adapter...

will post back :)

CYaBro
01-12-2003, 07:46 PM
There is no gateway PC anymore Caffy. You are connecting through a hub (Belkin) which the dynalink is plugged into so you can use the internet from any PC without having to have the other one on!

caffy
01-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Ah right.

Still having problems setting up the connection between the Belkin Router and my network adapter.

I can type in the SSID ok, but if i click on another tab, and then click back on the general tab, the SSID changes back to "Any" instead of the name that was set up for that.

So click on Apply and it stays there...so i move on to doin the encryption stuff which i set at 128kb, and then type in the passphrase but then after typing in passphrase, an icon comes up in the taskbar saying "a network connection has been unplugged" ?

caffy
01-12-2003, 10:16 PM
Grrah,

have a new problem now...during the typing in of the encryption and passphrase, the computer froze.

i could not do Ctrl-Alt-Delete...Nothing was happening i left this for 10 mins still nothing happened. so i pressed restart

and now whenever i load XP, it comes up with a blue screen "checking the files on E: FAT32" or something like that... if i leave it to check the files it restarts, so the whole process goes on and on.

BUt if i press a key within 10 secs, then it loads XP but its INCREDIBLY slow! If i move the mouse, it takes maybe 5-10 secs for the mouse pointer to actually move.

Restarting the computer doesnt help, i still get the blue screen wanting to check the E drive, but it doesnt actually check, after the countdown has finished, it restarts again...

IF i boot into Win98, everything works fine with no lag or anything and no screen wanting to check the E drive etc..

caffy
01-12-2003, 10:50 PM
Hmmm, i had another look at my computer...

I disabled the Local Area connection (to the Belkin) and then there was no lag anymore...the mouse pointer was working fine, and then i enabled the LAC, and it was back to the old problem.

I am not sure, if disabling the LAC will get rid of the blue screen thingy...should I check? I probably will anyway :)

But how do i remove this problem? i dont want to have an incredibly slow computer when i eventually get the LAC working and am accessing the internet...

CYaBro
02-12-2003, 08:19 AM
There should be 2 network connections in the Network properties because you have a PCI network card as well as the wireless network card so make sure you are disabling the connection for the PCI network card and see what happens.

caffy
02-12-2003, 09:35 AM
I disabled the network connection for that, before I moved to new place.

The problem is with the Belkin network adapter, If i have it enabled the computer is realllly slow. If it's disabled it works fine, but i still get the Blue screen wanting to check the disks (it doesnt actually do this - after the countdown finishes, it restarts computer).

How do i solve this problem? it happened after i put in 128bit encryption, typed in passphrase and clicked on Generate, and then clicking on Apply, which freezes the computer and ccannot do anything....

?:|

CYaBro
02-12-2003, 09:47 AM
Unplug the usb wireless adaptor and uninstall the drivers/software for it.

Then restart PC and see how it goes. If it's fine then reinstall belkin drivers/software then plug usb adaptor back in.

caffy
02-12-2003, 10:04 AM
That worked, thanks Cyabro. Am installing it again now.

caffy
02-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Now its working again...

But i am a bit aprehensive of doing all that again (the encryption etc) because of what happened before, it happened like two or three times (freezing)...

caffy
02-12-2003, 10:26 AM
Yessss!

I decided to take the risk, and go ahead with all these stuff, and guess what? its working :D

thanks for ur help cyabro...