PDA

View Full Version : Your Details in Spam Mail

csinclair83
27-11-2003, 08:36 PM
How can someone get your details into spam mail..
for instance knowing where ur born, what school you went to..

i got a few spams lately saying what school i went to and my date of birth...

how did they get their hands on that kinda information?

i went to the school website to see if anything about me was on there but no theres nothing....so yea?

Elephant
27-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Did you put your details into a web site called "Old friends" maybe?

csinclair83
27-11-2003, 08:49 PM
ahhhh yeah but that was using a hotmail address and my emails been coming to my one i use now..

somebody
28-11-2003, 08:57 AM
Apparently if you pay enough to a dodgy LTSA employee, they will sell you a CD with people's details. That's why on some junk-mail I get, it says on the bottom "We obtained your personal details from the national Driver Licence database".

godfather
28-11-2003, 09:36 AM
> Apparently if you pay enough to a dodgy LTSA
> employee, they will sell you a CD with people's
> details.
Not quite right.

The CD bit is not correct, neither is the "dodgy LTSA employee" correct, it happens to be the law.

Anyone can request the details of the registered owner of a vehicle, for $2.50.
A limit of 1,000 requests at any one time applies.

Read about it here:
Getting owner details from the LTSA (http://www.parallaxresearch.com/news/2001/0430/nz_govt_selling_your.html)

somebody
28-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Oh ok. It was just a rumour a friend told me about. The fact that it's actually law is even scarier.

godfather
28-11-2003, 10:54 AM
I agree.

Its a trade-off I guess.

Its considered a "right" for anyone to find out who owns a vehicle. With that comes the ability to harvest the info, albeit in blocks of 1,000 at $2.50 per vehicle.

Perhaps the cost should go up, make it $10 per vehicle details, that would be a disincentive.

The curious thing is, if I get your phone number, there is no way for me to pay the authorities $2.50 to get your name and address. Why the double standard, when I can do it with your registration number?

somebody
28-11-2003, 10:57 AM
There's no reason to stop people accessing these details, what they need to stop is the block-buying. Block-buying of these details would obviously mean that they're not being used for the proper purpose - regular people who are purchasing a vehicle would only check a couple of car details, not 1000.

bmason
28-11-2003, 12:00 PM
According to a listener article I read a couple of years ago the housing department (the ones that keep a record of who owns/rents each house) do that too. Consumer magazine use them to get addresses for their junk mail (ironic isn't it).

Kame
28-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Some reasons is you've correctly filled in your information somewhere, anywhere and they've sold your details.

It's a scary truth that even though people have policies in place, what's the chances you can point it back to them.

MrBeef
28-11-2003, 12:58 PM
how many of you have putten your address on your Drivers License?

i was strictly told no by my parents

-=JM=-
28-11-2003, 03:51 PM
Not sure when it changed but I used to be able to get the names of the people that own a house along with a lot of other details by using a website. Now I don't get the names just the GV/RV, rates, etc.