PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic...HTOTW??

Terry Porritt
27-11-2003, 05:56 PM
If enough PF1'ers are interested then I each week I will post a HTOW.

What's that you say?

That stands for Hot Tune Of The Week, not to be confused with WFTWE, though I would post at the week end.

We have lots of posting about downloading music, recording, players, etc etc, but most of todays people never get a chance to listen to the pop music of the day as it was played and sung in the 1920s and 30s.

Those were the days when virtually all band and orchestra musicians were highly trained technically and had to be first class sight readers.
That is they could pick up a score or chart and play it right first time off.
Bands/orchestras were large compared with today, and usually employed exceedingly talented 'hot' front men.

The composers and arrangers were usually most highly trained also.

There were notable exceptions, the musical genius from Davenport, Bix Beiderbecke had great difficulty sight reading, yet he influenced a whole generation of musicians.

Irving Berlin could only play on the black notes of a piano.

The HTOTW would not be jazz in the sense of New Orleans, but rather the hot dance bands/orchestras American and British, such as Paul Whiteman Orchestra, Jack Hyltons Band, Bing Crosby and the Rythm Boys, Annette Hanshaw, to name just a minute few.

I would give a short write up about the tune, composer, band, vocalist,
and links to play streaming audio. Most generally Real Audio is what is used on those sites.

So please respond with a yea or a nay to this idea :)

(Incidently, 'hot' and 'cool' had quite different meanings in those days, especially 'cool')

godfather
27-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Yes!
Real music..

beetle
27-11-2003, 06:24 PM
are you going to play stuff just from the 1920-30s years?

or anything, time or date wise ?

fine by me, bit old for me, but knowledge is power i guess.

may even like some of it :D.....
LOL

beetle

Thomas
27-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Yes.

I used to play an instrument,namely the comb and paper,but had to give it up due a malady called tickle lips,so as you can guess I do like big bands.

Winston001
27-11-2003, 06:39 PM
Yes. Great idea.

Elephant
27-11-2003, 07:02 PM
In your case Beetle you might like to go back even further. I recommend Ravel's Bolero. This is the longest crescendo ever written in Classical Music. Starts off real soft and builds so it's rather loud at the end. Very relaxing though. You must have heard some of it if you watched Torvill and Dean ( Skaters ), I used to sit there and listen to each musical instrument coming in and identify. I'm listening to a version by Karajan as I write.

My favourites:-

Classical
Strauss (Father and two sons)
Gilbert and Sullivan
Bizet ( Carmen )

50's
Bing Crosby
Frank Sinatra
Dean Martin
Bill Haley and the Comets
Harry Belafonte

60's
Don't remember them. :-)
Hang on there was Elvis the Pelvis
Sidney the Kidney and Enis the .....................
Well something like that anyway.

I could go on but currently listening to CDs by Hayley Westenra, Shania Twain, The Shadows ( yep it's still good ) Great guitar work.

Murray P
27-11-2003, 07:07 PM
Yes. I can see the Chief Finacial Controller becoming very interested in PF1 so, I warn you to be very punctual Terry (her 5/7 daytime job is in U/H BTW Terry). I can also see a bit of competition for computer time, 3 into 2, and a roster arising therefrom ;)

Cheers Murray P

Elephant
27-11-2003, 07:10 PM
I like it.

Born in 1942.

Hmmmmmm. Real music for a change.

Go for it I say.

See my post to Beetle.

It may be that certain people may not be interested or they have a dial up modem which may take a while to download the music.

I wouldn't let this stop you. Remember those of you who won't listen. It's mostly not on the AM/FM band here on a day to day basis.

-=JM=-
27-11-2003, 08:14 PM
I like the idea. You might be interested in having a look at this site (http://www.otisfodder.com) in particular the 365 days section.

Billy T
27-11-2003, 08:38 PM
I'm with you there Terry, love the music.

Make sure you number them though, I only started as an afterthought and it is nice to know when the milestones come up.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Terry Porritt
27-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Thanks all for the positive responses, and your tip Billy to number the HTOTW.
I'll aim to get the first one up by tomorrow evening. It will be a tune that has been one of the most widely recorded of the 20th century, maybe even by modern groups, yet first hit the turntables in 1927.

Babe Ruth
27-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Hey terry love the idea...

I was born too early for the 'younger' generation music and too late for some of the best big band numbers....

Cheers, Babe.

agent
28-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Excellent idea!

But will you be going any further forward (say, the 80s)?

Despite the fact I was only born in the late eighties, I am finding good music from the decade... such as Eddie Grant's Electric Avenue, songs by U2, and Talking Head's Burning Down The House (I'm not actually sure that one was from the eighties, but all the same...

Terry Porritt
28-11-2003, 07:55 AM
No, agent this is going to be strictly limited to that particular era in time the end of the "Roaring Twenties" and the early 30s, the age of Prohibition, Speakeasies, Chicago mobsters, Al Capone, Flappers, the Depression, the New Deal, Night Clubs, hotels and cafes with resident orchestras and bands.

An age when popular dance music exploded onto the world disseminated by the newly emergent radio and the gramaphone, musical shows, dance halls etc.

Stay tuned :)

Poppa John
28-11-2003, 10:18 AM
Yes Please.. PJ

Scouse
28-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Great idea. I currently depend on
Cool Blue (http://www.coolblue.co.nz)

Kame
28-11-2003, 05:02 PM
After daring to enter here and find out what HTOTW is, after numerously putting it off, I came in to find it did not mean what I thought.

How The Off Topic Works :P

Well, I learn something from these off topics :P

Poppa John
28-11-2003, 07:55 PM
Scouse. When we were in Auckland before moving to Wanganui, Cool Blue was our favourite radio programme. Cannot get it here in Wanganui, damn. M & PJ

Billy T
29-11-2003, 11:54 AM
You can listen on line at The Cool Blue Website (http://www.coolblue.co.nz/) PJ

Cheers

Billy 8-{)