PDA

View Full Version : Server From Home

Scottie
27-11-2003, 04:53 PM
I am wanting to set up a server at home as I have 4 computers and just want to experiment a little bit. I am wondering if I can use one of those PC's as a server. The spec of the PC is a Pentium 2 with 128mb of memory.

If I was to make one of these PC's run as a server will I also need to run an operating system such as Microsoft's small business server?

Just wondering if someone can please help me as this is just an idea and you guys are usually great when it comes to putting a solution in place.

Thanks in advance.

Gorela
27-11-2003, 05:34 PM
Hi Scottie,

If you have four computers networked together you are already operating a client/server configuration :D without having to go to the expense of buying MicroSoft Small Business Server ;)

One option is to use linux on the computer that you want to designate as the server. The linux OS has Samba for creating a Windows style of network. This will allow you to create a single computer that can contain the "Home" or personal files for each user.

The later versions of Samba allow you to set roving profiles and central authentication.

It is also possible to use the linux computer as a print server.

Basically the main question is what are you wanting to "serve" as a standard Windows install can do most "server" functions as is :)