PDA

View Full Version : GeForce4 440MX Driver Update

Craig
27-11-2003, 03:49 PM
While installing Homeworld2 I was prompted that my driver was obsolete. So far I haven't found a suitable update for it. Can someone please help me determine which whether I need to update my graphics card driver, and which driver to upgrade to. I have a NIVIDIA GeForce4 440MX with AGP8X, with the driver version 4.0.7.2 If you could supply the exact url it would be appreciated.

Lohsing
27-11-2003, 03:55 PM
Go to nVidia (http://www.nvidia.com) website and download the latest drivers.

This will update your ones upon running.

Lo.

Craig
27-11-2003, 04:01 PM
I have but was unsure whether this driver was suitable:

Windows XP/2000

Version: 52.16
Release Date: October 23, 2003
WHQL Certified
English
File Size: 8.7 MB

Release Highlights:

November 5, 2003: Posted new English download to fix a problem with users running U.K. English versions of Windows XP who had downloaded the previous 52.16 driver
Enhanced image quality for both anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing
New nView 3.0 Multi-Display Setup Wizard—to easily configure your multi-display settings
nView Grid lines— to section off the display to help organize your various Windows
Customized user profiles—to save display settings and image quality settings on a per application/game basis
A new user friendly interface
Microsoft® DirectX® and OpenGL® support
Support for GeForce 5700, GeForce FX 5700 Ultra, and GeForce FX 5950
For a complete list of compatibility fixes please consult the v52.16 Release Notes below.

Jen C
27-11-2003, 04:19 PM
That is the driver you need (you are running XP?). Download it to your desktop. You should uninstall the old drivers first.

Go into Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager. Under Display adapters right click on your graphic card details and select Properties. On the Driver Tab select uninstall driver. Reboot the PC and XP will load the default drivers so the screen will look pretty icky. Then double click on the saved nvidia driver on the desktop to install it. Follow the prompts and you're done.

You might also want to grab DirectX 9.0b (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/) while you are at it.

Craigb
28-11-2003, 08:15 AM
Hi all
If one where to try and install the driver without uninstalling the curent driver as described above, might one experiance some decreace in frame rate in games (like about 50%) and a general slow down of the entire computer. Have a WinFast A170 Series GeForce4 MX SE and XP home. Is the driver being talked about here for this card.

Craigb

Pheonix
28-11-2003, 08:34 AM
A slow-down is not usually caused by video card drivers. The Nvidia drivers are for ALL the geforce series and also TNT.
I recall they used to advise you before an upgrade of driver, to change the video card to a standard VGA in the software. Although, with the later drivers they havent stated this. I have had no problems by just upgrading drivers for both GeForce2, 3, 4 models from different manufacturers in the last 12 months.
Hope this is of help.

tweak\'e
28-11-2003, 10:19 AM
>o into Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager. Under Display adapters right click on your graphic card details and select Properties. On the Driver Tab select uninstall driver.

with nvidia you are better off going yto add/remove programs and uninstalling the drivers that way. the uninstall should also install the default windows driver.

also check if you are running any manafactures tweaking program such as leadteks winfox as it may not be compatiable with the new drivers. if in doubt get the new drivers from the video card manafacture (eg leadtek)

Jen C
28-11-2003, 02:56 PM
> with nvidia you are better off going yto add/remove
> programs and uninstalling the drivers that way. the
> uninstall should also install the default windows
> driver.

Ah ha! Yes that is the better way. I was trying to remember what I did last time and forgot about the drivers also listed in add/remove :8}.

note to oneself: lay off the coffee and start drinking herbal tea ...