PDA

View Full Version : Partioning the drive on a laptop

Smurf
27-11-2003, 03:44 PM
I have an HP Laptop which has a single 30gig harddrive. What would be the advantages/disadvantages of partioning the drive and is there a suitable freebe programme that could handle the job if required? My OS is Windows XP.

Jen C
27-11-2003, 04:46 PM
The advantages of having a partitioned hard drive is you can keep all your personal files, images, other data etc on a separate partition to the operating system. This means that if Windows gets corrupted, you can reinstall the OS and know that all your saved personal data will be untouched on the other partition. It also makes defragging the hard drive easier as you will have a smaller sized drive to work with.

Disadvantages: using a non-destructive partitioner sometimes will fail and you will lose everything and might need to reinstall from scratch. Always perform a full backup first!.

A free partition can be obtained from here: Ranish Partition Manager (http://www.ranish.com/part/). I have never used this software myself so cannot comment on its ease of use and performance.

Smurf
27-11-2003, 04:58 PM
Thank you Jen