PDA

View Full Version : Networking queries.

beetle
27-11-2003, 02:48 PM
ok i have not and am at this stage not attempting to do this, but have some questions...

both my Puters run XP home, can these be suitably networked?
every thing seems to talk about 98 etc.

i realise these have to be conected so over what distance is cabeling ok? mine are at oppoiste ends of house.... (puters)

does it cost lots$$$ ??? how many different things would i need? and what do i need to know about the innards of my puters before i start?
netword cards? wrong name?
?:|
what are good points about being networked? bad points?

and the next biggy is could i do this ????
or do i need help????

the main reson is i dont like to share my puter but to get to puters running on the net means, kids or hubby have the option of haveing a go....

may be to much to work on but maybe by mid - late next year i want to be sufficiently knowledgeable to establish this???? or know that its too much for me, or just not bother option...:D

yes ?
no?

honesty wanted please.....

TIA

beetle

cyberchuck
27-11-2003, 03:10 PM
XPHome will network to itself in a breeze and should be fairly straight-forward to setup. The Windows Network Setup Wizard takes most of the hassle out of networking and many people I know have found it easy to setup and install their own home network.

Depending on how you plan on setting up the network depends on what cabling to use - if you want to go straight from PC to PC then you will need one crossover cable, if you want to go PC to switch then you will need a normal network cable for each of the machines. Most people go with UTP cabling which is relatively cheap and is readily available. UTP cabling is ok for ~150meters I think before you need to get in a relay, so I'm sure you'd be able to connect the computers up on a 30M cable or less. For a 30M cable you're looking at $40, so if you don't need that length the prices get lower to around $7 for a 1Meter cable.

Network Cards are cheap too, and most motherboards will come with built-in NIC's to save on having to buy and install one. To check if you have a Network card in the machine already, Start > Control Panel > (Thing that looks like the Icon for My Computer) > System > Device Manager > Network Interface Cards (or something like that). Someone will probably prove me wrong on this one.
Alternatively, you could click Start > Run > "CMD" > "IFConfig" and if the reply ends up with Local Area Network, IP Address = 0.0.0.0 then your machine already has your NIC up and running and is waiting to be used.
If this is the case then it means all you need to do is setup your machines (5minutes per machine), plug the cable in and away you go - you won't have to open up your case or anything.

The advantages to being networked:
- share files over a network instead of carting them via floppy disk or CD-R
- both machines can access the internet at the same time

Bad points:
- People forgetting they have a firewall enabled which stuffs up the entire LAN... apart from that you'll be ok :p

The whole fun about setting up a home network is to learn something, and I found the experience pretty worthwhile - at the end of the day the choice is yours.

CyberChuck

Wayne H
27-11-2003, 03:11 PM
from your other posts you seem more than capable of following the instructions that pressf1'ers can give you.

cable length max 100m
Network cards are no more difficult to install than other stuff you have done previously.
turn off computer
1. open case, install NIC (Network Interface Card) (with you, be very grounded, something about a long chain connected to the stove???):D
2. turn PC on, install drivers for NIC,
3. under users in winxp home create a user with the SAME name and password (if required) on each PC for each user that you want to setup.
4. lay cable how you want either drilling hole in floor or running cable up the wall and through the ceiling, Making sure that the cable you buy is a CROSSOVER cable
Before drilling holes anywhere lay cable down the hall way first to prove the point that you got it working, then go for it.
Setting up Internet connection wizard is not hard, it is just a matter of follow the instructions.
start -> control panel -> internet connection wizard or something like that (sorry don't have XP HOME.)

cable cost typically $1 per meter plus $2 per end measure how much you need and add 5 metres just to be safe.
NIC costs between $16 from good old Dick Smith each up to $120 for really good ones, however some people will tell you to flag cables and go wireless. they are comming down in price but not enough for the average home user.

somebody
27-11-2003, 03:13 PM
Firstly congrats for reaching 1234 posts (the number somehow popped out at me).

Networking XP is easy, as you can use the "Home and Small Office Network Wizard".

Each computer will need a network card (unless they're already built into the motherboard), and you'll need CAT5 or CAT6 cabling. If I don't remember wrong, they can be run for 100m without any problems. The cable is about $1/m (CAT5) and you can get it from somewhere like Dick Smith.

Theoretically you could do it yourself, but it depends on if you want to run the cables through walls etc. With the cost of the cabling, plugs, sockets etc. it might be worth investing in something like this:
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3fc54a3c0227387e2740c0a87f9906c1/Product/View/XH8135
to save you the effort of running cables.

somebody
27-11-2003, 03:14 PM
hmm.. I was a bit too late wasn't I..

Wayne H
27-11-2003, 03:17 PM
Start > Run > "CMD" > "IFConfig" and if the reply ends up with Local Area Network, IP Address = 0.0.0.0 then your machine already has your NIC up and running and is waiting to be used.

IPCONFIG and it should come up with 169.?.?.? because by default it is set to accept an ip address from DHCP server and it can't find one.
If it comes up with Dial up Adapter ip address, that is your modem ignore that.

mark.p
27-11-2003, 03:27 PM
> ok i have not and am at this stage not attempting to
> do this, but have some questions...
>
> both my Puters run XP home, can these be suitably
> networked?

Yes and there are plenty of sites that show how to do this....
In MS own words- http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p2p/

> every thing seems to talk about 98 etc.

Look harder ;) Hint - google.com

>
> i realise these have to be conected so over what
> distance is cabeling ok? mine are at oppoiste ends of
> house.... (puters)

100mtrs cat 5 network cabling will do it.

> does it cost lots$$$ ??? how many different things
> would i need?

See wown.com
>
and what do i need to know about the
> innards of my puters before i start?
> netword cards? wrong name?
> ?:|

Name is fine see above site.

> what are good points about being networked?

Lots see above site.

>bad
> points?

Not many.

> and the next biggy is could i do this ????
> or do i need help????

I feel you'll probably need assistance. But then again.............;)

> the main reson is i dont like to share my puter but
> to get to puters running on the net means, kids or
> hubby have the option of haveing a go....

Just don't give then permissions to access your stuff or set shares to certain files/folders.

> may be to much to work on but maybe by mid - late
> next year i want to be sufficiently knowledgeable to
> establish this????

Yes you will, with help fron F1 and google.

And http://www.homenetworkinghelp.com/

>or know that its too much for
> me, or just not bother option...:D
>
> yes ?
> no?

Its totally up to whether you want the network the PCs.

> honesty wanted please.....

Have been.
> TIA
>
> beetle

Mark.p

Wayne H
27-11-2003, 03:34 PM
>hmm.. I was a bit too late wasn't I..

No we are all eager to help beetle, just as cyberchuck beat me to it (man I type slow...)

mark.p
27-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Wrong url Bettle, sorry- http://homenethelp.com/

Some real good forums there too.

beetle
27-11-2003, 06:36 PM
Well thank you i think for the confidence....

will probably look a bit further into it in the future, when i am happy with boths puters before doing more fiddling along these lines....dont want to jinx anything at mo, cos at least weekly some operator idiot does some silly things and needs to back track a little.....:D no guess's who..

and currently am not chained to Stove, so no problem with not being um zapped or whatever yet...:p

the main prob is to actually get Hubby to say yes to more cables running around house...LOL and what to do with cables.... $$$ will worry about that when i need to...

oh and for those with little faith....;\ of course ill ask for help..... when i hit the panic button or just before.....:p

thanxs for all input, and im thankful for nice people like you who dont mind stupid long term questions....

and now if i had Winston's Tardis id be at the end of next year already and have my network set up.....lololol dreams are free...
as long as no cows get in my way...
google here i come.....

:D

if i think of anything else ill let you know.

:D beetle

Murray P
27-11-2003, 07:15 PM
Beet, jump up and down on the floor. If there is a hollw sound and a bit of spring, cabling won't be a problem. If, on the other hand, you get a painful jarring sensation and put your back out and loss a few millimetre in height, over the top via the roof space or wi-fi would be considerations.

Cheers Murray P

beetle
27-11-2003, 09:04 PM
um whats Wi-fi?????

and yeah concrete floor here, so no under floor cabling there....
and also two story house so now what???
just add it to the other cables running accross the ceiling instead....

but its not gonna happen anytime soon.....priorities.....

christmas is coming....ask and ye shall receive????
beetle

godfather
27-11-2003, 09:29 PM
WiFi is wireless networking.

Its not a lot dearer than cabling now, and would be the way to go.

One caveat: You run a Motel, and will likely have a lot of business travellers staying. Many of these will have wireless enabled laptops. You will need to implement security options, or they will be able to browse around your PCs and you will not know.

Its not a difficult thing to implement security measures though. I do on my network, even though it would be hard to get close enough without being seen.

It would cost $140 to have both PCs connected using a wireless ad-hoc network, based on DSE prices.

Scouse
27-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Hi Beetle. the main prob is to actually get Hubby to say yes to more cables running around house...LOL and what to do with cables....
Didn't you recently mention a rugrat wish a flair for using scissors???

beetle
27-11-2003, 10:38 PM
LOL yes we are working on that one, so much so that no one seems to find the scissors now.....

at moment said child is preocupied during daylight hours, threading beads on strings to hang on a said christmas tree which is to be put up on Monday, so all tendencys to cut are curbed in favour of new diversion....

method to the madness, in our house sometimes...

and by the time i get this network idea implanted in Hubbys head he'll think it was his idea, and said child will be at school....

beetle

beetle
27-11-2003, 11:04 PM
Goddie how close is to close for wireless???
the units are closer to the house than the distance apart of the computers....at opposite ends of house,

too close? about 5metres if that to unit??? and about 20 meters + between puters.
i got plenty of time to sort these things before i need cables anyway.

beetle

somebody
28-11-2003, 08:45 AM
Is the 2nd computer (20m away from this one) further away from the units? Bear in mind that WiFI equipment can have quite a large range. Something like this:
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3fc6532d07f5f8ea2740c0a87f99072c/Product/View/XH8135
costs $69 each and has a range of up to 500m outdoors, and at a very slow speed.

If you set the system up properly with necessary security measures, you could possibly charge your customers for internet access if they wish to use their laptops (make some extra $$$$).

Scouse
28-11-2003, 01:10 PM
Ho Beetle
With you WiFi system, you could always stand by and wait for the arrival of the Warmongers or whatever NZ_Liam and his group call themselves.
Just keep an eye out for four or five guys in a car with their laptops at the ready. You might even make a dollar by selling them a coffee or a bed for the night.

beetle
28-11-2003, 01:18 PM
have had a bit more browse of what has been said for me, and have some more questions.... :D
OK?

ok struggling here,

cant find in start >control panel >etc..... device manager thing.
so tried other start up CMD and IFConfig > does not appear to have correct batch or file name???

so am no further ahead.

also on wireless idea i feel very close to other buildings so that access will be easy for them to see my pc's....but they have internet capable phones in the units so am not sure about their usage...

at this stage it is not a major hurry for any networking to be done, but would like to at times have conveinience of 2 pc's on the net...
and also what difference is pc to pc or pc to switch?

and also being on dial up does this change things???
would i have to go ???? instead???

thanxs all

beetle

Wayne H
28-11-2003, 01:28 PM
IPCONFIG /ALL

Wayne H
28-11-2003, 01:29 PM
right click my computer left click manage, left click device manager

somebody
28-11-2003, 01:38 PM
> and also being on dial up does this change things???
> would i have to go ???? instead???

no. You can still share a dial-up connection between 2 computer (what i'm doing at the moment). It will just be quite slow if both computers are trying to access the internet at the same time.

beetle
28-11-2003, 01:38 PM
ok haveing a few gliches this end, keep losing pf1.....

ok got that far what if at all am i looking for name wise now????

got Device manager open but nothing is jumping out at me saying im here !!!! waving at me !!!! hello! so may be its not got something???

LOL its going to be a long day i can see that now...

thanxs

beetle

Jen C
28-11-2003, 01:46 PM
Hi Beetle

To save yourself sometime, I think we established some weeks ago that your machine does not have a NIC nor onboard lan when we were trouble-shooting your slow bootup time on this PC.

Your Office machine because it is newer however might have onboard lan. Look under Device Manager > Network Adapters for a device listing.

beetle
28-11-2003, 01:53 PM
did we???

this one is only a year old though.. no it doesnt have one.

ok going off to check other one. yes it does has a red cross over it though???
says CNet Pro 200 PCI Fsat Ethernet Adapter.

ok so one does and one doesnt... what does this tell me...

starting to sink now....may have bitten more than ready for yet ....ever ? :p

thanxs Jen

beetle

Jen C
28-11-2003, 02:02 PM
> did we???

Yes we did :D - in this very long thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=40321&message=205818&q=network#205818) near the bottom.

> ok going off to check other one. yes it does has a
> red cross over it though???
> says CNet Pro 200 PCI Fsat Ethernet Adapter.

This machine already has a NIC card installed - just needs to be enabled when you are ready to utilise it.

> ok so one does and one doesnt... what does this tell
> me...

You just need to have a NIC put into the older machine, they are quite cheap. Then you add the cross-over cables and you are all done (hardware wise at least :D)

beetle
28-11-2003, 02:10 PM
:8}

thanxs Jen may have remebered later on i guess, but with the one not haveing a card, that means opening the innards and putting one in???

may have to get help then..... wont know what im looking for as have never seen innards of it before....

and would i need to get same or similar card thing or anybrand will do???

beetle

Jen C
28-11-2003, 02:28 PM
You could get your local friendly tech to call by and put the card in plus then set up the network configuration for both machines - you can learn from watching him/her. Or you can give it a go yourself - putting in the NIC is the easy bit :D

You can buy any brand of NIC - out of interest, here is a piccy of the card you have in the office machine already - see here (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=109415). You will also need to get a anti-static strap first it you decide to DIY.

This website here (http://resnet.plattsburgh.edu/NIC_install.html) has a pictorial guide of what the innards looks like (it is an older model PC so your innards will look a bit different). Ignore the reference to ISA slots in that site, you will be using a PCI card.

beetle
28-11-2003, 02:55 PM
oh yes real easy peasey not.... :p

so when i get half way who am i gonna call????

beetle