PDA

View Full Version : two OS on one HDD?

mark c
27-11-2003, 08:48 AM
Hi everybody :D

Is it possible to have two OSs on one HDD without using partitions. I've seen a comp that had an OS one on each drive (and therefore two HDDs) and this screen came up which just said "Which one do you want?" Easy as and was wondering why can't you do a selection between two on one drive?

cyberchuck
27-11-2003, 09:17 AM
Without partitioning I'd say no.
Linux won't reside on a Drive with Windows on it because they use different filesystems (FAT32/NTFS and Ext2/Ext3), and Linux requires more than one partition anyway.

You probably can't do Windows/Windows installs on the same drive either as programs use commands such as %WINDIR% to find the Windows folder on the main drive, and if there's 2 OS' on the same partition you're going to have one really upset Registry, a hellova lot of problems installing and uninstalling Apps and so forth..
Is there a reason you can't partition?

mark.p
27-11-2003, 09:31 AM
Yes there are such OSs such as Qnx, BeOs and some linux distros that can just use a portion of your existing Hdd without partitioning, just a BIG file if you will -sort of virtual hdd. There's also virtual PC software available at a price to install/run other OSs via MS Windows.

mark c
27-11-2003, 09:32 AM
> Is there a reason you can't partition?

Just too stingy to pay for a partitioner really.
Thanks for that informed reply though, given me something to think about. I'd like to try a linux OS but looks like I'll have to get a partitioner or wait for a free version. Cheers :)

cyberchuck
27-11-2003, 09:34 AM
Linux has it's own partition proggy included with the installation of a distro. As far as I'm aware most won't touch the data on your HDD, but I've never done a dualboot installation with Windows/Linux so I'm not too sure.

rmcb
27-11-2003, 09:36 AM
Most modern Linux distros will safely partition your hdd for you when you install them.

mark c
27-11-2003, 09:36 AM
Hmmmmmmm. Well thanks for all that all. Sounds a bit difficult for me at the moment. I'll think about it. :D

mark.p
27-11-2003, 09:42 AM
Ms bought Connectx's Vitual PC software so just wait for it to be released at a Comp store near you ;)

-http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1378274,00.asp

mejobloggs
27-11-2003, 09:46 AM
Really, does linux not destroy everything in the partition? I will have to test that out on my old computer. mmmm.

mark.p
27-11-2003, 10:00 AM
>
> > Is there a reason you can't partition?
>
> Just too stingy to pay for a partitioner really.
> Thanks for that informed reply though, given me
> something to think about. I'd like to try a linux OS
> but looks like I'll have to get a partitioner or wait
> for a free version. Cheers :)
>

Hmmm- http://www.ranish.com/part/

mark c
27-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Thanks for that link to Ranish mark.p. Will give it a good checkout. :)

Barnabas
27-11-2003, 10:20 AM
I tried to install Linux while keeping my Windows partition. Linux tried to partition my drive and was successful but then it wouldnt install.(Mandrake 8). I tried again and it partitioned the leftover space on C: so that my windows partition was 1/4 the original size. Still couldnt get linux to go. Ended up doing a fdisk and format to configure dual boot. Eventually got both going before getting annoyed at linux for not being user friendly enough and removing it.
I guess its just a matter of getting used to it but frankly I just didn't have the patience.

mark.p
27-11-2003, 11:09 AM
> I tried to install Linux while keeping my Windows
> partition. Linux tried to partition my drive and was
> successful but then it wouldnt install.(Mandrake 8).
> I tried again and it partitioned the leftover space
> on C: so that my windows partition was 1/4 the
> original size. Still couldnt get linux to go. Ended
> up doing a fdisk and format to configure dual boot.
> Eventually got both going before getting annoyed at
> linux for not being user friendly enough and removing
> it.
> I guess its just a matter of getting used to it but
> frankly I just didn't have the patience.

Took me quite a few goes at-still learning off course. Linux does have a steep learning curve, but thats normal for anything different. It's nice to have an OS one can install on a virgin PC without paying "MS tax" :).

Barnabas
27-11-2003, 12:27 PM
Maybe Ill give it another go one day as Im all for not paying MS tax. I think that once Linux becomes a lot easier to install (i.e. put disk in and wait for install) then it will take off. Until then Im afraid Big Bad Bill will keep getting my, and a lot of other peoples, hard earned $.

Graham L
27-11-2003, 01:49 PM
If you put the Linux disk in (to suitable hardware) it will "just install" if you give it a computer with an empty hard disk. It will ask before it does anything fatal to what is there.

If you put a Windows install disk in, it will delete any preexisting non-MS OS. Without asking.

mark c
27-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Thank you too graham L. Interesting. Handy.

Megaman
27-11-2003, 03:23 PM
please... dont use fdisk. it screwed my win 95 without any bloody warning! seriously. use the partition magic demo (http://www.powerquest.com).

somebody
27-11-2003, 04:39 PM
The demo is non-functional - it lets you see what it can do, but it doesn't actually partition it for you.

Susan B
27-11-2003, 04:50 PM
> I've seen a comp that had an OS one on each drive (and therefore two HDDs)

That is the best option if you are able to do that - two hard drives with an OS on each drive.

> I think that once Linux becomes a lot easier to install (i.e. put disk in and wait for install) then it will take off.

I would not agree with that. Installing Linux is the easiest part. :|

> use the partition magic demo.

The demo is just that - a demo. It will not actually partition a hard drive, just show what it can do.

Chilling_Silently
27-11-2003, 04:54 PM
You CAN have two OS's on the one Disk (One 9x based and one NT-Based.. eg Win98 and WinXP).

However things get very messy very quickly and its not a good idea.

Linux can be installed by using a loopback filesystem, and basically it creates a file on your FAT32 or whatever HDD, and will use that file to hold all its own file-system. There is minor performance degration, but its not too bad if your PC's up to scratch.

Best for Linux to install on native Ext2/3, or for Doze to have seperate partitions.

Chill.

ilikelinux
27-11-2003, 06:49 PM
the setup for my comp with two os's

5 gig parition for xp
40 or so gig for data so when i rebuild windows i don't lose everything
2 gig for transfere between doze and linux
10 gig for linux.

Works like a dream....

(not doze, tho doze is just for kazaa, bf1942 and maya 5)

mark c
29-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Just a note to say thanks for all the replies. (just got back to the internet) I think i'll go the 2 HDD way.
cheers :D

mikebartnz
01-12-2003, 01:39 AM
And now they have bought it they will cripple it so that it does not run on any other OS especially Linux

mikebartnz
01-12-2003, 01:43 AM
I have done several Linux installs and have found them easier than any Windows installs. You don't have to do about twenty reboots to get it running just one.

Chilling_Silently
01-12-2003, 09:21 PM
> I have done several Linux installs and have found
> them easier than any Windows installs. You don't
> have to do about twenty reboots to get it running
> just one.

Which Distro? Ive found Fedora and Lycoris' Desktop/LX (Playing solitare while installing is real cool) to be best!

;-)

Sorry for taking this Off-topic :p

mikebartnz
01-12-2003, 09:44 PM
Several RH and one Indian one I downloaded on dialup. Without digging through all the CD's I have can't remember what it was called but it looked like it had good potential. Would have tried another but having downloaded about a gig of 1.2 the last night I went to continue the download discovered they had moved site so lost it. If I had adsl I would have looked at a few others.
Have yet to get Fedora.

Chilling_Silently
01-12-2003, 09:53 PM
Im sending two other PF1'ers CD's this week.. send me an email, or IM me if you want me to add you to the list... ;-)