PDA

View Full Version : Repeating Critical Update

eef2
26-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Microsoft keeps telling me through it's auto update system that I need to download patch no. 817787 for Windows Media Player version 7.1.
Now, I have already downloaded this 3 times before as borne out by the installation history which you can click in the left sidebar. All of the downloads of this patch have been successful.
Would it have anything to do with the fact that my Windows Media Player already installed on my machine is version 7.01.00.3055 - presumably not the latest version?
If so, one can deduce one's own commentary for this type of behaviour from Microsoft.
Cheers.

Susan B
26-11-2003, 10:34 PM
You are not alone. I am having trouble with KB810217 - have downloaded and installed it at least four times but the reminder still keeps telling me I need it. Might have to get around to finding out how to fix it one of these days.

eef2
26-11-2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks, Susan B :)
Do you think, as I do, that these repeats are built into a "bot" system that keeps on doing it until you have upgraded to the latest version, and then the "bot" ;\ is satisfied and leaves you alone?

Oxie
27-11-2003, 08:59 AM
eef2 and Susan B

I too have installed KB828035 twice (and am waiting for it to rear its head again). I have since taken note of one of Godfather's posts which reads:

" Go here:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Click on View Installation History
If it confirms a correct installation was performed, then click on Personalise Updates
If its waiting again to download it, deselect it.
Save settings
Exit the site.

You may need to wait until it tries to make it available again, or it will not be available to de-select.
Turn off Auto Updates for a day or so, and keep checking.

As to why its happening, no idea, and any correction apart from the above may not be easy or possible?"

Good luck!

Oxie

Susan B
27-11-2003, 05:20 PM
OK, well guess what? Today I went into Add/Remove Programs and attempted to uninstall my wonky Hotfix but got the warning that it would affect several of my programs so I cancelled that.

Next I let Windows Update download the Hotfix again and it has finally decided that it has been installed after all. I wonder how long for though? Stupid thing.

Another thing I found today was a program that is supposed to tell you what updates have been properly installed and what needs redoing. You can find info about it here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q282784). I ran that prior to re-downloading my Hotfix and it said it was correctly installed so don't ask me if it works properly. :p :D

Susan B
27-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Oh, I forgot..... thanks for that info Oxie, if I get any more funny business with mine I'll try the stuff you have posted. :-)

eef2
06-12-2003, 12:10 PM
Have printed out your suggestion, Oxie, and will give it a go when I have time. Will let you know what happens. Thanks. :)

Susan B
06-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Progress report: I had no luck in preventing my update wanting to update itself until I followed the instructions in Oxie's post. Since then have had no more problems. Thanks Oxie. :-)

eef2
06-12-2003, 09:18 PM
Update on my Windows Media unwanted download:
Followed your instructions, Oxie, and learned a few new things while I was there (hardware driver updates etc.). Clicked on Save settings after deselecting everything that microsoft thinks I need and exited site.
Next, I try to turn off Auto Updates - only way I could think of doing this was by taking the shortcut icon off the desktop's sidebar - above the start button:)
Now, I actually expect to be revisited by this annoyance again, but hope and trust that it goes away after a few days..
Thanks for you help, Oxie.

_mike_
06-12-2003, 10:50 PM
Hi

You should be able to turn off automatic updates in the Control Panel, Automatic Updates applet.

_mike_

Jen C
06-12-2003, 11:09 PM
> Next, I try to turn off Auto Updates - only way I
> could think of doing this was by taking the shortcut
> icon off the desktop's sidebar - above the start
> button

Have a look in Control Panel > System > Automatic Updates. You can select what options you prefer.

Jen C
06-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Oops - I'm a bit slow here - _mike_ had already posted when I had my back turned doing other things :)

Also, my instructions were for WinXP which I forgot to mention.

eef2
06-12-2003, 11:49 PM
Trouble is, - I'm on WIn 98 SE (sigh) - oh well.:-(

tweak\'e
07-12-2003, 09:13 PM
control panel/internet optoins/advanced "auto check for updates"

eef2
07-12-2003, 10:59 PM
Thanks, tweake. Now I won't have anymore unwelcome visitations from Microsoft. I don't care much for it's Outlook Express as a matter of preference,
and there's very little updating they would do now for Win 98 which I want to stick to. However, as I said before, the experience has been rewarding as I did discover the little corner they have for driver updates which I might have otherwise missed.

tommy
08-12-2003, 09:28 AM
> I don't care much for
> it's Outlook Express as a matter of preference,
> and there's very little updating they would do now
> for Win 98 which I want to stick to.

If you do use Outlook Express and/or Internet Explorer it would still pay to keep them up to date, especially Internet Explorer, as Microsoft fixes security holes in the updates.

Kame
08-12-2003, 11:09 AM
I have had many problems with repeated automatic updates, so I just visit the URL they talk about it and you can manually download the update, save it to your drive and install the file, after that, the repeating ended.