PDA

View Full Version : Cameras on a LAN?

stuffed
26-11-2003, 02:28 PM
How can I set up 2 computers on a network, each with a camera so that can have a small viewing screen on each with the camera from the other PC? Yeah know it could be done through an IM service but just want it in house!
Thanks

agent
26-11-2003, 03:53 PM
I know this can be done using two webcams, GKrellM ported to Windows, and a program that would automatically grab an image from the webcam every five minutes or so.

But this wouldn't give you a live video stream (is that what you wanted?), and it would be rather complicated to set up.

You can also use Microsoft NetMeeting to connect to the other computers IP, but on the other hand, it might not be a good idea to have two video streams constantly going over your network...

ilikelinux
26-11-2003, 06:25 PM
>image from the webcam every five minutes or so

then you just change it from 5 min to 0.1 seconds?

somebody
27-11-2003, 08:47 AM
What's wrong with having 2 constant video streams going over a LAN?

cyberchuck
27-11-2003, 08:55 AM
The bandwidth required would be huge and you'd notice the slowdown when it came to moving files across the network and so forth. It depends on the quality and size of the video stream, but it's still a bandwidth hungry service...
The same thing happens with Virtual Desktops - even at numbers you notice the lag when it comes to remotely administering a machine.

cyberchuck
27-11-2003, 08:56 AM
That should be "remote desktop" not virtual desktop

stuffed
27-11-2003, 08:59 AM
A live stream was what was wanting - there must be an easy way to do this? It is easy enough to do to the other side of the world - just want to do it to the next room!!! There must be some sortware out there somewhere that does this?
Thanks

agent
27-11-2003, 09:00 AM
Well, even on a 100MBps LAN, it would use a considerable amount of the available bandwidth.

As we all should know, too, the more bandiwdth you have available, the more is wasted.

cyberchuck
27-11-2003, 09:05 AM
> A live stream was what was wanting - there must be an easy way to do this? It is
> easy enough to do to the other side of the world - just want to do it to the next room!!!
> There must be some sortware out there somewhere that does this?

As said, have you tried using NetMeeting? IIRC it's installed with IE if you do the typical install. Otherwise just update the IE installation with one from a PC Mag CD and install NetMeeting then.
This will do video streaming for you, and also do nifty things such as File Transfer, Desktop Sharing and Whiteboard (like MS Paint except you can do it together). Then, when you get really really bored you use Whiteboard to play Noughts and Crosses against the guy on the other machine

tweak\'e
27-11-2003, 10:06 AM
if i remember correctly there is a program called video lan which should be able to handy running cameras across a lan. i havn't tried it .......

also bandwidth on a 100Mb/s lan shouldn't be to much of a problem. simply reduse the resultion for the cameras. if i can run a camera on 56k modem then on a 100Mb lan should be fine and still alow enough bandwidth for file transfer in the background.