PDA

View Full Version : Video adapter failure

northcote
26-11-2003, 01:15 PM
I am running a pentium 150 with 64 mb ram and windows ME and I am trying to install a video card RageLT ProPCI with TV out.
When I install it on its own the computer absolutely refuses to start with no display. When I install it as a secondary adapter with the monitor plugged in the primary adapter the computer starts but in device manager the rage adapter has a yellow exclamation mark and in general properties there is the following message The area normally used by video is in use by another program or device. Would aappreciate help in getting the Rage video adapter going either on its own or as a secondary device as I wish to use the TV out feature
thanks Dave

chiefnz
26-11-2003, 09:58 PM
Ummm yeah, as far a I am aware, you may need to have an OS which actually supports multiple display adapters, I'm not sure.

Either that or you may need to remove the existing card and just use the single Savage card.

qhat kinda chipset does the savage use, as i said before Windows ME may not support multiple adapters.

Elephant
26-11-2003, 11:08 PM
Have you checked the BIOS and disabled the other card assuming it is onboard. Want to tell us what motherboard you have?

We know the O/S is WinMe.

The motherboard may well have an onboard AGP. Depending on the motherboard you would disable the onboard AGP and boot PCI first rather than AGP.

Best though that you advise us as to what motherboard you have.
I don't want to put you wrong.

northcote
27-11-2003, 08:36 PM
The computer doesn't have onboard adapter display just an obscure PCI card and yes I would like to just run the ATI Rage LT Pro PCI card which I bought new but is sparse on specific info The mother board is Intel
When I try to run the Rage card on its own the computer stops a few seconds into starting with no display and the green power indicator light on the monitor blinking cheers Dave

Murray P
27-11-2003, 08:50 PM
Have you got the drivers loaded? Before installing a new graphics card, its often best to uninstall the existing cards drivers so that you are using the standard windows vga ones then, install the card start her up and laid the new drivers from disk or whatever (eg, where you have saved them to your hard drive). Back up your old cards drivers if you don't have a copy on file or disc.

Cheers Murray P

PS. Remove the old card when you install the new one. If you don't have the drivers for the new card do a search on driverguide.com

Murray P
27-11-2003, 08:53 PM
Another thought. Check that the card will run on a P150. I think that is before MMX but, don't quote me on that ;)

Cheers Murray P

chiefnz
27-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Ummmm just a thought....

Have you tried the Rage card in another machine, it may be possible that the Rage card is faulty.

cheers
chiefnz

ilikelinux
28-11-2003, 07:40 AM
have you tried taking the old card out and then putting the new one in?

some times it conflicts.

somebody
28-11-2003, 09:05 AM
It has nothing to do with drivers, because it hasn't even got up to the stage of loading windows.

It will be a hardware problem somewhere, most likely a faulty Rage card, or an IRQ conflict.

northcote
28-11-2003, 09:08 AM
I have tried all the above many times and I have tried the card on a duron 1.1 running winXP and it does work and am beginning to wonder if its not compatable with the pentium 150 or if there is something I have to set in the startup menu. Although the card is definitely PCI the chip on the card is Rage LT Pro AGP. cheers and thanks Dave

somebody
28-11-2003, 09:14 AM
According to ATI website:

PCI Version: Pentium/Pro/II systems with PCI. 33 MHz PCI local bus 2.1 compliant. Video requires CD-ROM drive

So theoretically it's compatible. I'd say it's an IRQ problem - what's the error which comes up when you have both installed in Device Manager? Can you tell us the exact error word-for-word?

northcote
28-11-2003, 09:56 AM
The error message relating to the rage card when both are installed is Multible Display support cannot start this device.The area of memory normally used by video is in use by another program or device.
cheers Dave

Murray P
28-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Leave the old card out. It looks like your getting conflicts with the new and old. I still advise to set your drivers to stanadard windows ones before istalling the new card to avoid further conflicts (good practice when installing video cards). Also try swapping it around the PCI slots it might like some better than others re IRQ's etc. It is a plug and play card, I take it.

Cheers Murray P

northcote
28-11-2003, 07:24 PM
I tried all the above and tried it on a friends older similar p150 vintage computer with no success and have come to the conclusion it wont work on an older motherboard thanks for the advice and I will use it on my newer duron 1.1 where it at least works cheers Dave