PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic - Ever been pulled over for no apparent reason?

Kame
26-11-2003, 12:23 PM
I had a run in with the police a few nights ago, I was pulled over because I drove "lively" around a corner. I asked him why I was pulled over for driving lively around the corner and what lively meant to him. He told me I should know what lively means but I was not questioning my meaning of lively but his, lively to me means full of energy.

So we go through the whole routine, handing over my drivers license, him checking the vehicle out, asking his, I guess normal processing questions, had I been drinking, who does the car belong too... etc, but I'm still wondering what he meant by lively. I know I wasn't speeding around the corner.

So he goes and checks my car, then radios back about the plates, then comes back and tells me that the plates do not belong to this car, it belongs on a different model. He then asks me to open the bonnet so he could look under the hood. So I'm thinking, why does he have to lie, as I know the plates belong to this car, the only difference is that I had the car repainted a different colour, so after checking under the bonnet and wasting my time, he comes back and asks me whether I had the car painted, and I said yes. Then he tells me the plates are registered to my model of a car but a blue car, well duh! (so where did he get a different model from?).

And so it goes on... he lied about the car model, I knew of the colour change, because I had the car painted a different colour and the outcome of it all, I didn't receive no fine, had half an hour wasted when I was driving to pick up my mum to drop her off at the airport (lucky for me I leave with time to spare) and a message from the police to drive less lively around corners.

Which kind of hits the nerve because I don't tell the police how to do their job, and if driving lively around a corner is a valid reason to pull someone over, even though I wasn't speeding, and kept to my side of the road. I'm wondering if police are abusing their power, and I hear that they have to do a certain amount of tickets a day etc, which I believe is a challenge that is created so police are definitely going to abuse their power just to make sure they write the required amounts.

So after the police leave, they flashed their lights again and pulled a car over who had just drove past. So I'm thinking they are abusing their power.

Barnabas
26-11-2003, 12:31 PM
I guess if you can get penalised in rugby for lazy running then you can get pulled over by the police for lively driving. Sounds logical to me.

Scouse
26-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Nice posting. You could of course address a similarly worded letter to the local district police administrator - used to be called the District Commander - and ask him to define the term. Lively could be linked somehow to the proposed scratch and win safety thing. Perhaps it has been slipped in to the road code.

Jester
26-11-2003, 12:44 PM
"Lively" driving would be a godsend here in Tauranga

Most of the driving here could be considered deatlhy ... except for those on their $10,000 mobility scooters who shoot out across the rooad without looking first!

J
:D

metla
26-11-2003, 12:48 PM
Speaking of Police abusing their power,Seems they have found Graham Walsh's body.......

Graham L
26-11-2003, 12:50 PM
Serves you right for breathing. ;-)

Oxie
26-11-2003, 12:56 PM
Kame

I agree with Scouse. You should send a similar courteous letter to the Police and ask for an explanation.

My husband had an 'interesting' experience yesterday whilst driving to work. I was not with him so can only tell the story second-hand. He was pulled over by the police for driving over 70 km per hour in a 50 km per hour area. As my husband knew he was not going over the speed limit (he was going down hill keeping an eye on his speed being very conscious not to go over the limit because of getting a ticket a couple of weeks ago) he told the officer he was not going over the limit and asked for proof that he was. The officer said his car was seen by another patrol car to be going at the speed mentioned. My husband then questioned the officer further, and the officer phoned the other patrol car. The officer then reported back that the other patrol car said a woman was driving. So he had obviously stopped the wrong car. Surely he should have had a number plate to refer to before stopping someone. Anyway, my husband asked for an apology, and was rewarded by, "Show me your licence". He eventually received his apology but was not impressed.

Oxie

Buster
26-11-2003, 12:57 PM
I would write a letter to the police and address it with them. Not sure what results you will get by doing that probably nothing.

I had a funny run in with the police one night -

I was stopped at the lights and just around the corner was a cop car sitting there doing nothing so i drove past him then his lights and all that jazz went off and i pulled over. He stopped behind me and came up to the window. Hi, how are you doing this evening sir he said i replied yes fine thanks what seems to be the problem?? he said you were going a bit fast around that corner (not sure if that was his exact words were but similar to what you got told Kame) anyway i was thinking how can i be going fast around that corner when im stopped at the lights just meters prior to the corner.

So he asked me the usual stuff as you said Kame and then breath tested me. This is were it got real interesting i actually failed the breath test and on a restricted licence at the time (we all know the rules on this) i had not a drop of alcohol so i had to get out my car and do another breath test the one you blow into the bag (the original one was say you name etc into the handheld).

The time when i got pulled over was 9.30 was on my way to my girlfriends place so on a restricted licence you are not allowed to drive past 10pm by the time he checked my car out breath tested me and told me to get out etc it was getting on 9.50pm i was getting rather annoyed with all this mucking around by this point and then he decided to ask what i have been up to tonight and where i am off to. I said im off to my girlfriends place blah blah blah then he goes on about im not allowed to drive after 10pm like i didn't know the rules etc.... i said yes i know what they are and what not to do when driving on the restricted can i go now please??? yes you can but next time drive with more care around corners he said

All i can say is what a waste of time don't they have much to do these days??? as Kame said are they abusing their power

Chris Randal
26-11-2003, 01:04 PM
I have thought for some considerable time that we seem to be living in a police state.......

Budda
26-11-2003, 01:09 PM
LOL not sure what the actual law is, but i know myself and friends have been pulled over many a time with random excuses such as, "Random Check Sir", or "Bit Fast round that round-a-bout mate", or even so far as to ask "Have you got a cert for those after market seats and stero you have in your car son?"

I agree there is a bit of a problem on our roads with "hoons" but sometimes it seems they are just barking up the wrong tree when you cant even get a cop to dust your house or car if they are broken into.

Archibald
26-11-2003, 01:33 PM
I've been pulled over for no apparent reason. I was out driving (day time) with a couple of friends a couple of years ago (sunday driving in a town other than my own). We were followed for around 10 minutes, I had to my knowledge not broken any road rules.

The cop had waited till when were on the main road where all could see then with lights and sirens pulls us over. Was asked to step out of the vehicle (just me).

Was breath tested, and told I was over the limit. I had not had anything to drink in the last few days and I never ever drink and drive. This policeman harrassed me and keeped telling me I was over the limit. I called out to my friends in the car to verify that I had nothing to drink only to be told to shut-up or I would be arrested. He eventually got bored with me told me to be on my way and did'nt want to see me again.

Now I'm a respectible law abiding citizen :) (as are my friends) and don't drive around "lively" :D trying to bate the police or anything, thats just not me.

One of my friends in the car that day owns a black stk standard GTO and drives it like my grandmother does/would (apart from racing a Bell Jetranger on a longggg straight back country road in excess of 200ks) and he constantly gets pulled over when he drives to Palmerston North.

He now has no respect for the law. He is a local bussiness's owner, not in his teens or early twenties and as written above, drives like an old woman.

I know not all police are like this, it's just a very very small minority who think they have the power of harrassement do and say as they please.

After watching police ten 7, nobody respects the police force anymore and this is going to make there job harder to do just because of a few cops with over large ego problems who never had friends or got respect at school or in the community.

Yea yea bla bla bla.... :)

Archibald
26-11-2003, 01:49 PM
Just read Buster's post. Is this a common police practice to tell motorist they are over the limit even though they have nothing to drink?

I had to blow into a bag and was the first time I had been tested before so I new not what was a pass or fail. The cop even showed me the result stating...see this, this is a failed result. He did'nt ask me to do another test either. Just staight out harassment.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
26-11-2003, 02:00 PM
> Speaking of Police abusing their power,Seems they
> have found Graham Walsh's body.......

Umm care to explain how you got "Graham Walsh shot a cop then did himself in" to turn into "Police abusing their power"

?:|

somebody
26-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Since so many of you have had bad experience, write letters to the Police Complaints Authority and let them know. If possible, let them know of the police officer's name, car licence plate, time, date of the incident. Hopefully they'll do something about it.

Billy T
26-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Alcotech screeners ( the sort you talk into) and the Bags can give false positives from substances normally present on your breath so the Police may have been responding to a positive indication. I was stopped at a random checkpoint once and failed the test because I had just eaten a muesli bar. It took 20 minutes for the effects to clear before the Police would let me go, though they did accept that I had not been drinking.

The breath test machines at the Stations and in booze buses can give false positives too for a variety of reasons. I have seen tests that show false positives for bread, certain sweets and other common substances, and they will also clock up false highs if a digital cellphone is operated nearby. They are normally fairly reliable, but are not infallible.

If you get pinged by one of those and you are sure you are under the limit, go for a blood test as they are the only reliable measure of blood alcohol.

The best defence against all of these issues of course, is to not drink and drive.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Kame
26-11-2003, 02:13 PM
This isn't the only time I haven't been pulled over for no apparent reason, another time, which I would like to question the actual law about is they approached the car, and asked me to open my boot, nothing more than that. They pulled me over, walked towards the car and asked me to open the boot without giving any reason as to why, or what I had been pulled over for.

I thought the police didn't have the power to search your car/house without a warrant, and although I agreed to letting them search it since I had nothing to hide I just let them get on with it. So after checking out my boot, which I have no reason why they wanted to, unless he likes my sound system and just wanted to see what was booming down the street then hey check it out.

Then he comes back and says did you realise you pulled out of the petrol station with no lights on, which I knew was a lie because I pulled out of the petrol station about 20 minutes ago and then went around the block and past the petrol station again, this time not stopping into the petrol station, it was after I went around the block that he pulled me over, and assumed I came out of the petrol station. I know my lights were on because I never switched them off when I entered the service station, next thing he tells me, they are looking for a silver/grey car, same make but not model as mine, in fact how different is a Galant VR4 to a Lancer?, apart from one thing, my car isn't silver/grey, it's was more a brown/gold colour and even colour blind people could see the difference.

The reason why they were looking for this grey/silver car is because it's stolen and has stolen goods, well if they weren't wasting their time, I could have told them I saw a silver/grey Lancer, heading in the opposite direction to which I came from, if I could see it, why couldn't they?

So again, it's lies after lies, coming from the police. I believe they can make up any story they like, just to be able to abuse their power. I'm still waiting for the time I actually get a speeding ticket, it'd be my first driving offense.

Archibald
26-11-2003, 02:14 PM
> Since so many of you have had bad experience, write
> letters to the Police Complaints Authority and let
> them know.

The police look after their own as you already know. They don't like to acknowledge that they may have corruption within their force.

agent
26-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Oh, it could be quite easy... what say Graham Walsh wasn't doing anything wrong, he was just pulled over randomly like a few of the people here have said happened to him?

Mind you, he could've easily been paranoid about the police; it was said that he didn't like them or something because they didn't do anything when he filed a robbery report- something like that, anyway.

bmason
26-11-2003, 02:18 PM
The reason would have been either your age or model of car, but they always have some other excuse.

My brother delivers pizzas and he frequently gets pulled over. Recently he finally got pulled over after being followed for half an hour. The excuse was his engine was ticking (valves, nothing urgent apparently). It is a very faint tick so there is no way he could have heard it from the patrol car, my guess is he though walking up to the car.

I don't know why they are wasting time like this when there is no shortage of idiots/a*holes on the roads.

Kame
26-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Any chance that the food you eat can go into a fermentating process or is the digestive system too quick?

Also what is it that they are checking for in your breath? I mean if it's the contents of what alcohol is made out of, then how can the test be accurate as alcohol can be made out of most common items we eat.

Archibald
26-11-2003, 02:19 PM
> Bags can give false positives from substances
> normally present on your breath so the Police may
> have been responding to a positive indication.

Billy, my one did'nt even change color. It was my first ever and was none the wiser. My guess is thats why he did'nt want my friends around.

Kame
26-11-2003, 02:58 PM
The thing I find is, police think you're guilty the minute they see you. Judges/Jury etc, can't do that until proven.

So already I see that there's a difference in the law.

The police ask you questions, yet I look at them and think they aren't even listening to me. The questions they ask too, they don't believe the answer anyway. Have you been drinking? No... but who's silly enough to answer yes? In fact if I answered yes, and then they find out I was lying, can they take action from that? I'm sure they would do anything just to make you feel silly about lying about the answer, especially when cops are so good at lying.

Scouse
26-11-2003, 03:00 PM
You want to be stopped. Get yourself a set of stick-on racing stripes and run them up over the bonnet and roof. Unbelievable.

hamstar
26-11-2003, 03:17 PM
>Since so many of you have had bad experience, write letters to the Police Complaints Authority and let them know. If possible, let them know of the police officer's name, car licence plate, time, date of the incident. Hopefully they'll do something about it.

We should just email this thread to the plice commisioner or watever...

and probably someone without music or copied games on their computer cos they'd probably want to search it just for emailing them! :D

metla
26-11-2003, 03:44 PM
> > Speaking of Police abusing their power,Seems they
> > have found Graham Walsh's body.......
>
> Umm care to explain how you got "Graham Walsh shot a
> cop then did himself in" to turn into "Police abusing
> their power"
>
> ?:|
>

Ok,Take the few tales in this thread so far,Multiplie it by 200 and spread it over 10 years.Then apply the result to Graham.

Graham was targeted by the police over the years almost to the point where it wasn't viable for him to be in bussiness.They went out of there way to make things difficlt for him every step of the way.

Since the biggest incident was the prior gun related charges ill touch on that.At the time his place of work was getting broken into on a reguler basis,The police were notofied and apart from filing a report at the station offered no further help.The break-ins continued and the police continued to claim nothing could be done.So Graham went down there himself,Caught them in the act of theiving,detained them and rang the police.Who immediatly responded by arresting him on the spot and telling the theives to go home.

After this incident Graham badmouthed the cops to there faces,in court,in the media and wherever else he could.The police it seems held a grudge,Even though the court threw all the charges out he was as i said above persecuted for his actions and words over a long period of time.Nothing major just numerous petty incidents meant to do nothing but remind the small fish that they are indeed small fish.

-=JM=-
26-11-2003, 03:59 PM
Is it cos I is black?

Anyway.

Yes the police do seem to abuse their powers at times, though I can't actually say I've read all about their powers and our rights/reponsobliities. I heard that if you request that the police tell you what they've told you you're being pulled over for that is all they can do. If it's to check your licence they can't then check your registration while they're at it, unless they said they were going to in the first place. I must get around to reading all about it at some stage.

Yes the police certainly do have quotas to meet. Get this, my mate was in Queenstown and got done for 130km/h on the way down. While he was in Queenstown this happened though:
* Parks car
* Hops out
* Realises he has parked in a wheelchair zone
* Hops in car and drives back a car park or two
* Police person pulls him over and books him for driving without a seatbelt
* Argues point "I was just getting away from the wheelchair park I accidentally parked in"
* Yeah I know, I was going to do you for that as well.

Susan B
26-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Oh boy, don't get me started on being pulled up by the cops..... I've lost count of the number of times they've tried it on me now. Don't know why they pick on me either because unfortunately I look and generally act (when sober) as "sensible" as the reputation I've got. :-(

This time last year I was pulled over by a couple of cop tarts after delivering a Xmas card to a friend's letterbox. They saw me coming towards them and the next time they looked I was driving away, to their mind suspiciously as if I was trying to avoid them. They gave chase and frightened the chickens out of me when they pulled up behind when I expected them to go flying past after somebody else. At least the chicks had the grace to confess that they were trying to find someone and thought I was their target. Ha. Even so, they still put me thru the works just for the sake of it.

As for writing a "nice letter" to the boss by all means do so but don't expect to gain any satisfaction from it.

A couple of years ago we were towing a horse float along a straight stretch of open road that had a no-overtaking section along one part. Travelling at around 70km/hr, still getting up to speed after having stopped at an intersection, I couldn't believe my eyes when a cop car full of people swung out and zoomed past us on the yellow no-passing line!! The view ahead was limited to less than 30 metres and they were extremely lucky that no other vehicle was coming the other way. I still cringe when I think what a mess it would have made had they had a collision, what with our horse float and its heavy contents being involved as well. Definitely curtains for us I know.

Outraged, I wrote to the police department with the cop's registration number along with all the details and got a phone call a few days later. They offered an apology and explanation of what the cop was doing (transporting "clients" from Timaru to ChCh) and said that the driver had been spoken to but that was all that could be done. There was going to be no punishment, no formal reprimand, no nothing and then they had the cheek to ask if I was happy with that. Well, hardly!! The least they could do was sting him for a large fine to be paid to me as compensation for the huge fright I got!!!

What with that and many other negative experiences with cops that I have had it is no wonder I've got little faith in the police these days. And just for the record the only fine I have ever had was a parking ticket when I was 16 -- thanks to my irresistible charm. ;-) :D

agent
26-11-2003, 04:47 PM
Well, it sounds like I've got a long way to go in terms of run-ins with the police...

Homer Simpson
26-11-2003, 05:15 PM
The only reasons I can think of for this kind of 'policing' (a synonym for harassment) are incompetence or that he was trying it on. Either alternative is bad when a good driving record, demerit points and a fine are at risk for an innocent person.

And the police wonder why they are alienating the general public. Their image is more akin to the police force in Springfield than a modern, just and competent public service.

If they have time to set up this kind of speed trap in fine weather, after kids have gone to school, and when law-abiding motorists are on the road and the hoons are asleep, then obviously they don't need the increased numbers they keep wanting us to pay the taxes for.

When the police are given more powers, their supporters (decreasing in number) say "if you're obeying the law you have nothing to fear". The messages in this thread demonstrate that isn't the case.

somebody
26-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Fair enough. But it's worth trying. Eventually someone will pick up on this fact, whether it be the opposition party in government, or Paul Holmes, either way if there are enough complaints, something will happen... eventually.

TonyF
26-11-2003, 05:29 PM
Strange that us old fogies never seem to get pulled over................(g)

somebody
26-11-2003, 05:33 PM
> Outraged, I wrote to the police department with the
> cop's registration number along with all the details
> and got a phone call a few days later. They offered
> an apology and explanation of what the cop was doing
> (transporting "clients" from Timaru to ChCh) and said
> that the driver had been spoken to but that was all
> that could be done. There was going to be no
> punishment, no formal reprimand, no nothing and then
> they had the cheek to ask if I was happy with that.
> Well, hardly!! The least they could do was sting him
> for a large fine to be paid to me as compensation for
> the huge fright I got!!

It's like the officer who was caught by 2 speed cameras, off duty, who had his fine wiped. Something needs to be done - police officers are supposed to be setting a good example and follow the road rules. "Transporting clients" is not so important as to need to pass in a no-passing area. They should wait. If the "client" was having a heart attack, that's another matter altogether.

Anybody volunteer to run for prime minister to fix this mess??

Kame
26-11-2003, 05:54 PM
I vote The Terminator (Arnie)...

That way police will be equipped with standard issued Grenade Launchers, that'd be good.

I too have been cut off by the police, a two way lane, they decided to overtake me (no sirens on at all) so they drove alongside me, and if it wasn't for me slowing down, they would have had a head on collision with the cars coming towards them or taken the front of my car out.

Either way I was pissed off that I had got cut off by the police, I get annoyed when cut off by anyone, but the Police just really had me raging then. If I had done that on that straight expect them to pull me over... I would have if I was the police.

Susan B
26-11-2003, 06:06 PM
> police officers are supposed to be setting a good example and follow the road rules.

My point exactly, that is what got my feathers so ruffled. It was definitely a case of "do as I say, not as I do".

> "Transporting clients" is not so important as to need to pass in a no-passing area. They should wait.

I don't know why they had to mention what he was doing (transporting "clients"), but it makes it even more wrong that he broke the law. For one thing his "clients" had broken the law and were being punished but he wasn't. For another thing he totally abused a very responsible position -- he could easily have had an accident and killed all his passengers as well as us and the occupants of any oncoming vehicle.

> If the "client" was having a heart attack, that's another matter altogether.

No, there was absolutely no excuse at all for what he did. In those road conditions it was totally unforgivable, especially for a police officer.

Thomas
26-11-2003, 06:07 PM
Ah the joys of dealing with public servants.
When somebody comes up with the answer to being treated like this,by people whose wages we pay,let us know.

I should mention council staff are worse.

mikebartnz
26-11-2003, 06:40 PM
I made one cop look a complete dickhead the other day. He was into the numbers game and just pulling people up to check rego/warrant and liscence but where he was had yellow no parking lines so I pulled into a drive. Passed the spot about tem minutes later and he was gone.
This random pulling over of vehicles gives me the impression of what a police state is like.

Elephant
26-11-2003, 06:48 PM
I always like the, "Have you been drinking?" question from the Police.

I always answer, "Yes. Of course I have been drinking. If I didn't I'd probably die." Then go on to explain my 0530 coffee before work, 1000 coffee, 1200 coffee, 1500 coffee, 1700 coffee after dinner and also try to mention the water and orange juice I have had during the day. I need the water and orange juice to wash down the coffee. :-)

I like when it gets to Court too where the copper says, " I smelt Alcohol on his breath." Now none of us drinks pure Alcohol ( I hope ).
And the last time I had a sniff at PURE Alcohol ( at school ) I coudn't smell a thing.

The correct form of question should be, IMHO, "Have you partaken of any alcoholic based beverages in the last <time frame inserted here>

You can of course answer this with a yes assuming you aren't over the limit.

TonyF
26-11-2003, 06:48 PM
gives me the
> impression of what a police state is like.

Very few of our readers will have experienced a "police state". I guess Wairarapa does not qualify....

Winston001
26-11-2003, 06:53 PM
Hmmmm..... he said thoughtfully.

Since I respect PF1 members, I have to take these accounts at face value. At the same time I'm having trouble thinking why any police officer would indulge in such pointless and improper behaviour as various people describe.

Policemen are subject to the same variation in personality types as the rest of us. Nevertheless they should set a good example.

I strongly urge anybody having a doubtful experience to complain. Write to the District Manager. Or to the Police Complaints Authority. And carefully note names and numbers at the time.

It is easy to think that you are wasting your time - you are not. Policemen don't like jerks among them any more than the rest of us.

Cheers
Winston001

Billy T
26-11-2003, 07:01 PM
> Any chance that the food you eat can go into a
> fermentating process or is the digestive system too
> quick?
>
> Also what is it that they are checking for in your
> breath? I mean if it's the contents of what alcohol
> is made out of, then how can the test be accurate as
> alcohol can be made out of most common items we eat.

Hi Kame

No, your food doesn't ferment and produce alcohol, at least not sufficiently to figure in the scientific data or defence pleas on blood/breath alcohol charges.

When the Police are checking your breath they use one of three processes:

Chemical (The crystals that go green in the presence of alcohol) for "blow in the bag" testers. Specific to alcohol but not accepted as evidence in the courts. It is a screening process only and if you fail you go to a Police Station for an evidential breath test or a blood test.

Electro-Chemical (A fuel cell that produces an electrical output when alcohol is present) for the Alcotech "sniffer" used for roadside screening. If you fail the sniff, you have to blow into it and it gives a pass/fail result. Again specific to alcohol but still not accepted as evidence in the courts. A failed test moves you on to the Police station or booze bus.

Infrared Breath Analysis This is the "blow into the machine" test that prints out an evidential breath test card. The machine passes your breath sample through a heated chamber that has an infrared light source at one end and an infrared detector at the other. In simple terms, there is an optical filter in front of the detector cell that lets through only the wavelength of light corresponding to ethanol (alcohol).

The machine alternates between an filter that does not pass IR light in the ethanol band (to set a "no alcohol" baseline) and the ethanol filter. The difference between the two readings is converted to a breath alcohol reading in micrograms per litre of breath. The youth limit is 150 g/l (0.03 blood) and the adult is 400 g/l (0.08 blood).

The machines test "deep lung" or "alveolar" air where science would have it that there is a direct relationship between the proportion of alcohol (ethanol) on your breath and the proportion of alcohol in your blood. problem is, the proportion varies between individuals and between men and women.

The machines currently used in NZ are the French Seres 679T and the American Intoxilyzer 5000. Neither is fabulously reliable, but the most accurate is the Seres. You can inflate your breath alcohol reading by the way you blow (compresses more molecules of alcohol into the test chamber) or reduce your breath alcohol by hyperventilating before blowing.

The latter is not a reliable technique for avoiding conviction, it is better by far to not drink and drive AT ALL. You would not want to trust your license to either of these machines as they can also respond to a range of other substances. Unfortunately the output is considered conclusive and there is no realistic or reliable defence against a positive result. If in doubt, go for the blood test, it won't make matters worse and some subjects return results under the limit.

There is much much more to evidential breath testing technology, but this will do for starters

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
[pre][b]Oh yes, forgot to mention, the Intoxilyzer is very hi-tech,
it even has a Z80 microprocessor:p

agent
26-11-2003, 07:14 PM
I for one don't think I'll ever request a blood test, reason being I don't like the damned needles.

More to the point, I don't think I'll ever drink and drive, but obviously there's more to a positive result than the alcohol content of your breath.

Archibald
26-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Well while on the subject of the police, it seems that they may have a code, well at least in the town I used to live in. :O

I used to drink with a couple of the younger copers in a local bar. These boys would sometimes get hammered (as you do) and sometimes they would jump in their cars and drive (as some do). They would be pulled over by their, on duty working buddies. They would be taken home by their, on duty buddies and end of story. This was common knowledge.

Also, with the volunteer fire brigade, oh yes these boys get away with it just the same. A girlfriend of mine has been the passenger in the car with a volunteer fireman (more than once), fireman being well and truly over the legal limit and being the driver. Gets pulled over by local policeman, asks passenger (a girlfriend) to drive the, over the limit fireman home. And again end of story.

I used to work with a couple of these volunteer firemen (the younger ones), and they used to brag about being pulled up being over the limit and then being sent on their very merry way. Once again end of story.

They used to brag about hearing their names on the police frequency in their cars "no thats so n so's (no names) car, let them go".

I hate corruption and our society is full of corruption. Its not just the police force, it goes further than that.

I better stop telling tales now before I get my door kicked in. :(

Gordon.
27-11-2003, 07:00 AM
It used to be that a Police Officer could pull you over and search your car with a warrant if there was reasonable cause to beleive that you had drugs on you or in your car. Whether this policy would also apply to the Highway Patrol I cannot comment on. At any other time, a search as far I can remember required a warrant.

Here you just wind the window down and offer a donation to the police officers fund..........

caffy
27-11-2003, 08:38 AM
Its interesting to see that police officers have a certain number of tickets they must issue per day (or similar to that).

I have heard of many occasions where my deaf friends have been pulled over in random. The police officer walks up to the car and starts talking. My deaf friends sign to the officer "I'm Deaf" and the officer simply says "oh, never mind, go on" (or words to that effect).

Police officers certainly aren't doing a good job if they pull over people and can't be bothered to attempt to communicate with the deaf people. it would be a bad look for the police if the deaf people pulled over and let go were actually drunk, or had been speeding etc.

MrBeef
27-11-2003, 09:16 AM
One night after fishing we're coming along a road and this cop was sitting on a side road, and as soon as we passed that road the cop pulled out and followed us to SH 1, where then cause of lots of Fishing gear in the back we think that the headlights on dip were blinding lots of traffic and they were flashing their lights at us. Plus our mate has some bloody bright headlights. So this cop put his lights on, no sound and over took us then pulled over about 10 secs later indicating for us to pull over, my mate kept going past but then the cop moved up and my mate slowed down and pulled. Now my mates car has got 2 orange lights under the bonnet (he may have been inspecting that)

The cop asked my mate if he had flashed his headlights when he passed, of course my mate replied no. And then the cop goes on about how they are bright and need to be checked again (my mate just got a warrant which he told the cop). My mate continued to say that there was a lot of weight in the back because we had just been fishing, and then the cop put his torch (which looked kinda flash (i want one)) on me (probably reckoned i was quite big). But yes it was 11 pm at night when the Highway Patrol cars knock off.

But my mates headlights you could go bloody possum shooting with them.

-=JM=-
27-11-2003, 09:38 AM
How is it different to any other "work perk"?

Megaman
25-12-2003, 02:50 PM
>If the "client" was having a heart attack
then they should be in an ambulance with trained experts.

someone should email this thread to the police.

it might bring them out of "sleep mode"

Mike
25-12-2003, 03:40 PM
> "Lively" driving would be a godsend here in Tauranga
>
> Most of the driving here could be considered deatlhy
> ... except for those on their $10,000 mobility
> scooters who shoot out across the rooad without
> looking first!

You obviously live in the same town as me :D ;)

Mike.

Mike
25-12-2003, 03:59 PM
> I should mention council staff are worse.

:( no we're not :_|

Mike.

Greg S
25-12-2003, 08:20 PM
Great thread this.

I've been abused by the damn police a couple of times. Also my brother's a lawyer and he's told me some really lousy cases of police misusing their authority.

But I did have one pleasant encounter... I was followed by an unmarked car who lasered me travelling about 10kph over the speed limit. Pulls me over and asked did I realise I was speeding. I said yes. He asks is there a reason for this? I say yes, but not a very good one :( [I didn't want my KFC to get cold, and I like driving fast, not that I mentioned it!]. He evidently liked my honesty and lets me off without a fine :D

csinclair83
25-12-2003, 10:45 PM
a mate of mine got pulled over earlier tonight, and apparently they just asked him "how long have you been driving" he said something like just 15 to 20 mins, then they asked for his mobile phone and checked his "recent calls" list, and found he made a call 10 mins ago...which means he was in the car while making the call..
they just told him that next time to stop the car when making a call or just dont use cellphone till get home..
he asked, how did u know i didnt stop, apparently they been following him for the whole time....

seems like they getting strict on some things and letting others go like me yesterday riding on footpath with no helmet and 4 cops just walked right past me, like a arms length away...

Just be lucky theres been no fines dished out :-)

Jeff
26-12-2003, 08:07 PM
The Police find it easier to catch the law abidding than the law breakers. The law abidding don't run away.

You also have to remember that a person with a descent IQ knows that there are plenty of other jobs that pay alot better that the Police, so don't expect their ranks to be filled with the best and brightest.

flying_green_leprachaun
26-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Greg S
27-12-2003, 08:44 AM
Indeed! There's the Police Complaints Authority, and the Ombudsman, but they're generally too little too late

Scouse
27-12-2003, 10:09 AM
Hoo Boy! Did this posting bring out the whingers, moaners and general arse scratchers, or did it not. Little extracts include "some years ago", "my brother-in-law told me", "my friend told me" and so on. Even one who had been told by a solicitor - so it must be true. (I seem to see more solicitors convicted of ripping people off than I see cops.) One guy even mentioned that the innocently driven car does 200 kph on forest roads. Your average citizen? Simple rule if you think that you're hard done by. Go home, change your undies, and write to the cop's boss.
You can ready read similar - possibly identical - stories on other sites, generally classed as urban myths. Have a nice holiday and watch out for the guys and gals in blue who have worked right through in an often futile endeavour to make yours safe from half-wits. I read that they now have anew fleet of plain clars. They should generate a few stories.

JJJJJ
27-12-2003, 10:40 AM
Just a word from a very experienced "pulled overee".
Even if you are pulled over for a very minor offence AGREE with everything the cop says. They like that. If you argue or abuse him/her you can bet your life you'll get a ticket even if they have to dream up a reason for giving it. Strange as it may sound some of them actualy think they are helping you by stopping you and giving advice. If you thank them for their advice they will be happy and leave you without a ticket.
DON'T EVER tell them that you have been driving since before their father was born and you know more than any pimply faced kid in a fancy uniform. It dosen't work. I KNOW !
Something else that doesn't work. Don't sat they are a bloody liar and that you will see them in court and if they repeat their claims there you will accuse them of commiting perjury. I know this!
My only recent success was when I was pulled up for going to fast arond a roundabout. I asked him what the speed limit was and of course he couldn't answer. So I told him it was 50 k's the same as the rest of the street. He mumbled away to himself and left.celebrated by hitting the next roundabout at 60k's Stupid I know

Billy T
28-12-2003, 08:01 PM
Over the last 14 days or so I completed nearly 2000 k's of city, suburban, urban and country driving in a bog-standard family station wagon, plus a few tens of k's on a bicycle. I observed the road rules and speed limits (within the usual tolerance levels) wore seatbelts or a cycle helmet as necessary, saw heaps of patrol cars and radar sites but didn't get stopped or flashed once.

What did I do wrong?:D

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)
I don't really hold with "stopped for no reason" stories
as there is always something that draws attention
to a vehicle, be it driving style or vehicle/driver profile, though
I do accept that innocent drivers can get pulled over if
the police are looking for a vehicle by description.
I must confess that I was no angel myself in years
gone by, but have only been stopped three or four
times in nearly 40 years and a million+ K's of motoring.
Most of those were in my younger days when I thoroughly
deserved it :8}, and once in the last 10 years when I just
got careless.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
28-12-2003, 08:59 PM
I see a couple of people throwing around this whole "heart-attack" idea a bit.

Just for informations sake, despite what is seen on TV, ambulances rarely drive to the hospital with their priority lights on. As with most emergency services there are strict governances about when lights and/or siren can be used, and mostly they are only used on the way to a job, and even then only if the job fits certain criteria.

Very rarely is a patient transported under lights to a hospital - in 2 years as a Paramedic I've done this 4 times, three times the patient was being resusucitated en route. Most of the time trips to hospital are under normal driving conditions.

As also mentioned, someone having a heart attack would normally be in specialist care, not a police car.

There are big issue with the way many in the police service handle themselves, however they do perform a job that most people wouldn't like to do. Much of the time it's a big hats off to the majority of them, there a few that spoil it, but that'll happen in any organisation.