PDA

View Full Version : Connect Speakers to PS2

jasezone
26-11-2003, 11:59 AM
Hello,
Could you please tell me whether it is possible to connect a logitech Z-340 speaker system directly to a Playstation2. The speakers have a male 3.5mm plug coming out of them while the playstation has 2 male RCA plugs (left and right audio). Is there such a thing that would connect these two together. I searched on dse.co.nz but couldn't find such a product.
Thanks for any help.
Jason

godfather
26-11-2003, 12:25 PM
DSE components

Use a standard P6567 RCA female - RCA femate gender changer
Use a standard P6602 3.5 stereo socket - 3.5 stereo socket gender changer

Now you have a 3.5 mm stereo socket at the speaker end of the cable, and 2 RCA sockets at the PS2 end.

Buy a cable 3.5 stereo male - RCA male (coomonly available at DSE, try C1240)

The above has been taken literally from you post regarding plug and socket types. Its possible that 1 cable on its own with RCA x 2 female to 3.5 mm stereo female would do the whole job, but its an unusual combination and not likely to be an on the shelf item.

You need to be clear about the polatites (male or female) of each plug plus type.
Draw it out and take it into DSE, to make sure you get what you need.

I assume the line levels will be the same PS2 out to Amplified Speakers in.

Kame
26-11-2003, 12:30 PM
I'm saying it's not possible, but I'm just wondering if the Logitech Z-340 has an amplifier or not. I don't think the PS2 has enough drive to power the speakers without an amp, so does the speakers have it's own amp, usually if it has a volume control on the speakers suggests it has. If they are just standalones they probably rely on the soundcard (whether these speakers are for computer or not I have no idea).

jasezone
26-11-2003, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the explanation godfather. I never thought of using mutiple connectors (duh!). Yes the speakers do have an amp inside the sub box. Its not the greatest but the speakers will be fine for what I want them to do.