PDA

View Full Version : question about 98 security

phylip
25-11-2003, 10:50 AM
i have just finnished fixing a friends modem
someone in their family had got in and changed everything they could in the controlpanel
is there a way i can hide things in the control panel like network systems and modem configuration
basically all id like them to be able to access in there is add/remove programs and visual settings
they are running win 98 se
thanks

Babe Ruth
25-11-2003, 11:08 AM
phylip,

Download Tweakui v1.33 available from Here (http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp) or on PCWorld cover discs.

Install Tweakui then run it. On the tab labelled Control Panel you can set or hide those applets in Control Panel. Note the CPL files still exist and can be run separately but it might at least slow someone down.

Take note of some of the other features available from within TweakUI.

Other froum members may have further ideas for you.

Cheers, Babe.

cyberchuck
25-11-2003, 09:04 PM
http://www.winguides.com/registry/ - Registry Tweaks :D. That's what our school uses and they've managed to get everything knuckled down pretty well..

You can either download the RegistryGuide or just browse the masses of pages on their website, and most things overlap into different categories so you can end up with several fixes/tweaks/etc for one problem - just keep reminding yourself that your aim is to block access to the Control Panel, not to secure their computer against them as much as possible :p.

CyberChuck

agent
25-11-2003, 09:40 PM
Don't forget that no amount of security and locking down will stop someone who is determined to do something (just as in the case of our school ;)).

Chilling_Silently
25-11-2003, 09:59 PM
WinGuard Basic will do what you're after.

We use it at the CyberCafe, and they also use it at Warp9 in New Lynn in Aucks IIRC too :-)

Great software.
Email me if you cant find it, or if it doesnt work 100% (I had issues with this newer version)
Chilling_Silence [at] orcon [dot] net [dot] nz

:-)

Google should turn it up for you.