PDA

View Full Version : wireless network help

zip1nz
23-11-2003, 12:21 PM
I am setting up a wireless network and need a bit of help.
2 comps running windows Me

1st question , what sort of gable do I need to connect the wireless adaptor to the network card in no1 pc.

Standard network cable or a crossover cable

happy to answer any questions on machine specs but wont list them unless I have to. Cheers

zip1nz
23-11-2003, 12:23 PM
sorry it is of course cable not gable opps

godfather
23-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Good question.

On the basis that my Air Point (and I assume this is what you mean by "a wireless adapter") connects to my hub using a straight thru cable, you would assume that to operate directly out of the PC would use a cross-over.

Most people use AP's as an add on to an existing network, so the question doesn't arise.

If buying the cable, get it from Dick Smith, then you can change it if it's the wrong one.

zip1nz
23-11-2003, 12:59 PM
gf hoped you were about 2day.
I have both cables here and have tried both . the next problem occurs with both cables but when I use the crossover cable the link light on my airport as you call it (D link Dwa-1000ap) lights up ans stays lit upon plugging into network vard. I am assuming this is the right cable.

Next question. using the Ap managemwnt software provided when I try to set up a network, using any of the mac addresses and ip address i come up with the comp replies that it cannot connect as the ip address may already be in use.

Again i will answer any specs but not sure what you will want so ask away. Thanks

godfather
23-11-2003, 01:06 PM
You need to manage you IP addresses.

I use my Router to assign the network IP addresses and set everything else to obtain one from it. The AP will have an IP address allocated I assume, but its invisible, you only "see" the remote PC and not the wireless device(s) on the network.

I can't remember ME setup, but to be safe just allocate them yourself, surely there is some documentation?.

Cross over cable sounds the correct one.

You should only be dealing with one mac address though surely?
In mine I have specified the mac address of the laptop adapter, the only wireless remote device.
Everything else is hard wired and not on the wireless network.

My AP is a Belkin. It was a matter of plugging it in, and it worked. I limited the connection to the one mac address for security.

zip1nz
23-11-2003, 02:32 PM
the documentation is very limitedand I am not sure how IP address work maybe I need to do some more homework on them.

There is a mac address on the AP and on the other reciever I have. But the computer will not accept the IP address I allocate them when trying to set up the network.

maybe you could point me to a site where i can get some networking tips and basiscs etc thanks for your help

Graham L
23-11-2003, 02:42 PM
You should use non-routing IP addresses: probably 192.168.xxx.yyy, where you make an arbitrary choice for xxx which is the same for all your machines and pick numbers--- unique for each of your machines --- for yyy. (xxx and yyy must be in the range 1 .. 254). The MAC numbers are handled by the ARP protocol, and should only be needed to be entered manually for security reasons. Get it going without specifying MAC numbers. Then get the security set up. :D

What is the make and model of the AP? That is really essential information. ;-)

Graham L
23-11-2003, 03:17 PM
If your documentation is poor, have a look at these manulas, which look reasonably informative (for DSE products). an AP (http://www.dse.co.nz/isroot/dse/support/XH7988_manual.pdf), and A PC card (http://www.dse.co.nz/isroot/dse/support/XH1152_manual.pdf). The remarks on IP address and the other setup information will be pretty standard between brands.