PDA

View Full Version : kazaa lite++

yingxuan
23-11-2003, 06:46 AM
Hi
There's some featuers in kazaa lite.What does kazsuper nodes do?Whats k-sig?

cyberchuck
25-11-2003, 08:34 PM
A supernode is practically a server version of Kazaa for others to connect to...
In essence it's kind've like this little ASCII drawing I'm going to attempt (mainly because I'm in the mood for something different)..

User with kazaa -----|
User with kazaa -----|---Kazaa Supernode --- Some Kazaa Master Server
User with kazaa -----| | |
| |
User with kazaa -----|---Kazaa Supernode --|
User with kazaa -----|
How it works is that users connect to their local supernode and uploads their current share list, so the supernode holds the all the information. It also gains a "Supernode list" from some server somewhere and holds that as well.
Now, when you search for the latest and greatest Matrix Revolutions trailer, the supernode will search it's list of files, and if it doesn't have your file, it will go to other supernodes near where it and you are located (the idea of putting your location in Kazaa of course)...

IIRC (haven't used Kazaa for a loooong time now), k-sig practically works like an MD5 Summer and makes sure that the signature of the file you get downloaded is the same as the one that you were downloading - in other words it checks that your download hasn't corrupted on its way in.

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
25-11-2003, 08:35 PM
A supernode is practically a server version of Kazaa for others to connect to...
In essence it's kind've like this little ASCII drawing I'm going to attempt (mainly because I'm in the mood for something different)..

User with kazaa -----|
User with kazaa -----|---Kazaa Supernode --- Some Kazaa Master Server
| |
User with kazaa -----|---Kazaa Supernode --------------|
User with kazaa -----|
How it works is that users connect to their local supernode and uploads their current share list, so the supernode holds the all the information. It also gains a "Supernode list" from some server somewhere and holds that as well.
Now, when you search for the latest and greatest Matrix Revolutions trailer, the supernode will search it's list of files, and if it doesn't have your file, it will go to other supernodes near where it and you are located (the idea of putting your location in Kazaa of course)...

IIRC (haven't used Kazaa for a loooong time now), k-sig practically works like an MD5 Summer and makes sure that the signature of the file you get downloaded is the same as the one that you were downloading - in other words it checks that your download hasn't corrupted on its way in.

CyberChuck

yingxuan
26-11-2003, 06:43 AM
thanks for the explanation

Greg S
26-11-2003, 11:15 AM
I recommend you don't enable that feature, unless you're particularly generous with your bandwidth