PDA

View Full Version : TV Tuner Card

Mike-Y
22-11-2003, 07:29 AM
Hi all. I would like some advice please for a good tv tuner card -have pc running winxp.

robo
22-11-2003, 07:51 AM
Consider the resolution you want to get, and what control you have over recording methods (ie what you store the data as). Most are generic with a standard interface, so you might want to pick the software first.
I used Snapstream for a while, haven't used anything for ages.
robo.

ilikelinux
22-11-2003, 08:03 AM
it also depends if you just want to capture or actually watch tv on your computer.

robo
22-11-2003, 08:40 AM
Um, yes, didn't occur to me that capture wasn't the reason. Oops.
robo.

Chilling_Silently
22-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Most cards nowadays will perform well, my PixelView Play/TV Pro card did...

It depends on the software you use too, and obviosly the codec you use to save video with...

Have a look through Pricespy.co.nz for a retailer near you, and ask us if the card you're looking at is any good, that's probably an easier thing to do than have us list all the TV-Tuners specs :p

Hope this helps

Chill.

Spacemannz
22-11-2003, 09:51 AM
I got a Winfast/Leadtek tuner a few weeks ago. It wasnt too bad for 130. Came with Ulead Videostudio and DVD Moviefactory.

It is also an FM tuner. The software that came with it, lets you record to hard drive, straight from TV. Saves the TV programs as mpeg. Then you can burn them to cdr/DVD. It also comes with a remote control, (there's a remote socket on the tuner).

And it comes with a sticky dot thing, so I've just stuck the remote sensor on the bottom / front of my monitor, the cables to connect to sound/external video. Easy to install the PCI card / drivers etc. There is also a internal cable that connects to either the AUX or cd in on the motherboard. For the sound. Saves you plugging cables in the back of the case, to get the sound going.

Mike-Y
22-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Thankyou for your responses. Yes I do want to both watch and capture. I have read several reviews about Pinnacle Pro which sound good too so may get that one. Anyone got that particular card? Thanks again
M

alejate
22-11-2003, 01:35 PM
Hey Spacemannz is that a Leadtek WinFast TV2000ZP video capture card you're using? Cheers.

ilikelinux
22-11-2003, 02:41 PM
the pinnacle pro is probably just a capture thing. you can still watch on it, but you can not change channels. for acually changeing channels and stuff you will need a propper "Tv tuner card" or have a vcr next to your computer and change channels through that.

Pete O\'Neil
22-11-2003, 03:10 PM
i have a Pinnacle tv tuner/video capture card, not the one your talking about but the one i have is the biggest peice of %$#. So far its corrupted two harddrives and Pinnacle offer apauling driver support.

Spacemannz
22-11-2003, 09:33 PM
Yup its the Winfast XP2000 deluxe version Alejate

This WinFast PVR/WinFast FM. Comes with Teletext too