PDA

View Full Version : RIP two CPUs

Finerd
21-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Hi all i need some advice
hear 's the story
I just brought a 1.4Ghz Duron

So i pulled out my old 1.1Ghz Duron and stuck in the 1.4,strapped on the heat sink and flicked the switch.
Powers up but nothing on screen.
I remembered they run on 133Mhz FSB so i switched the jumper and flicked on the switch.
Powered up,nothing on screen.
So i figured perhaps i hav to update bios since its a pretty new CPU.
i put my old 1.1 back in and guess wot nothing happened.
so i put the 1.4 back in the the video Bios came up on screen then halted.
so back in goes the 1.1, nothing.
in goes the 1.4 and it at this stage had no heatsink on it, it got super hot after like 2 seconds.(started smoking the bit of thermal pad left on it and burnt me)
so in goes the 1.1ghz again and it doesnt even get warm.

i finaly remembered that i have L-bracket 4 LEDs which help trouble shoot problems and for both CPUs they are all red which means
-Damaged CPU or not install propery

so is my motherboard frying my CPUs?

so what i really want to know is do i need a New CPU or
both CPU & new MotherBoard?

i want to burrow someones CPU to try it but im afraid that it will fry it

wuppo
21-11-2003, 04:07 PM
It's not impossible that the mobo destroys cpus but reasonably unlikely. More common reasons are: incomplete seating of the CPU (some contacts not making in the socket) and lack of cooling (as you found out the hard way).

Did you put your fsb back to 100Mhz for the Duron 1.1 ?

wuppo
21-11-2003, 04:14 PM
The above is assuming that the mobo supports the cpu that you are trying to install. Often faster chips require a lower voltage, and therefore the mobo has to be able to recognise the cpu and adjust accordingly. :|

aroc
21-11-2003, 04:28 PM
You have some thermal compound or thermal pad on both cpus before you put the heatsink on right? I would check the heatsink is completely level before turing the thing on.

When you bought the 1.4Ghz did you get a new heatsink?? Because the one on the 1.1 might not be quite good enough for the 1.4.

Check in the motherboard manual to see if there is a jumper you can change to lower/increase the FSB to the correct frequency.

Can we have the motherboard model #? As you've said I would have updated the bios before installing the new CPU as it would have the support for the new chip. At present the motherboard probably can't recognise anything over the 1.1 or something.

Terry Porritt
21-11-2003, 05:04 PM
My advice is to read the manuals, read the info on the AMD site about installing cpus, and their strict instructions NOT to run without a heatsink. They say it will fry before you can blink an eye.

Anyway, you have learned from experience not to do it again, and to always RTFM?????????????

segfault
21-11-2003, 06:18 PM
Well it sounds like you've fried the Duron 1.4.

Archibald
21-11-2003, 06:29 PM
You may have toasted the motherboard aswell as your 1.4 .

Finerd
22-11-2003, 04:44 PM
lol
Thanks guys

Not to worry i needed a upgrade so its bout time i dipped into the savings

interesting about the"fry in a blink of a eye" i'll b more carefull next time

Thanks alot