PDA

View Full Version : What should i use to download mp3's?

chev
19-11-2003, 04:24 PM
I havea new system and want to start downloading some mp3's. But i dont really want the ads or any of that spyware business. what are the best download programs to get, ive tried the new kazaa but that just causes errors and causes my computer to hang.

Chilling_Silently
19-11-2003, 04:52 PM
hi Evan,

First off, this is not really the place to be asking, read the thread at the top labbel "Rule, please read"

Next, try google.

Dont use KaZaA either... there are better "open-source" alternatives.

Try p2p.net.nz

Hope this helps

Chill.

Greg S
19-11-2003, 05:04 PM
I recommend Kazaa Lite - it's spyware free.

For a newbie the local NZ P2P programmes aren't quite as user-friendly, and many file sharers locally take exception if you download without sharing vast volumes of stuff yourself. Kazaa Lite is great because you can download the same file simultaneously frommany sharers at the same time, and reduce the risk of your download being cancelled by a single user.

Just beware that you need to configure your Kazaa lite carefully, so as not to inhibit your download speeds

-=JM=-
19-11-2003, 05:42 PM
iTunes. Should be available at apple.com

Martina
19-11-2003, 05:55 PM
There seem to be lots of downloads available below without using p-to-p software. Beware tho', a search sometimes throws up a link you won't want. You can access without searching - it just takes a little longer.

http://www.dutchtop40.net/latestmp3.html

Baldy
19-11-2003, 07:52 PM
Downloading mp3s is theft

PoWa
19-11-2003, 08:10 PM
> Downloading mp3s is theft

Not always. But good one, start a flame war. Besides your preaching up the wrong alley - nobody gives a damn.

Otago_Jas
19-11-2003, 08:13 PM
downloading SOME MP3s is theft, however there are artists who release their music on the web for free. It isn't helpful to a new user to throw that kind of broad generalization at them.

Look around and you can find free mp3s on the web without resorting to illegal file sharing.

nadius
19-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Napster.

It's legal. $US1 or !US10 per album. can preview 30 seconds of song before you download.

Why pay? Because you want a product. You pay for dinner at a restaurant don't you?

Chilling_Silently
19-11-2003, 08:24 PM
http://www.amplifier.co.nz

Just up tonight apparently...? I saw it on the News.. Looks good :-)

PoWa
19-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Theft could be defined as a situation where a monetary loss has occurred and can be measured, or taking something from another that does not rightly belong to them.

In this case if someone would have not paid for the music in the first place, then the record company nor anyone else has not lost any money, or anything for that matter, because the person that downloaded the music was not intending to spend any money on the music in the first place. No loss of anything has occurred.

When downloading music you are also not permanently taking anything away from anyone, you are just getting a copy. Everyone else still has their version including the record companies. So no-one has robbed anyone of anything because they still have their music.

Whats to say I could invent a supercomputer and get it to generate all the possible combinations of 1's and 0's to make every imaginable piece of music ever possible. Who says they can then copyright one of those combinations.

Baldy
19-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Well PIRACY then

-=JM=-
19-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Yes we know PoWa. Just let it drop. In the main part it is considered theft though, which this forum isn't the place to discuss it.

Yeah iTunes, Amplifier.co.nz (been up for a while) will let you purchase music for download, much rather spend the extra on the CD myself though.