PDA

View Full Version : my computer is making funny sounds........

agent_24
18-11-2003, 08:32 PM
every so often my computer makes the little 'click - whiss' sound of the shutdown (when the screen goes black) and nothing much happens except that sometimes some apps freeze for a few seconds and then everything goes normal. i have xp, and this has just been happening recently. does anyone know what this is????

mejobloggs
18-11-2003, 09:40 PM
Ha! you are lucky, mine does that click whiss thing a couple of times a day, except my computer does restart.

Do you happen to have a creative soundcard perhaps?

agent_24
27-11-2003, 10:16 PM
no, sorry i dont have a creative soundcard, but after disabling 32 bit transfer mode for the harddrive, the thing seems to have stopped!, but i think i can help you with your problem, though. (i take it you have XP). right click on my computer, and choose properties. go to the advanced tab and choose the startup and recovery thing. on the bottom half of that dialoge shpuld be some stuff about system failures, and somewhere a checkbox that says "automatically restart". uncheck it if it is checked. click OK and OK and OK to get out of all those screens. use your computer untill it makes the Click-whiss noise. instead of restarting, it should display a bluescreen error telling u that windows has been turned off (etc etc etc), and at the bottom somewhere should be something about whats causing that problem. if it is say, your videocard driver, i would suggest updating ur video drivers. it happened to me, i should know!. anyway, if you dont have XP or 2000 or NT or whatever, im sorry, but i cant help you.

somebody
28-11-2003, 09:08 AM
where does it sound like it's coming from? It could be a CD in the CD Drive, possibly the heads in the hard-drive going back into locking position. My computer "clicks" on bootup, and a friend told me that it was most likely the hard drive reading arm moving into place (going to far and hitting something).

agent_24
13-12-2003, 05:40 PM
yeah, i think its the harddrive, as my harddrive seems to be dying and not booting half the time.....

Misty
15-12-2003, 08:38 PM
Hi Agent
I am a novice really - however what may help is that in the March 2003 PC World disc there is a summary of four harddiscsounds. If you have a listen to these may help ?
Misty

Stryker
16-12-2003, 12:01 AM
You say:
> every so often my computer makes the little 'click -
> whiss' sound of the shutdown (when the screen goes
> black)

What do you mean by this? Like youve put the system in standby or something?

Could it be a Power Supply issue?

Perhaps check your power settings to your computer:
Control Pannel/Power Options/ and check that your HDD(s) and or Monitor are not going to sleep, given a time delay.

agent_24
02-01-2004, 10:16 PM
ive found out the problem. the power splitter i use for HDD and Floppy has broken conductors inside the insulation, so sometimes the HDD gets power, sometimes it doesnt. this was fixed simply with a new splitter.