PDA

View Full Version : virtual CD

Megaman
18-11-2003, 07:01 PM
is there a free application that copys cds to the hd? i tryed it manually with no success. even a demo is good.

Peter H
18-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Do a search on google for "virtual drive" Bottom of first page is what you want.
Bye

godfather
18-11-2003, 07:44 PM
The December edition of PC User magazine has a "full version" of Paragon CD Rom Emulator 2.5 on the cover disk.

The December edition will probably not be here just yet, but I bought it at a newstand in Sydney on 12 November...

Normally US$30, yours for the price of the magazine NZ$8.50, at a bookstore near you soon.

-=JM=-
18-11-2003, 08:16 PM
Your CD Burning program of choice should be able to do it. Nero/CloneCD do anyway.

peter.jonsson
18-11-2003, 08:55 PM
Try Daemon tools or Alcohol, both will do the job!

Megaman
19-11-2003, 02:48 PM
> Your CD Burning program of choice should be able to
> do it. Nero/CloneCD do anyway.

i wish i had a cd-rw. justa cheap 52 cd-rom. i want to save my disks from the evil smasher

Graham L
19-11-2003, 03:48 PM
And Alcohol-52 is on the CD with the December Australian PC magazine. Bought mine yesterday. (Of course 2 commands in Linux does the same :D)

Chilling_Silently
19-11-2003, 05:57 PM
> And Alcohol-52 is on the CD with the December
> Australian PC magazine. Bought mine
> yesterday. (Of course 2 commands in Linux does the
> same :D)

:D
Its such a shame doze doesnt do that... ;-)

Graham>
When using dd, does this do copy protection or not? Im guessing not....

Graham L
20-11-2003, 02:47 PM
And of course it's the November issue of APC. It has the full version of Alcohol 52 completely free (requires a registration with APC's site) , and a demo version of Alcohol 120 (which does writing CDs).

I don't know about copy protection, but dd if=/dev/cdrom of=abigfile.img creates an image which can be mounted using the loopback fs to make a fully usable HD version, or can be used with cdrecord -v dev=0,x,0 abigfile.img to make an identical CD. I assume it will ignore the content ... including any copy protection nonsense which doesn't rely on anything but unreadable blocks.

Chilling_Silently
20-11-2003, 03:09 PM
I know how to use DD.. dont actually have a CD-ROM ATM, so cant do anything but mount an Unreal Tournament ISO I've got (Which doesnt need mounting now I've installed the game in Linux).

Ive made ISO's in Linux before, works well :-)
I think I'll look into a way of making it note down the copy-protection... Its gotta be possible... Even if I have to made images using Alcohol 120% (in MDS format, which works well.. Ive mounted a DVD image which was in a .MDS file in Linux!).

Thanks, and Congrats on the big 4K!

Chill.