PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Networking Gurus!

Chemical Ali
17-11-2003, 11:44 PM
I currently have 3 PCs networked after using the Win XP Networking Wizard.
I am able to access the intrenet, share printers, drives, files etc but there are some problems with PCs 2 & 3 unable to view each other via "My Network Places" and "Windows Explorer" continually 'crashing' when examining "My Network Places" for example.

PCs 1 & 2 are running Win XP Pro and PC 3 is running Win 98SE.
Each PC has a network card installed and all link via cable to a network switch. My main PC (running XP Pro) also has a D-Link DE-528 Ethernet PCI card installed for cable modem access via TelstraClear.

I have just been reading up on TCP/IP protocols and networks in a couple of PC magazines and after examining my own connections I'm left wondering if things could be a little better set up etc.
For example my IP addresses across the network aren't consecutive and I seem to have a multitude of devices and network adaptors displaying in "Device Manager" and (under properties) in "My Network Places".

Running IPCONFIG on each machine brings up the following Info:

PC1: (with cable modem PCI card)
Ethernet Adaptor Network Bridge [Network Bridge]2:
Connection specific DNS suffix:
IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway:

Ethernet Adaptor Local Area Connection:
Connection specific DNS suffix:
IP Address: 202.0.36.27
Default Gateway:202.0.36.1

PC2:
Ethernet Adaptor Local Area Connection:
Connection specific DNS suffix: mshome.net
IP Address: 192.168.0.155
Default Gateway:192.168.0.1

PC3:
Ethernet Adaptor 0:
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway:

Ethernet Adaptor 1:
IP Address: 192.168.0.60
Default Gateway:192.168.0.1

In My Network Places each PC shows up multiple network/internet connections as well!

PC1 displays 4 connections -- 1 under the heading "LAN/High Speed Internet" and 3 under the heading "Network Bridge".
PC2 displays 1 under the heading "Internet Gateway" and 2 under the heading "LAN or High Speed Internet".
PC3 runs Win98SE so was unable to bring up the equivalent info.

Furthermore, each PC shows up varying network adaptors under "Device Manager"

PC1 displays 4 network adaptors:
1394 net adaptor
D-Link DE528 ethernet PCI adaptor
MAC bridge miniport
Realtek RTL8139 PCI fast ethernet NIC # 2

PC2 displays 2 network adaptors:
1394 net adaptor
Realtek RTL8139 PCI fast ethernet NIC

PC3 displays 2 network adaptors
Dial up adaptor
Realtek RTL8139/810X PCI fast ethernet NIC

So...........

What should I do??!
It would appear that I have too many connections created but how to clean up??!
Do I actually need 2 PCI cards in PC1 (i.e. the D-Link card and the network card)? -- I guess I do otherwise how can I connect to the internet and connect to the LAN via the Network Switch??
Should I just delete the lot and follow the networking FAQ on this site?

Am beginning to wonder if there's duplication of the network adaptor PCI cards (via driver installation) and that is what is causing the clutter??

Any input gratefully appreciated.

Many Thanks

:)

robo
18-11-2003, 05:31 AM
I would only use two ethernet cards in a PC where the PC was acting as a bridge (using old fashioned talk). That is, where it was taking traffic on one subnet and converting to another. It isn't always easy.

If you are just trying to access the internet on the second ethernet port, then I would consider plugging the cable modem as you call it into the ethernet hub (I am assuming any ADSL cable modem with an ethernet port is more accurately a router. If you do this and it works then you don't need two cards in PC1, and it doesn't need to be a bridge.

I would get all PCs to be on the same subnet (192.168.0.x). Being on the same subnet is fundamental to it working well. They should then all use the default gateway, being the IP address of the router.

Check if you can ping each machine by IP addresss and name. If not, consider adding entries in the hosts and lmhosts files (usually found in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc in XP). Check to see if that helps.

Not sure if you have local DNS and WINS services, if you do make sure the other PCs are accessing the local ones. Otherwise, you are probably getting these from your ISP. Your local DNS server would, anyway, when it doesn't know the answer (this might be your ADSL router).

I hope this helps to start with. The trick with TCP is to take it one step at a time. Changing a bunch of things at once can be fatal as half are right and half are wrong and it still doesn't work.
robo.

cyberchuck
18-11-2003, 05:58 AM
Like Robo said, make one machine the DNS Server (if they're running XP they should have this installed with ICS) and that means your requests aren't going to your ISP's DNS Servesr who obviously can't find your machines because they're on your network and not theirs - by the looks of it I'd suggest using PC 1 for this job.

Why have some high number for an IP Address, lower PC 2's IP down to 192.168.0.2 and have PC3 as 192.168.0.3. Also on PC2 remove the DNS Suffix as that can play havoc with networking - Control Panel > System > Name > and it's one of the options in there, someone with XP can probably give you more detailed advice.

Remove Dialup networking from PC3 as that's not needed considering you connect through the gateway, and you could possibly remove the unused NIC from PC2 which isn't bound to any IP Address at the moment.

PC1 should have 2 connections. One under LAN/High Speed internet and one under Network Bridge - you shouldn't need to have 3 bridges to a network IIRC...
PC2 should have 1 under Internet Gateway (which will be the bridge if I'm correct) and one under LAN or Highspeed internet which is the lan
As these 2 machines are running XP just rightclick on used connections and disable them.

That should fix it out

agent
18-11-2003, 06:57 AM
You've gone and mucked yourself up, Cyberchuck.

The 1394 net adapter, which would appear to be in both PC1 and PC2, does not seem as if it has any connections set up to be used over it. I'm assuming these are FireWire networking cards or something similar, otherwise I doubt the 1394 would be in there. They aren't doing any damage, and they don't have rogue connections (let alone any connections) being used over them, so might as well stay.

To remove your DNS suffix, right click on My Computer, go to the Computer Name tab, and click on the Change button. A new dialog pops up, and select the More... button. Clear the box labelled "Primary DNS suffix of this computer", and untick the checkbox below if it is ticked.

Another thing I've noticed is that the D-Link adapter used for your internet access says "PCI adapter", and while I'm not too knowledgeable in the area of broadband internet adapters, somehow I doubt you will be able to use a PCI adapter without it being in a computer. Unless of course this only acts as a "translator" of sorts between the computer and an actual external ADSL modem/router/switch.

Chilling_Silently
18-11-2003, 07:25 AM
Next time you post, try:
ipconfig /all

Next, Im assuming you have a PCI ADSL Modem in PC1 (That's the impression Im under).
Firstly, remove the bridge, you're not going to want them all on the same IP Range, be it 192.168.x.x or not. The PCI ADSL Modem needs an external IP and not something from a LAN Range.
Setup a Dial-Up networking connection to use it (Which Im assuming you've already done to get Net access) and enable ICS. This will set the first LAN card on the PC with the ADSL Modem to 192.168.0.1

Setup the other PC's to use that IP (192.168.0.1) as the Gateway and primary DNS, with 202.27.184.3 as secondary DNS.

You should only need one LAN card + the ADSL Modem in your "PC1" or Gateway PC.

Does this help?

Chill.

Chemical Ali
18-11-2003, 07:55 AM
Thanks all for the responses.
Sorry looks as though I need to clarify a couple of things.
1: My cable broadband connection is based around the D-Link ethernet card and a desktop (Com21) modem.
2: Yes I do have firewire ports via my Soundblaster Audigy card so I guess that would explain the '1394' entries under 'Network Adaptor' within 'Device Manager'.
3:The IP address 202.0.36.27 is the one I was provided with by my ISP in terms of my broadband connection.

Does this help??

Chemical Ali
18-11-2003, 08:11 AM
Furthermore I can ping each machine from each other machine (via Command Prompt) so I guess each PC can communicate with each other okay.
So would I be correct in assuming that
A: PC1 needs both the D-Link ethernet adaptor card and the Realtek network card?
B: That PC1 in effect has two IP addresses; one for internet access allocated from the ISP (202.0.36.27) and one for the LAN (192.168.0.1)?
C: That PC 2 & 3 would then use the 2nd IP address from PC1 as their default gateway address?
D: That I can delete the 'Dial Up Adaptor' listed under Device Manager on PC3 as I'm assuming that relates to a dial up modem connection and is there by default?
E: Why, after running the Win XP Networking wizard can't I see a shared folder displayed for PC2 when looking in 'My Network Places' on the other 2 PCs?

Best solution??
1: Change the IP addresses on the last two PCs to 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 respectively.
2: add in 'mshome.net' to the Connection Specific DNS suffix under "Ethernet Adaptor Local Area Connection" on PC1??
and ...??

Scrap the shared folders environment and just share a folder (EG: Shared Resources) within, say, My Documents, and copy any pertinent files to that for sharing on the network.

Chilling_Silently
18-11-2003, 08:49 AM
> Furthermore I can ping each machine from each other
> machine (via Command Prompt) so I guess each PC can
> communicate with each other okay.
> So would I be correct in assuming that
> A: PC1 needs both the D-Link ethernet adaptor card
> and the Realtek network card?
If you want PC1 to be your Gateway to the internet, then yes :-)

> B: That PC1 in effect has two IP addresses; one for
> internet access allocated from the ISP (202.0.36.27)
> and one for the LAN (192.168.0.1)?
Yes

> C: That PC 2 & 3 would then use the 2nd IP address
> from PC1 as their default gateway address?
That being 192.168.0.1, yse

> D: That I can delete the 'Dial Up Adaptor' listed
> under Device Manager on PC3 as I'm assuming that
> relates to a dial up modem connection and is there by
> default?
Yeah, I s'pose

> E: Why, after running the Win XP Networking wizard
> can't I see a shared folder displayed for PC2 when
> looking in 'My Network Places' on the other 2 PCs?
Its XP... Need I say more? ;-)

> Best solution??
> 1: Change the IP addresses on the last two PCs to
> 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 respectively.
Sounds like a good idea to me :-)

> 2: add in 'mshome.net' to the Connection Specific DNS
> suffix under "Ethernet Adaptor Local Area Connection"
> on PC1??
> and ...??
Nope, on PC1, you want the following to be your DNS servers:

On PC's 2 and 3, set the DNS servers as:

> Scrap the shared folders environment and just share a
> folder (EG: Shared Resources) within, say, My
> Documents, and copy any pertinent files to that for
> sharing on the network.

Yeah, something like that...
I'd setup a folder on PC1 and call it Transport.
Make it Read/Write access for everybody and have everybody map it as drive T or something to that effect.... Makes life much easier for sharing files, just put it on the Transport folder :-)

Hope this helps

Chill.

mark.p
18-11-2003, 09:39 AM
Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons and much underated network protocol for just printer and file sharing is ol NetBuie-http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/networking/netbeui.asp

Murray P
18-11-2003, 09:44 AM
I don't see any reason for you to be using 2 network adapters in PC1 unless your external cable router cannot connect to your switch. Can you access the router via your browser as with adsl? If you are using 2 network adapters then you should be using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which IMO is redundent and unnesessary when you have a switch.

I'm assuming your router will act the same as an adsl modem/router and will be the gateway for your network to the wan rather than PC1 (much cleaner if you can, if not let us know).

So, Plug all your computers into the switch and the router into its uplink port. Set up all your computers network adapters with IP's like
PC1 = 192.168.0.2,
PC2 = 192.168.0.3,
PC3 = 192.168.0.4
with the gateway for each set to 192.168.0.1. Which assumes you can set your cable router to this or use whatever your ISP has set as the IP for the router if you can't configure it yourself, ph them to find out if necessary.

All subnets should be 255.255.255.0 and your prefered DNS server whatever your ISP has supplied (I find this easier to do via Control Panel, Network, Properties than a wizard and don't usually use DHCP, ie, Obtain an IP adress automatically).

The most important aspect of the above configuration is that you can access your router or know its IP address and you prefered and secondary DNS servers. To do it clean it might be best to delete all settings and start from scratch but, get your info all together forst and written down plus your previous settings so you can go back if needed.

A far as I can tell the DE 528 is an old card so go with the Realtek in PC1 unless it has a problem.

Once you have your network up and running and your internet connection shared you can then tackle sharing your folders and devices over the netwok.

Cheers Murray P

mark.p
18-11-2003, 09:55 AM
If you don't have the XP cd you can Netbuei for XP here-http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/evonotebook/us/download/14086.html

agent
18-11-2003, 12:33 PM
Just out of interest, do you have any firewalls enabled on any of the computers?

The point is, that firewalls can prevent you from seeing shared folders and can also stop your computer resolving hostnames of computers to IPs.

Chemical Ali
18-11-2003, 12:49 PM
Attn: Agent
No I don't have any firewalls operating -- often considered it but concerned it will intefere with/degrade my onling gaming experience so haven't bothered.
Got good anti-virus protection on each PC though as well as running Adaware Pro.

Attn: Murray P
With the D-link card and having cable for my broadband internet access -- would it be possible to only use the Realtek card?.

For my internet setup I have a desktop COM21 modem from which the cable (coming in from street) connects to. An RJ45 like piece of cable also runs from the COM21 modem to the D-Link PCI card at the back of my PC.
There are no other connections left free on the COM21 modem so don't think it can function as a router.
Would it be possible to run that cable direct from the COM21 modem to the realtek card but then how do I connect PC1 to the network switch??!

Murray P
18-11-2003, 02:27 PM
What model is the Com21 modem?

cheers Murray P

Chemical Ali
18-11-2003, 02:32 PM
It is a CP2100.

Regards

C Ali

Murray P
18-11-2003, 02:37 PM
Additionaly, who is your ISP and connection provider. Is it cable as per Teltra/Clear/Saturn or ADSL as per Telecom? (hope I haven't missed some pertinent point further up the page). AFAIK cable does not connect via an RJ45 plug so, if you've got cable the RJ45 is to connect to your Lan via the switch and then to your ethernet/Lan cards or a 2nd ethernet/Lan card in the gateway PC if you use ICS (windows & messy IMO)

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
18-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Can't find that modem yet. Are there any other identifying features or numbers on it, does it have a USB connection as well?

This from the net:

Com21 has recently sold a number of its product lines to other companies.

* ComUNITY system ("ATM system"): HS Data Solutions
* DOXport cable modems: CastleNet
* DOXcontroller cable modem terminating system (CMTS): ARRIS

All other products are discontinued and support/service are no longer available from Com21.

Cheers Murray P

Chemical Ali
18-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Nah
No USB connection.
Apart from the model number it just has a serial number.
Its really just a modem by the looks of it - it has the 2 connections that I previously advised on the back and 5 LEDs on the front labelled
PWR RF TD RD LNK
I have had it for at least 2 years now and yes, my cable plan is through Paradise (via Telstraclear).

Murray P
18-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Ok. I don't think you can use your browser to access the router settings, (not quete correct, you can with certain of the router's firmware revisions and the right piece of sofware but Paradise would be most unhappy plus, you could alter your overall connection speed) confirm the router's IP or whatever will work as such for your Lan and if the router will work as a gateway (I assume it does because it has an ethernet uplink port, LNK), thats if you want to drop the 2nd lan card from PC1 and run your lan and internet connectio through the switch. the take it from there as per above.

I also take it that the router is leased/rented from paradise? They don't seem to be supported any more by the manufacturer.

Cheers Murray P