PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using DriveCrypt Plus Pack???

PoWa
17-11-2003, 12:16 AM
I have programs like Norton Internet Security and other programs like Antivirus installed onto another partition (D:\Programs). This partition is not my OS partition and these programs are required to start up at boot time.

Anyway I was having a play round with the trial version of this software, and found that if I encrypt the (D:\Programs) partition and reboot, then none of the programs that are supposed to load up on boot start up at all. NIS and Antivirus give a major error about not being able to find the required files etc. And if I try accessing anything on the partition, then it doesn't exist. Its like the partition wasn't even decrypted on bootup so it could be accessed?

The only way I could get my data back was to open up the main DriveCrypt PlusPack program and enter in my very long passwords. Then I could access the data on the partition, but it was too late for any programs that needed to start up on bootup, they would never run.

Some people have large hard drives with multiple partitions, with programs being installed on a separate partiton, so does this software accommodate for this? Can it automatically decrypt the other partitions without requiring a password? My thought on this is, if they wanted a certain partition to decrypt with password each time then they should use the other program "DriveCrypt".

I would like it so all the encrypted partitions on my computer are immediately available as soon as the OS loads. Is this possible?

-=JM=-
17-11-2003, 01:08 AM
Well if you're going to encrypt something, what is the point if you're going to have it decrypted like ALL THE TIME?

PoWa
17-11-2003, 03:51 AM
JM I don't think you understand how the program works. When something is requested it only decrypts that specific block and transfers that into memory - its not decrypting the whole disk and leaving it decrypted. Heres the link (http://www.securstar.com/products_drivecryptpp.php)

-=JM=-
17-11-2003, 08:44 AM
> Can it automatically decrypt the other partitions without requiring a password?

When you mention that it makes me wonder what is the point in encrypting in the first place. All someone needs to do is take your whole rig and bingo, they've got access.

Have you played around with the "Pre-Boot Authentication" that sounds as if it should do what you're wanting. Or you could just not encrypt the section of the the harddisks that are having the problem.

PoWa
17-11-2003, 02:46 PM
Yea the password is in the Pre-Boot authentication. The whole MBR is replaced and that is when you have to enter your password or everything on the disk is innaccessible (encrypted). So if you were to actually take the disc out and put it in as slave in another computer you likely could not access anything because the whole thing would be encrypted.

If the pre-boot authentication is successful then the OS loads up as normal, but it is still all fully encrypted. When the OS or something requests data then it only decrypts that specific block and transfers that into memory - its not decrypting the whole disk and leaving it decrypted. Think of it this way: its more protecting the drive if it was stolen etc.

Anyway the Securstar tech support guy gave me the answer I was looking for. If I wanted to do that, then I needed to encrypt the second partition with the SAME key as I encrypted the BOOT partition (which needs to be encrypted as well). In this case all partitions will be accessible at the same time. In my case I was using different keys for each partition... so I'll try using the same key this time, I bet it will work now.

Thanks anyway JM. Give it a go sometime, its reasonably interesting :p