PDA

View Full Version : Linux -> Win XP

TideMan
16-11-2003, 09:32 PM
I've tried RedHat Linux (on an old Celeron 500 that was destined for the dump), but I can't get the hang of it and I find the whole thing too clunky compared to XP. Now, I need a backup m/c, so I want to convert my Celeron back from Linux to Windows. How do I go about that? I have the old Win 98 CD-ROM, but I want to install XP to make the system compatible with my present desktop. Can I just buy XP, bung the CD-ROM in the slot and start it? Or is it more complicated than that? I suspect it is....

segfault
16-11-2003, 10:00 PM
It's a shame you didn't like Linux, but here is what you need to do.

You should be able to stick the XP cd in and install it. Just to make sure it works though, get an MS-DOS boot disk with fdisk on it and use it to delete the Linux partition. Also, run "fdisk /mbr" to get rid of the old MBR. Put in the XP install cd and you should be right.

mark.p
16-11-2003, 10:25 PM
Boot disk images are available here-http://bootdisk.com/ if you don't have any handy.

beama
17-11-2003, 12:13 AM
I had trouble with the dos fdisk in that it didn't recognize the linux file system (ext2 & 3 ) fdisk knew there were partions there but could not delete them ( kept getting a message "non dos partion"),
If you have this trouble I would reccomend using a freeware program called delpart (do a search on google). If you do use this program be warned there is NO coming back from it once used just like fdisk.

Chilling_Silently
17-11-2003, 12:18 AM
IIRC, Its Option 4 in FDisk to delete a "Non-DOS Partition".

Look up Ranish Partition Manager while you're at it, and there's a FAQ on Partitioning Written here by yours truly. I dont think it covers this however, which could be something good to add.

When installing WinXP, it'll give you a basic partition manager and you can use that to delete the partitions and setup XP where you want it :-)

...Its a shame Linux didnt suit your needs, perhaps it was just Redhat, and/or your Window manager.. I hope your Windows days are filled with less grief than mine were :-)

Chill.

beama
17-11-2003, 07:05 AM
IIRC, Its Option 4 in FDisk to delete a "Non-DOS Partition"
tried that one too Chill'
must have been one of those days then ?:|

mark.p
17-11-2003, 07:05 AM
Yip delete any non-dos partion. Linux's Disk Druid and fdisk can also remove the partitions

cyberchuck
17-11-2003, 07:19 AM
There are limitations to FDisk, despite how useful it can be if you don't want to dish out money.. One of the limitations is you have to kill the partitions in order, so when you choose to delete your partition you have the list:
1 - Non Windows Partition boot (or whatever it's called) size
2 - " " " " " "

So you have to delete partition one first and work your way down. Then you have to save the settings, close fdisk and reset your machine and hope that it works correctly. Also, if you have 2 HDD's in your machine, you get another 'special' option (Option 5 IIRC) which is Change Current Drive and allows you to kill the partitions on the other drive...

Otherwise, you can just put your Windows install in the CD Drive, boot up, tell it to kill all existing partitions on the machine and to use the entire HDD, write to the MBR and that should automatically do it for you?

CyberChuck

Chilling_Silently
17-11-2003, 07:47 AM
Did you delete any logical drives in the extended partition?

IMHO, wait for the XP CD to do it.. :-)