PDA

View Full Version : Easy Backups (nov 2003 page 91) - Problems :-)

mejobloggs
16-11-2003, 05:23 PM
It was easy, untill I had a problem.

I am using a cd rw, and formatted with InCD.

Let me tell you my problems before I tried Easy backups.

It is a 700mb cd rw, and using nero is fine, except when I format it in InCD, I cannot open Nero, because it says a recorder is already open, so, then I get my backups, and click and drag into the F: using XP pro.

About 530mb, with a 700mb cdrw, yet it says the medium or whatever they call it, has run out of room, about halfway through.

So I tried Easy backups.
When I start it from the cd, it says file not found, then asks me if I want a full, partial or cancel.

I do a full, because I dunno what partial is.
It goes through a long time, and lots of pages in the command thing, presumably adding all the stuff to a zip file.

Then I get up to my outlook.pst and that takes ages because its 400 mb.
Once that finishes, the command thing closes, and nothing else happens.

I thought, yay, it has finished. But when I go to my cd, nothing has changed, no backup.

Rats.

Also, if I look in the cd, like a normal folder, it says its total size is 576mb, not 700, but I dont think that matters.

Fire-and-Ice
16-11-2003, 05:42 PM
I've found that once you format a CDRW disk with InCD it spoils it for using other programs. That is it can only be used with InCD. Format the disk with Nero, Windows or the backup program you are using and try again.

Also, compact your folders in Outlook and see if that helps with the file size.

mejobloggs
16-11-2003, 05:51 PM
But if I format the disk with Nero, can I still use it like a floppy?

Or do I have to erase it all every time I want to use it?

Fire-and-Ice
16-11-2003, 06:40 PM
I've just read the article you are referring to and now understand a bit more what you mean. Haven't tried the suggestions yet though so can't really advise any further. Will say however that unfortunately you can't use CDRW disks like a floppy with Nero, only with InCD.

If I get time I'll have a play with Easy Backups and get back to you.

BTW a partial backup is backing up the files that have changed since the last full backup was performed. You normally do a full backup first then partial after that until the next full backup.

mejobloggs
17-11-2003, 09:28 AM
Ah, thanks.

I think my problem is either that I don't have enough room on the cd, which i do, but it says I dont.

Or it could be something to do with it telling me 'file not found' when I start that backup.bat

It is a 700mb cdrw, so why does it run out of room when I try to put 530mb on it?

tommy
17-11-2003, 10:03 AM
> I think my problem is either that I don't have enough
> room on the cd, which i do, but it says I dont.
>
> Or it could be something to do with it telling me
> 'file not found' when I start that backup.bat
>
> It is a 700mb cdrw, so why does it run out of room
> when I try to put 530mb on it?

InCD uses up quite a lot of space with the TOC which could be why you are "short" of 170MB. It may not actually be using as much as 170MB but if you are trying to save a large file it may be just a little too big to fit.

mejobloggs
17-11-2003, 11:24 AM
But the disk says 576mb free, and I am trying to put 530mb on it.