PDA

View Full Version : Loss of audio

jarques
16-11-2003, 12:38 PM
Following out instructions from Windows update that a driver needed downloading I went ahead but the installation stalled when I could not find the disc required. I've now lost sound and the volume control is gone from the desktop.
Under System Properties/Device Manager/Sound Video and Game Controller/ ESS Allegro-1 Device manager/General, I am told that this device is working properly and there is a tick on "exists in all hardware profiles".
Under Programs/Entertainment/ I click Volume Control and nothing happens.
Under Multimedia Properties/Audio, the Playback and Recording subsets say "use any available device" under Prefered Device. But, both sets of Advanced Options and "Show volume control on Toolbar" are greyed out.
I have found my sound CD. Any ideas folks on this black All Black day?
And also, for some reason my screen has developed a black border which stays when I hit F11 and makes me feel like I'm making funeral invitations when I use Word. Cheers
John

godfather
16-11-2003, 12:46 PM
Sounds like (pun intended) the driver update has given you a set of generic chipset drivers, and not the specific ones you had. Includes a video driver as well by the description.

As a general rule, its not always wise to use MS driver updates, its OK to do critical updates though.

Are you using XP or ME?
If so, simply do a restore to a point prior to the update. That should restore the correct drivers.

godfather
16-11-2003, 12:47 PM
And welcome to the PressF1 community.
:)

jarques
16-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the welcome Godfather. I'm using 98.

Chilling_Silently
16-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Well John, Im assuming that the Sound Card isnt On-board, so going to a motherboard manufacturers website is pretty much a no-go'er.

Try driverguide.com
Throw in the specifics of your card and see what you come up with.

Free sign up (U/name is "drivers", password is "all" IIRC). They dont seem to spam ya :-)

I highly agree with Godfather, I avoid using MS-specific drivers where I can (Im running Linux on my PC so that's not a problem, but for the Family's PC etc), but Critical patches I install, and the recommended ones if I think they may be relevant.

Hope this helps

Chill.

jarques
16-11-2003, 01:16 PM
The Sound Card is installed and is only a few months old. I did visit the driver site earlier but maybe I should have another look. Thanks Silently

jarques
16-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Didn't have much joy with the driver site as I ended up with the chip manufacturer and couldn't find my model. Cheers John

Chilling_Silently
16-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Im gonna suggest you crack the case on your PC and have a look at the card (Even take it out if it'll help you to see it easier). Note down any identifying numbers, and search for drivers by throwing those numbers/letters into Google.

Or, try:
Open up Device Manager and remove the device.
Restart the PC, and if it doesnt pick it up on boot, then go Add New Hardware in the Control Panel.

Specify the driver and have a look for one under ESS, and it should (hopefully) list all your drivers you can use for that card.

Hope this helps

Chill.