PDA

View Full Version : Installing newprinter

Gillie
16-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Have just bought a Brother Multi-Function printer-scanner-copier-fax Model MFC-3100C, for a Windows XP Pro PC, and the insructions say to ensure that all Critical/Windows/Driver updates have ben installed first.

Been to Microsoft Updates and downloaded service Pack 1 but it will not instal. Starts Ok but after a few seconds get message saying Service Pack 1 Setup cancelled. Tried about a dozen times with the same result.

Have disabled AVG antivirus programme and checked Update Help files, no change.

Is it really necesary to go through all this just to instal a new printer?

Comments appreciated with thanks

sc0ut
16-11-2003, 10:12 AM
you can download it as a zip file
this means you don't have to use windows to download it
you save it to your desktop and install it later
i'll find U a link

sc0ut
16-11-2003, 10:26 AM
this looks like it
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=83f53be9-28fa-40e8-8ec2-631504ef5e26&displaylang=en

tweak\'e
16-11-2003, 10:50 AM
go and see if you can find it on disk. a lot of pc mags have it on their cover disks. it saves one big download.

FrankS
16-11-2003, 01:44 PM
Couple of thoughts, go to Control Panel| Add/Remove Programs | Service Pack 1 is definitely not listed at bottom of list?
Was Anti Virus running when you intially downloaded the Pack, it may have corrupted it, suggest delete download and start again using above suggestions.

Gillie
17-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Have tried this site several times and always get "This download is unavailable"

Any other suggestions apreciated.

godfather
17-11-2003, 01:26 PM
The link given is faulty.
You cannot post a link if it word-wraps usually, as it adds a space.

The corrected link is here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=83f53be9-28fa-40e8-8ec2-631504ef5e26&displaylang=en)

However its for boot disks for XP Professional, not sure if its really what you want?

Gillie
18-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my problem. Howvere it looks as though I may not have expressed it clearly.

The problem is that the instructions for installing the Brother printer/copier/scanner state that BEFORE CONNECTING I must download and instal all Critical/ Windows / Driver updates.

I have downlaoded about 46 Critical updates, and when installing am told that Service Pack 1 must be installed seperately.

I have tried to do this but it starts the installation procedure OK but terminates after about 10 seconds. There is no Error message, just a dialog box which says "Service Pack 1 Set up cancelled".

So the problem does not seem to be in downloading, but in installation.

FrankS
18-11-2003, 06:40 PM
Entered "Service+Pack+1+Set+up+cancelled" in MS Knowledge Base for XP.
Have a look at Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 324720. If I am reading it correct, if you have installed Service Pack 1a you don't need Service Pack 1.
I have installed all critical updates since installing Service Pack 1 and was'nt aware there was a Service Pack 1a. Running XP Home Edition, just checked Add/Remove Progs and have Service Pack 1, 13 off Hotfix 8820291-829558 and 20 off SP2 Hotfix. Do your 46 Critical updates include Service pack 1a?.
Q324720 well worth perusal as it lists the criticals.

FrankS
18-11-2003, 07:30 PM
Have you installed any of the Critical updates before trying to instal Service Pack 1? if so are some of the critical updates in your Add/Remove Progs list marked (SP2)?, should these be installed after Service Pack 1 is installed?
Secondly, is it possible to instal all the critical patches for Service Pack 1 (1a) individually, therefore when you go to instal Service Pack 1 you get a cancellation notice.

Gillie
19-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Thanks to everyone who took the time and trouble to anwer my call for help. It really is appreciated.

However, I had to accept that I did not have the knowledge or capabilility to follow all the threads, so went to my local computer shop for advice. I am told that my problem is something to do with the Windows OS and the only fix is to reinstall Windows.

I've been running Windows for over five years now and never done an update, and never had a problem so am going to have to think about that option for a while.

Cheers everyone.

Gillie

Jester
19-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Hi there Gillie

Have you actually tried installing the software for the printer? I would give that a go first. The instructions may say to have all updates completed etc but may not have much relevance to the operation of the printer. Pop the installation CD in and give it a shot. You may find it all works perfectly.

J
:D

xtraka
19-11-2003, 10:41 PM
In order to try & help, there's something I'm not sure - you say you bought a printer for a Windows XP pro PC, & yet you say that you've been running Windows for 5 years & never updated? Has anyone picked up on that?
Also to install that printer, you really don't need everything updated - this is from experience. The computer shop may just be trying to get some extra dosh out of you... Just install it & see whether it works or not.