PDA

View Full Version : Gateway Bombardment

sc0ut
16-11-2003, 08:57 AM
Heres a new one . . .
So I plug my PC into my work LAN connection
Change my IP/Gate/DNS options and what happens
The my whole work goes off line (nearly 200 PCs)
Me thinking that Telsta Fiber was down (havenít been too reliable lately) I called them up trying to figure out what is wrong with the connection
1 hr on the phone to TelstraClear we exhausting all possibilities and I give up and tuned my PC off
BANG . . every one gets internet back
Turns out that I was bombarding the Fiber Router with bad packets or I was constantly pinging it (like a Ping hak)
Now whenever I turn my PC on it bombard ONLY the assigned Gateway in my TCP/IP settings
Has this ever happened to anyone?
Itís a fresh install of 2k pro (no SP)
2 possibilities:
1 Bad network card (itís a mini PC http://www.snotmonkey.com/content/stuff/ezGo/ )
2 Window fault **shock horror another one?**

I noticed that when I am doing nothing my connection wizard shows I am sending about 50 packets a second (probable only to the assigned gateway)

agent
16-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Well you could always change your gateway to yourself and see what happens ;)

Perhaps updating it to the latest service pack might resolve the problem though... and reinstalling network drivers, etc.

sc0ut
16-11-2003, 10:03 AM
yea i was thinking about that but why fix a weapon of mass desruction
i think it wold be fun going round to places pluging it in :)
it would be a good networking test for Uni Students
it would be hell trying to find out whats wrong with the network

agent
16-11-2003, 10:08 AM
Well, I don't know about you or anyone else, but I really would like to see what happens when your gateway is 127.0.0.1 ]:)

BIFF
16-11-2003, 01:58 PM
Sounds like you have a worm.

Graham L
16-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Is it trying to access a DHCP server in the outside world? Put it on a network of itself and one other, and run Ethereal or tcpdump, or some other packet capture programme to see what it is sending.

You've got something misconfigured; not even MS network software would be that bad. :D