PDA

View Full Version : CD-RW installation

ramu
15-11-2003, 07:16 PM
My PC is AMD Duron 950MHz and system OS is Win XP Home Edn.
I have already a CDR. Recently I have bought a Samsung 52x24x52
CD-RW. The comuter was custom built.

The MB is GA7ZMMH.

I would like to know how do I set up the CD-RW.

I think that I have to connect a ribbon cable (what is it, I don't know!) which is available like a 'left over' from the existing CDR and the 3-4 pin plug (again, no knowledge, presume it is power!) that will fit into a socket at the back of the CD-RW. My brain works!!! Does it?

What do I do with the audio cable which is now connected to the CDR (I identified the audio cable by reading the diagram of the MB from its Manual).

Please give me advice on the audio cable, how the master-slave set up to be handled with the existing set up, whether I have to do any other things on the MB or just go with the ribbon cable, power plug and the audio cable (still don't know where it should be plugged in).

Cheers
ramu

Peter H
15-11-2003, 07:29 PM
You've got it right. Plug the ribbon cable in - the extra one on your CDr & the power cable. Make sure the CDrw is set for Slave by the link on the rear. Ignore the Audio lead - use your existing one for music.
Bye

Chilling_Silently
15-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Well... Actually, Im going to debate the "slave" part.

You can still run a drive as slave if its in the "master" plug.

I'd recommend you keep the case off ya PC while doing this and install the drive. If it doesnt work then try changing between Master, Slave, and Cable Select (CS).

One will work :-)

Good luck

Chill.

Pheonix
15-11-2003, 07:36 PM
A quick rundown....
On motherboard there are 3 sockets for those "ribbon" cables. One is narrower than the other two. This is the floppy, the other 2 are IDE (0 & !)

You can have 2 devices on each IDE ribbon cable. One must be a master, and the other a slave. Links on each device are moved to set this. Where the link goes for each is usually printed on each device.

My preference is to have the hard drive only on the IDE 0 with CD and CDRW set up as master/slave on the secondary IDE 1. (NOTE the Hard Drive is normally on IDE 0 anyway)

Check in BIOS that the IDE 1 primary and secondary are not allocated as "not used" and start PC normally. Should detect the drives and then just a case of installing the programs to enable you to write CDR's.

The only problem you may run up against is that some IDE ribbon cables didn't allow for 2 devices with a plug on each end only. You will jusy need to get one with 3 plugs on the lead.

Good luck

ramu
16-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Thanks Peter. Feel so good now.
ramu

ramu
16-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Thanks to you Chilling_Siliently.
ramu

ramu
16-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Thanks Pheonix.