csinclair83
15-11-2003, 05:44 PM
r u kidding me?
just to remind u...
nz v australia and england v france

ayway my picks are nz win by 10+ and france by 5 or less

Elephant
15-11-2003, 07:00 PM
If they were playing in my back garden I wouldn't bother looking out the window.

The whole thing has got too professional for my taste. Win at ALL costs etc.

I don't like losing but I wouldn't bend or break the rules in order to win.

Rugby became a mobile wrestling, boxing match some time ago. If we can hit the Guy when the Ref isn't looking we will do it.

Elephant
15-11-2003, 07:05 PM
BTW.... I'm a fifth generation Kiwi and proud of it.

My view is though that all sport including the Olympics (which was supposed to be amateur) has got far too serious.

It's only a GAME!!!

Winston001
15-11-2003, 08:00 PM
Wash your mouth out with Speights Elephant!

Rugby is a living metaphor. The young nation, former colony, brash individualists, taking on giants and winning. The professionalism represents a coming of age. ;\

fergie
15-11-2003, 08:09 PM
o no, not this again...
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=40346&message=205659&q=rugby+world+cup#205659

I'm picking NZ by 30 pts +.

Well - i hope it is anyway!

Winston001
15-11-2003, 08:52 PM
Thanks for reminding me Fergie - had a sense of deja vu with this thread.

However I am still mystified about everyone loving this "Raymond" cove.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
15-11-2003, 10:24 PM
DAM AUZZIES... Don't worry, we'll get ya! ARGH!X-(

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
15-11-2003, 10:25 PM
No, we havn't lost, they just scored the first try ;-)

Baldy
15-11-2003, 11:12 PM
If NZ loses, half the population will be admitted to mental hospitals, suffering severe depression

agent
15-11-2003, 11:27 PM
Oh please, depression? :D

Baldy
15-11-2003, 11:34 PM
Gurss what team is starting to panic :-(

agent
15-11-2003, 11:37 PM
I didn't think 0-7 was too bad at 18 minutes... plenty of time to catch up, right?

Haven't checked back again, but I get the feeling that 7-0 would've been more preferable.

stu140103
15-11-2003, 11:52 PM
> If NZ loses, half the population will be admitted to
> mental hospitals, suffering severe depression

Does NZ have enough mental hospitals???? for NZers??? :D :D

Baldy
16-11-2003, 12:05 AM
when it came to the crunch, NewZealand lacked experience

So much for Mr Mitchells snubbing of Anton Oliver, Taine Randall, Cully etc

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
16-11-2003, 12:07 AM
Well done, you've done us proud.

You're ALL BACK now :D!

csinclair83
16-11-2003, 12:17 AM
what the hell does it take to win the world cup?

they better keep that hamner one open (mental hossy) so theres enough....

wheres the best one to go.....

we suck...we choked.....what journy were we even on......

we may as well be the 7th state of australia to stop torturing ourselves...

and whos head are we gonna put on the chopping board this time?
last world cup it was john hart.....

all i think we needa do now is keep the same team and same coach and just improve and 2007 France, god knows...

but it was a great season i gotta say, we got the bleeding loe cup back after quite a few years, and the trinations, and put 50 pts on aussie at home.....

maybe next world cup ban all the media interveiws, ban all the mail/faxes they get from us....ban every thing to do with the all blacks 2 months b4 and during world cup, and only interveiw is when the captain talks at end of game......
and if we win...blame the media for the past :D

anyway...

*goes looking for a hospital*

:(:(:(

Baldy
16-11-2003, 12:29 AM
>
> but it was a great season i gotta say, we got the
> bleeding loe cup back after quite a few years, and
> the trinations, and put 50 pts on aussie at
> home.....

Yes, who needs to win the World Cup when you can beat them by 50pts, when for only 12 more than us tonight the can OWN the World Cup. Hey its a crappy wee cup anyway when compared to the "groovy" Tri-nations or Bledislow Cup

agent
16-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Oh come on, you're not doing the medical sector any justice by looking for a hospital ;)

Step 1: act crazy in public
Step 2: get detained by a police officer
Step 3: get referred to a psychologist
Step 4: get psyschoanalysed
Step 5: get send to a mental institution

That way, seeing as you're going to spend the rest of your existence wondering why we lost, you can at least spend large sums of money in the flailing medical sector first :p :D

csinclair83
16-11-2003, 12:34 AM
i als have to say the ref has to be a bit suspect 2nite

but one postive out of tonights game is.......
it is a high chance to be a nz ref in the final...

and did anyone hear about what the aussie CEO stupid man oneill wanted?

earlier this year there was ideas of a 3 test belidsloe instead of the normal 2...
they wanted the bledisloe on the line 2nite as well as a place in the world cup final...

and nz said "get stuffed"

thats what oneil said the nzrfu told him...

Baldy
16-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Bring back Laurie

csinclair83
16-11-2003, 12:40 AM
bring back buck
bring back lomu
bring back kirwan
bring back the 87 team

whetu
16-11-2003, 01:22 AM
>>bring back buck
yes.. someone to show them how to be an old school hard arse
>>bring back lomu
no, he's always been over-rated and the popularity went to his head pretty quick.. he's past his prime and is only useful when he gets up to full pace, at which speed he's a human tank (just like sailor is for the aussies these days). the problem is that opposition figured this out fairly quickly and had 3+ men on him at any given time, so he's effectively useless (just like sailor is for the aussies these days ;) ). you want to bring back a winger? bring back Inga.
>>bring back kirwan
past his prime but was damn.brilliant in his day

just like the last world cup where hart and randell went the way of the dodo, I think mitchell and thorney better look at new career opportunities

Steve Askew
16-11-2003, 08:56 AM
> bring back buck
> bring back lomu
> bring back kirwan
> bring back the 87 team

Hey Chris I'm surprised you are old enough to remember the 87 team ? :O

Also back in 87 the road to victory was a bit easier as South Africa were still banned from international rugby at time.

I agree with Whetu regarding Lomu, Hes over paid ,over rated & over his used by date.

It's a bit hard to beat a good team like the Aussies when youve left 2 of the best players in the world at home Eg; Merhtens & Cullen.
It's a bit like trying to play with one arm tied behind your back.

And as for Mitch, There are 2 types of coachs, Sacked coachs & ones waiting to be sacked, I wonder what sort of coach he will be now?

Cheers Steve

Disclaimer: these views are mine & not necessarily those of the NZRFU or its members or the people of PressF1 :p

Baldy
16-11-2003, 10:05 AM
> And as for Mitch, There are 2 types of coachs,
> Sacked coachs & ones waiting to be sacked, I wonder
> what sort of coach he will be now?
>
> Cheers Steve

Mitchell will be fine Steve. When it comes the time for him to explain himself to the NZRFU, no-one there will know what he is on about

fergie
16-11-2003, 10:23 AM
:_|

Micth has said he wants to stay on - that he's not going to quit, and its up to his employers (and the pressure he gets form public) wether he stays on.

Someone said it ealrier - That he should stay on till the next RWC.
I think they should keep him on for 1 or 2 years - see how it goes - and then decide to keep him for the cup.

Because he has been a good coach - he has had a good year (till now) and he's created a new style of rugby that is good to wtach, and hard for teams (most anyway!) to play agianst.

But one guy thats got to go - Ruben Thorne,

my thoughts anyway

csinclair83
16-11-2003, 10:23 AM
i was only 4 when the 87 world cup occured but theres been tapes out about it, theres been docomentries about it, theres been news about it, theres been photos and arictiles in papers..how could i not remember it lol

i think they should keep the team together this time....as if u pull the team apart then we gonna lose a few games on the trot b4 we start clicking...

and maybe we might have more chance as all the other team are getting old...
like the english, and south africans...i dunno about the aussies as half of them are ok..

oh well

now support england to beat france and go give the aussies a hiding they deserve....and we get to beat france in 3rd/4th for revenge of 99....

and i kinda think its good we lost coz if we had won the world cup, the expectations from now on would be sky high expecting us to win every single game, and evry world cup to come....and if we lose...there'd be more depression than ever...so its kinda of a catch 22..

but just win the damn thing for once in my generation and even if i was 4 in 1987...i want to see it with my own eyes not from historian tapes and stuff...

fergie
16-11-2003, 10:27 AM
>but just win the damn thing for once in my generation and even if i was 4 in 1987...i want to see it with my own eyes not from historian tapes and stuff...

lol - same here - i was only like a few weeks old when we won it last time...

But i agree with keeping (majority) of the team together. They seemed like a good team - a bit more experience, and we'll be fine...

O - and I'd rather France win tonight (as I think they will) then thay can have revenge for lasts RWC final - and france win, and we play, and totaly thrash (like 40pts) england.
Becuase if england win (the cup) - we won't here the end of it.

Steve Askew
16-11-2003, 10:29 AM
At least Kiwi made Jerseys( CCC) are in the final .:p

& a Kiwi ref too I believe.

Cheers Steve

csinclair83
16-11-2003, 10:30 AM
yeah if france win it..
the expectations of the french would be soooooo big when they host the next world cup in 2007 and flop flop they go...

fergie
16-11-2003, 10:33 AM
yeah, well I'd rather France, (and sad to say England as weel) would win it than Aussie.

how does that phrase go:
"I support NZ, and any team that plays Aussie"

And plus, if aussie win it this year - means they've won it 3 times, don't they get to keep the cup for good - and we just continue to play for "replicas" or something - like teh soccer cup

csinclair83
16-11-2003, 10:50 AM
ohhhhh sh*t yeah ur right...

they can keep it if they win it this time

arrhh

*goes off supporting whoever plays australia*

csinclair83
16-11-2003, 10:58 AM
John Mitchell is set to leave

http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2727967a1823,00.html

fergie
16-11-2003, 11:41 AM
Macquarie Equities investment director Arthur Lim said last night's defeat was likely to dent the economy in the coming week as people would be spending less.

LOL

And here the result from the cricket last night? (thrashed by india)
Oweel - could have been worse - could have been Aussie

fergie
16-11-2003, 11:43 AM
http://www.planetrugby.com/TOURNAMENTS/World_Cup_2003/Tournament_News/story_32663.shtml

I didn't no his contract was ending after tournament.

Graham Henry as coach???

Interesting...

Baldy
16-11-2003, 11:52 AM
>
> and i kinda think its good we lost coz if we had won
> the world cup, the expectations from now on would be
> sky high expecting us to win every single game, and
> evry world cup to come....and if we lose...there'd be
> more depression than ever...so its kinda of a catch
> 22..
>

What kind of logic is that? Kind of good that we lost?????????

csinclair83
16-11-2003, 11:53 AM
copied from xtra.co.nz....

John Mitchell wants to stay on as All Blacks coach as New Zealand pours over another World Cup campaign that ended in semifinal defeat.

The All Blacks lost 10-22 to defending champions Australia in Sydney on Saturday night. Both teams scored one try each but New Zealand was under considerable pressure throughout the match and Elton Flatley kicked the Wallabies home with five penalties.

New Zealand has now bowed out of the last two tournaments at the semifinal stage and is still waiting to regain the World Cup it last won 16 years ago at the inaugural tournament in 1987.

Mitchell said he wouldn't be resigning in the wake of the latest defeat.

"I love coaching. That's up to my employers and who they want to go forward. But this has been a fantastic group to be part of. I have no thought of handing in my resignation," he said.

He got a vote of confidence from John Hart, the All Blacks coach who paid with his job after the last semifinal exit.

"I hope he stays in the job," said Hart. "You've got to stick with people and he's got a pretty good record. He drops a game and the roof caves in. I hope commonsense prevails."

Mitchell strongly denied the All Blacks were "chokers" despite their poor record in big matches at the World Cup since 1987.

"We didn't choke at all. We just got beaten by a better team. We have a particular framework and we were not able to establish it. We're not chokers - that's just a buzzword that goes around."

He pointed to the breakdowns and his team's inability to get quality possession.

"In a lot of ways our execution of skills, especially in the carry and sometimes in the tackle, let us down tonight. We didn't deal with the contact area very well and we got a lot of slow ball which ended up being no ball."

csinclair83
16-11-2003, 11:55 AM
lol its never good that we lost

but if u think of it this way..

we win the world cup...then every single game from that day onwards the expectation would be worse/higher and expect us to win every single game...
and if we lose one of those games, we mite need more hospitals than we do right now...and the economy mite be worse off than it mentions it mite be now as we mope around with what ifs

but i do want us to win the world cup.....for sure....

parry
16-11-2003, 01:38 PM
Thats the trouble with the media in this country when it comes to rugby - there is no middle ground, either we are the best in the world or crap.

Before the Sth Africa game we were supposed to be shite and everyone at the TAB (except me) were apparently backing Sth Africa and this is the game we should be worried about.

I wasnt because...
1) Sth Africa got hammered by everyone - there European tour was a shocker and Tri-Nations no better.
2) They never had a settled team with their revolving door policy
3) We had a scare the week before so wouldnt be complacent

This week the signs were all bad and I was very worried before this game...
1) Media wouldnt contemplate Aussie as a serious threat and it was just a case of "by how much". Overconfidence anyone?
2) Aussies backs were against the wall. Coach and players all fighting for survival and any team in this position is hard to beat.
3) Aussies were at home and current champions. Home advantage and not letting go of a trophy means something especially when the stakes are big enough.

Unfortunately I can see several people going and we will have to rebuild yet again when I think the current team could have done it, but were stuffed on the day. Bugger it.

Farewell.... John , Robbie and Rueben.

Hello... who knows? Perhaps Graham Henry?

I heard Deaker on the radio saying we will be gutless if we lose the next one. Hes a tosser - were playing France or England - no easy beats in anyones book and for their sakes I hope the Blacks win.

Scouse
16-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Farewell.... John , Robbie and Rueben.

Hello... who knows? Perhaps Graham Henry?

Give Peter Jackson a run. Seems to get the best from everyone.

fergie
16-11-2003, 04:06 PM
>Hello... who knows? Perhaps Graham Henry?

Yeah, well i guess thats all there is.
Who else is there?
Laurie mains - lol.

Should get the great 'naki man - Colin Cooper!