PDA

View Full Version : MS DOS Memory

technogs
15-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Hello

Can someone please tell me how to make MS DOS to run bigger programs?
I have a program 128Mb that needs to be install but MS DOS says "Program too big to fit in memory"?

Can someone please help with this

Thanks

Shaun

Terry Porritt
15-11-2003, 04:47 PM
If you are talking of "pure" dos, rather than a dos window within windows, then you cant. The largest executable in dos is about 600KB or so. With a bit of tweaking it can get up to around 628KB.

The only way to run larger executables as far as I know would be from within windows (hopefully).

godfather
15-11-2003, 04:49 PM
You need to say what operating system version you are running (assuming here you are running Windows) and what the program is.

That error can be from many things, from a virus infected file to non-compatable program (DOS 16 bit program running under Windows DOS emulation) and many more.

Terry Porritt
15-11-2003, 05:18 PM
I forgot to mention that if the dos program has been written to include a dos extender like dos/4gw, then the 640k barrier in real mode running can be exceeded. But as Goddie says if you are getting the error message in windows the problem is elsewhere.

Here's a bit of info on dos memory that is useful:
http://www.mvps.org/winmac/doswin.html

technogs
15-11-2003, 05:26 PM
hey i am running windows xp trying to run the program from within windows in ms dos, and also tried rebooting the computer into ms dos and that said the same thing

godfather
15-11-2003, 05:41 PM
XP does not have DOS underpinning it like earlier Windows versions.

It only has a DOS emulator under Windows.

If you have a shortcut created to the program, right click it and choose properties Select the Compatability tab, and try running it as Windows 95.

If that doesn't work, then its probably not able to run under XP and needs a real DOS environment, however a program of that size (128 MB) is very large for an old DOS program. Perhaps you mean 128 kB?

What is the program?